This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on Days

Been a while since I posted a thread. BG: I work in a precision CNC Mill and Lathe plant making parts for various industries.

So a couple of weeks ago, I went to day shift to get some additional training on some very interesting parts coming up and to finish my setup tech training. Also, they needed extra help on lathes (because of the new parts coming in, and because a couple of people are leaving to go back to school in the fall). This is expected to last between 2-6 months. It was a bit of a surprise, as they gave me and two others about 2 weeks notice of this.

Not a lot of time to prepare my finances because I could not keep my $2/hr differential pay. That is $320/month before taxes, $250 after. But, I can not complain, I have been begging for the last 18 months to do this. Though I was not expecting that length of time or that short of notice. Hopefully, I can start getting Overtime to help make up the difference. Great thing about 10 hr days, Friday is OT and still have Sat. and Sun. off.

I am also loathing that Evil Day Star floating in the sky, making things hot, having all sorts of attitude about me going to bed at 8:30PM. I am missing the cool and calm of the majestic moon. It took me most of a week to adjust to the new time.

On to the fun stuff I am learning. I can not say the companies name, lets call them LMNOP. A long standing customer whose parts are notorious for being difficult, complicated, unusual requirements, or all of the above. The strangest thing, the normal part tolerances are ignored. Because they need every part to be very close to identical. Ex, on the Blueprint it says +/-.010, but where ever you start at needs to stay +/-.0002 of an inch. (a sheet of copy paper is .0035 for reference)

LMNOP also like materials that we work with less often, like Tungsten and Titanium. I spent a full 10 hours deburring Tungsten parts that had a microscopic burr on an inside feature. I literally used a microscope to see it to remove them successfully.

I am wanting to learn setup of the machines too, but with the high volume and low staff, I sense management is just trying to keep their heads above the sea of incoming parts. So I am observing as much as possible for the moment. A lot is learning the basic programming M and G codes, and the differences between our machines, with some which button to push to do various setup things like touching off tools to zero and the like.

So much to learn, so little time.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Fishing expedition: Sounds like LMNOP might be related to LMSC. If so, I'm surprised on the tolerance thing; I would have thought the blueprints were a contract and requirements over and above that would be called out on the plans.

Eh, what do I know about hardware anyway though? I worked for them (indirectly) in my days pushing software on the flight simulators.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

No, all I can say is ITAR contracts. (if you know what that is, you know I can say no more.) Something that brings another type of unpleasantness, but not so much for us on the floor. Just weirdness when you have to take down BPs because Canadians are visiting. (They are crafty those ones. lol)

We actually know quite a bit about hardware. Originally, my company worked exclusively in Aerospace. Until the great rescission back in 08' (I feel old just saying that) when the CEO decided to diversify our contracts so we were not reliant on one industry. So many fun parts there, we could probably manufacture a plane, minus the body, wings, and electronics.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
        I am also loathing that Evil Day Star floating in the sky, making things hot, having all sorts of attitude about me going to bed at 8:30PM. I am missing the cool and calm of the majestic moon. It took me most of a week to adjust to the new time.
        Cursèd Daystar! It buuuuuuuuuurrrrrnnnnnsssss!

I had similar adjustments to make when I shifted from second shift (2-10:30pm) to days (6am-6pm). When you're a night owl by nature, and suddenly have to be waking up around the time you're usually falling asleep, it's a big adjustment.

I managed to make it work by going to bed earlier each night and waking up earlier each morning in the week or so prior to the shift, so it wasn't such a huge adjustment in one day.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
          No, all I can say is ITAR contracts. (if you know what that is, you know I can say no more.)
          Ugh, we have training on that every year....
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post

I agree Jay IT BUUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNNNNSSSSSSS

I work nights now BUT in a former work life all I did was the 9-5 routine BUT I STILL prefer darkness, BUT daylight does NOT make me sparkle
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
            X