This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, Mister...

A while back, as a young, innocent, naive teenage cashier, I used to enjoy making small talk with customers. So one evening around eight PM, man comes in and buys three spray cans of whipped cream.

Me: "Good evening! Whacha doing with all this whipped cream?"
    Him: (leery eyes) "How old are you?"
    Me: "Sixteen."
    Him: "Then I'm making a pie."

"several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
    -FSTDT

Be very very glad you didn't say 18. It probably would have resulted in mental pictures you did NOT need.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Way to think on your toes, hun! I'm proud of you!
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

What I have noticed is when you buy condoms, nobody giggles, laughs, jokes.

But buy whip cream and strawberries because you are making strawberry shortcake, and the cashier either turns red or snickers, even if you buy biscuits with them.

The guy in the OP, however, sounds like a creep.
        If watermelons are made up of water, what are kumquats made up of?
        www.myspace.com/rentalracer

Comment

Quoth RentalRacer View Post
          But buy whip cream and strawberries because you are making strawberry shortcake, and the cashier either turns red or snickers, even if you buy biscuits with them.
          Oh, I don't giggle at THAT. It's when they're also buying the plastic handcuffs from the toy section that makes me snicker.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

So if anyone complains that cashiers don't make any "friendly small talk," now they know why...
            "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

"The guy in the OP, however, sounds like a creep."

Nah, just kinky. If he were a creep, he would have told her what he was really doing, even knowing she was only 16.

I liked his answer!

Comment

My daddy taught me a lesson a very long time ago: Never ask a question unless you're sure you want to know the answer. (along with, "never ask an important question unless you're sure you already know the answer.")
                I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Nah he isnt kinky... like the saying goes. Feathers are adventerous, the whole chicken is kinky!
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well, that, and the question went a bit beyond friendly smalltalk and could THEORETICALLY have been considered suggestive.

If a cashier asks me what I'm going to be doing with my purchases, I consider that having entered the realm of personal information (although I don't like to SHARE my personal information with cashiers LOL) I love the guy's answer though
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

It's pretty common (here, at least) to comment on someone's purchases ("Oh, have you had these? They're really good," or "You must be making such-and-such. Seems like everyone's having that tonight!") I worked (and still work with) old women; you know how they are.

Also, like I said, I was naive. I didn't know people used whipped cream for things not involving angel food cake and strawberries. =P
                      "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
                      -FSTDT

Comment

Heh, reminds me of the time I went to the sporting goods store...
                        Him: That's quite a bit of rope! Where are you going climbing in this weather? (it was the middle of a CO winter)
                        Me: ....Um.... I'm not....*ahem*
                        Him: Oh! Oh. Ohhhhhhh... Well, have you given any thought to our dynamic climbing rope?

He's my favorite staff member there!
                        Haikus are easy
                        But sometimes they don't make sense
                        Refrigerator

Comment

it's not the act of initiating small-talk with a customer that I thought was weird, it was the question itself My father's a pig, so my sexual naiveté died very early.
                          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth ContraCorriente View Post
                            Him: (leery eyes) "How old are you?"
                            Was that leery as in 'wary and cautious' or leery as in 'lewd and perverted'? The first one, yeah, he's just planning a good time and trying not to harm innocent minds. If it's the other one...

Quoth MCSledgehammer View Post
                            [A different]Him: Oh! Oh. Ohhhhhhh...
                            And I can just PICTURE the expression on the guy's face as realization dawns.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth MCSledgehammer View Post
                              Heh, reminds me of the time I went to the sporting goods store...
                              Him: That's quite a bit of rope! Where are you going climbing in this weather? (it was the middle of a CO winter)
                              Me: ....Um.... I'm not....*ahem*
                              Him: Oh! Oh. Ohhhhhhh... Well, have you given any thought to our dynamic climbing rope?

He's my favorite staff member there!
                              I have to ask - was what he was thinking REALLY what you intended, or were you just playing a joke on him?
                              Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Working...
                              X