This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How a corporate rule might have saved a coworkers life

I have a coworker who I'm friendly with (we aren't necessarily friends as in hanging out after work or such but we get along well and talk about the Cubs, Bulls and Bears since we're both big sports fans and I once gave him a little advice in the romance department because he liked a friend as more than a friend and asked my advice. I told him to say something he did and they are now together)

Well the gist of this is we have a strict more than 3 days off you need a doctor's note.

Well Ben was out sick. He has been down for awhile and they made him go to the doctor because he was out a week beore coming back in. He hated doctors would never go otherwise.

He got to talking to the doctor about some of the issues he's been having and the doctors ran a battery of tests.

He has very early non Hodgkins lymphoma and a good prognosis. He never would have gone to the doctor if the company didn't insist he do so before coming back. He's in the 25 year old nothing will happen to me mode.

Thank God he has our very inexpensive albeit very good health insurance.

Wow, I am so glad for your friend that it was caught so soon. I wish him well in his battle.

Comment

Wow, he's very lucky he went to the doctor... I hope everything goes well for him.

Comment

I'm hoping for much healing his way.
        Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

I'm glad he got it diagnosed while it can still be treated!! I hope everything turns out well for him.

I actually had the exact same scenario happen to me while I was working for Gateway back in 2000. I felt icky for a week, had to go to the doc because I needed a note (I hate going) - turns out I had Thyroid cancer. I was 21 years old . . . cancer is definitley not something I had even thought about.

I'm glad they were so strict about missing work . . . it saved my life as well!

Phoenix
          "I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons" - Douglas Adams
          "If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off . . . " - unknown

Comment

Oh Wow! Talk about good timing!
            I hope he likes the doctors a little bit more now.. it could've ended up horrible if the company never forced him to go.
            Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

Working...
            X