This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big changes at Big Green Cab Co

So, the last time I posted, certain things were happening that were disadvantageous to we drivers. (I mentioned them in my post Time for something else.) Those things have continued, but my job search never really started.

Big changes have happened in the past 6 months. One of our 3 locations (Flat Table City) was closed, with all personnel, equipment, etc. being transfered to the main location (Superbowl Stadium City, which is also where corporate is). Those transfers were... interesting. You see, when you have X shifts available, but X * 2 people to fill said shifts with... well, I'm sure you all can guess what happened. (For those that can't, all the highest-paid (and most-experienced) people in most categories were let go. I don't know what it was officially called, "layoffs", "downsizing", whatever.)

The people let go included all of our trainers except one, our two most awesome yard attendants, half of the cash office, half of the shop employees, the facilitator that everyone liked (although, to be fair, he was a contractor, while the guy they kept is an actual employee), and the safety manager (although the real reasons he was let go, I'll deal with in another post, some other time). There may have been more people let go that I don't know about... for example, I haven't heard anything about the Mesa Area Manager (the guy overall in charge of the closed location; essentially a VP).

In addition to massive personnel changes, there have been some rule changes that drive me bonkers. One that really pisses me off is one that is related to a pending lawsuit... Nothing I can't say, but it really deserves a thread of its own. (Later.)

There is the occasional bit of good news as well. Most notably, weekly leases of wheelchair vans dropped by a significant fraction, only the second time Big Green Cab Co has lowered anything they charge drivers (not including specials for holidays or whatever). The reason they did this was because corporate wants wheelchair drivers to be on weekly leases, as opposed to 12- or 24-hour leases.

Related to that, and at the same time, a really bad rule was implemented: 12-hour drivers can now be bumped out of their vans by 24-hour and weekly drivers. Say I'm checking out a van for a 12-hour shift, and I have a really good van... let's say #200. Another driver could walk in while I'm checking #200 out and tell the yard attendant that he wanted #200 for a 24-hour shift. He would get the van, and I'd have to go back on the waiting list, possibly missing out on the chance to work at all. (I don't know what would happen if he came in after I left... would I get called back in? Or would he be told too bad?) Of course, that can't happen to me; as soon as the lease rate dropped, I (and almost every other wheelchair driver) switched to weekly. (In my case, back to weekly, but whatever.)

In other news, Big Green Cab Co tried to compete more directly with Uber by creating their own ridesharing service, with its own app and everything. It was (and still is) a complete failure, for a few reasons:
    1. drivers refused to use it (for the first year, it only worked on a very short list of phones, the cheapest of which was $500)
    2. the company didn't advertise it hardly at all
    3. after a while, it was found that the app was extremely easy to defraud, so the company basically put the kibosh on it

We still have the app, and I guess people still use it to request rides once in a while... but it's pretty rare any more. (I've only done about a dozen trips off the app over an almost-2-year period.) But not too long ago, word came down from on high that a new app was in the works. Sigh.

(The app was also used to launch another new company that is sorta like Uber for medical transportation: people driving their own cars, getting paid a pittance (well, more than Uber, I suppose) to drive people to and from doctor appointments.)

As an added bonus, for the past several days, Desert Hell has been in the grip of a heatwave. (Yeah, I know, desert, but still.) A few days ago we had a day where almost every weather station in the entire state reported record high temperatures. For drivers in normal cars, they can mostly get away with staying in the car and letting the passengers let themselves in (I'm speaking from experience, of course), but with wheelchair passengers... not so much. In fact, not at all; there are things that have to happen that they simply are unable to do at all. Now, I'm a native here -- I grew up in Superbowl Stadium City and spent all but 7 years of my life here -- and this is summer after all, but enough is enough.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

One that really pisses me off is one that is related to a pending lawsuit... Nothing I can't say, but it really deserves a thread of its own.
    Just be careful with that one. Use your own discretion, and go through it a couple times before posting, just to be safe -- we don't want you or anyone else getting themselves in trouble ^_^ (remember, many corporations are Aware of this board, with a capital A)
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm not going to be posting anything that will get me fired (probably), but the things are... well... I don't know. I'll post once I've got them written the way I want them.

And honestly, if I get fired, I'm not terribly worried. (Why that is, is a topic for yet another thread, but remember that I'm a contractor, not an employee.)
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

More worried about you getting SUED for breaching a potentially sealed-records court case. But yeah, firing is a concern, as well. Here at CS, we're compassionate in our dark doings
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Honestly, there's nothing secret, sealed, or anything. Once I write it up and post the thread, you'll see.

Comment

Just curious, but why are there 24 hour leases? You are covered by HOS for drivers of passenger-carrying motor vehicles (and in another thread you indicated that you are already working the legal maximum number of hours), so from coming on duty until you have to stop driving would only extend a bit past 12 hours. That means a 24 hour lease would have you paying for the use of the cab while you're on your mandatory rest break.

I can understand a 1 week lease in that it guarantees you will have the cab available every day for a week.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

ahhhhh the wonderful area i'm moving back to. Looking forward to the 120 degree weather

Comment

I melt in the heat up north here. I'm sure I couldn't deal with it. Plus push and pull wheelchairs. Ugh.

Comment

I'm confused about the 24 and weekly leases as well.

You have my sympathy about having to load up wheelchairs in the heat. Your core temp will go up during those 5 minutes of hefting something, your van will heat up and you will just start to cool off when you have to stop and do it again.

Stealth brag warning: I recently put in for a transfer up north and found out on Friday that I got it. 15 to 20 degrees cooler than downtown hotter than heck! I'll be dealing with some snow in the winter, but that's OK. I can't wait to work somewhere where its not 100 degrees at 10am.

Comment

I also don't get the 24 hour thing. But, since you're a wheelchair driver does that mean you won't have to deal with it since they want you on a weekly lease?

Born and raised in the PNW, and I like it. I know not everyone likes it here, which is totally fair. Life would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Anyway, today is almost my definition of a perfect day. It's about 72 degrees, 56% humidity, with an expected high temp of 74-77 depending on which forecast you believe. So yeah, I'm going to go outside and sit on the lawn and read.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Born and raised in the PNW, and I like it.
                      Born and raised in Phoenix, moved to the PNW nearly ten years ago. I definitely like it much better here. It rarely gets hot, the heat wave lasts maybe two or three days, then it gets back to reasonable temperatures, plus it's only an hour's drive to the beach and cooler temperatures. In Phoenix, it gets to 90 F in April, 100 F in May, 110-120 F in June and doesn't come back down to the mid-80s until around November. And driving to cooler temperatures means going up to Flagstaff where it's maybe 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

I love boasting to my relatives back home, "Oh, it's a warm one, about 85 here," to which they respond, "shut up, it's 120 here!"
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Just curious, but why are there 24 hour leases?
                        Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        I'm confused about the 24 and weekly leases as well.
                        Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        I also don't get the 24 hour thing. But, since you're a wheelchair driver does that mean you won't have to deal with it since they want you on a weekly lease?
                        Well, yes, but...

Here's how leases work, at least with Big Green Cab Co:

12-hour: Pick up between 4-7:30, either end of the day. (This is what we call "day shift" and "night shift".) 12 hours later, drop vehicle at yard. Work generally lasts for about 11-11.5 hours. (Check-out time counts against the lease, as does end-of-day cleanup.) Lease is paid at the end of every shift. Lease amount varies by day-of-week, day-or-night, and vehicle type. New drivers must do their first 10 shifts as 12-hour leases. For longer leases, you have to be qualified by a manager (which just means they've explained to the driver the legal requirements).
                        24-hour: Pick up between 4am-7:30pm, with very strong preference given to the usual 3.5-hour window open to 12-hour leases. Work generally lasts for 12-14 hours at a stretch, followed by off time for 10-12 hours. Vehicle goes home with the driver, or optionally can be left at the yard during off time. (In my opinion, that would defeat the purpose of a 24, but whatever.) 24-hour drivers generally drop the vehicle for 1 or 2 days every week (no lease paid). Lease is paid at the end of every shift. The lease is generally about 45% more than a 12-hour lease. Lease amount varies solely by vehicle type.
                        Weekly: As 24, except the lease is prepaid at the beginning of every week. Lease is 5.2x 24-hour lease (on average; WC van is 4.9x).

The driver chooses what length lease to drive.

For all lease types (except 12, which is too short to matter), there is a legal maximum of 14 hours, with a required break of 6 hours. That 14 hours resets with any period of 6 hours not spent driving, but the driver is meant to be, y'know, sleeping during that time.

The whole point of the longer leases is that the vehicle goes home with the driver. Therefore, the driver can start the day from their home, rather than having to go in to the yard every day. Since I don't own a car (a financial decision that I rarely regret) and there is no bus service near my house, taking the cab home every day makes sense for me.

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        ahhhhh the wonderful area i'm moving back to. Looking forward to the 120 degree weather
                        Quoth Shyla View Post
                        I melt in the heat up north here. I'm sure I couldn't deal with it. Plus push and pull wheelchairs. Ugh.
                        Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                        You have my sympathy about having to load up wheelchairs in the heat. Your core temp will go up during those 5 minutes of hefting something, your van will heat up and you will just start to cool off when you have to stop and do it again.
                        Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Born and raised in Phoenix, moved to the PNW nearly ten years ago. I definitely like it much better here. It rarely gets hot, the heat wave lasts maybe two or three days, then it gets back to reasonable temperatures, plus it's only an hour's drive to the beach and cooler temperatures. In Phoenix, it gets to 90 F in April, 100 F in May, 110-120 F in June and doesn't come back down to the mid-80s until around November. And driving to cooler temperatures means going up to Flagstaff where it's maybe 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix.
                        The heat isn't all that bad. I was born here, and have spent all my life but 7 years here, so I'm as used to it as anyone is... but I keep the a/c on full blast all the time when temps hit about 85.

I don't really spend that much time outside. Walk up to the door, get the passenger, roll them out, about 3 seconds to get the front restraints on their chairs, load them up, a few more seconds for the rear restraints, a few more for seatbelt, then close the hatch and get back in.

Comment

Well two days ago we unloaded a uhaul at 3pm in the 109 heat. We needed much water and I had to resist the urge to walk in the pool fully dressed (the fact that everything I was wearing was soaked in sweat stopped me cause i wanted them OFF) but I didn't resist the urge to swim topless.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds about right. I've moved in the summer before, and it sucks. Last time I did so, about 8 years ago, I won the lovely prize of heat exhaustion. It wasn't even that hot of a day.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                              and driving to cooler temperatures means going up to Flagstaff where it's maybe 10-15 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

I love boasting to my relatives back home, "Oh, it's a warm one, about 85 here," to which they respond, "shut up, it's 120 here!"
                              Or down to Sierra Vista. Mama slicey is a weather nut and did the math on average Sierra Vista is 10-15 degrees cooler and flagstaff 20-25.

Mama slicey also does the last one alot, mostly when it rains. Meimei then calls her a bitch

Comment

Working...
                              X