Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THOSE RIDICULOUS LITTLE PRE-EMPLOYMENT TESTS!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THOSE RIDICULOUS LITTLE PRE-EMPLOYMENT TESTS!

I always love when you start a new job and they have some ridiculous new "TEST" they have you take that is going to give them some insight as to who you truly are and hopefully save them from some terrible hiring mistake, or worse, a thief! Basically, all these tests REALLY do is fill in for managers who are mediocre at best. If you are a manager of any reasonable common sense or worthwhile caliber, you do not need these ridiculous things. You can usually ask the right questions and decipher enough from a resume and application to know when someone is blowing smoke up your ass.

But companies spend millions on these things that are supposed to be some magic something. I have never found them to be anything more than a complete waste of my managerial time. And the one thing I have noticed above all, your most honest individuals, will fail miserably! These things are not designed for honesty. It is the scammer, and thus, the person we are ideally trying to keep out that can pass with flying colors. Why do you think that 80% of theft from companies is internal???? The bastards passed the "TEST"!

One major grocery chain I worked at utilized these wonderful things and had a policy that once we conducted an actual interview, we were bound to administer the test, even if we did not feel we were going to hire them. They feel that if they pass the test, maybe the manager should take a second look.

So I interviewed this 17 year-old girl for a courtesy clerk position. I don't go through the typical BS questions. People rehearse them. I read a resume' or application ahead of time and when an applicant comes in....we just chat. So I told her to just tell me about herself.

WHOA!!!! Should have stopped her at the door. She informed me that she had just come out of rehab and was only there because her parents were making her get a job. She owed them restitution since she stole from them to buy her crack and they had her arrested. She explained that she was trying to stay clean and could "probably " pass the drug test. She could only work every other weekend and her dad had to pick her up every shift so her work schedule and his would have to match.

Now this obviously sounds like she is purposely trying to throw the interview and I wish I could end it all here.....but....company rules.... ENTER THE TEST! I call in the results and there is such hysterical laughter on the other end of the phone. The operater just can't stop. When she finally starts to breathe, she gives me this girl's score: 4 out of 200 and proceedes to say it is the lowest she has ever seen. The girl admits to:
    Physically assaulting her co-worker, stealing cash from another job, using drugs on the job, drinking on the job, using cocaine that day, smoking pot within the last 2 days, helping others steal from her employer, and just about every form of drug and alcohol abuse you can think of both at work and home, plus every conceivable horrendous thing you can imagine.

Companies, I beg of you, quit making people take these stupid ass things. I knew long before she took the test she was a nut. Train your managers better and quit asking the stupid questions. I know that it almost makes me want to just fill one of them out by drawing a picture or something and see if it will give me a high enough score to get hired.

I do the samething as you. I read the application and or resume, and just chat with them, when they come in. I hate those stupid tests also. I had to take one, and since I never done what the test was asking about. I knew that I would not get the job. They asked if I ever did anything with a pully before, and I told them no. They still gave me those questions.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I'd like to hear how those tests are scored. I heard once they score you lower if you never admit to stealing from work since everyone takes a pencil or something small home at some point.
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Hmph. At one workplace, they had me take a psychometric test.
        I don't put much belief in those tests as the results differ according to your mood. So if you're nervous, it will say there that you're nervous and high strung.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

A couple online applications I filled out, they had one of those 80-something question "personality tests". I noticed that a few questions would be asked over and over with different wording, so you were almost guaranteed to contradict yourself. "Answer all questions accurately as fast as you can" (I swear that's what the instructions said). Yes, I can be fast, but I like to know exactly what I'm agreeing or disagreeing with.

I hate those things.
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-14-2007, 01:37 PM.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Unusual

I had a look at one of those recently. In my frame of mind i would surely fail...
            ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
            Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

I failed the one for my current job. I failed because I was honest about my plans to move on to other jobs so I didn't have loyalty. My boss got me through because he was friends with the DM and knew of my plans. Ironiclly I am still there 3 years later. You either are honest on those tests and fail or lie and you pass.
              I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

When are they going to realize that people will only give the responses they think the employer wants to hear?

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                  When are they going to realize that people will only give the responses they think the employer wants to hear?
                  Tenth of never, right after Microsoft makes a version of windows that is universally popular.

They want good little drones that will mouth whatever corporate says they should, which is what those things test. They're kissassometric, not psychometric.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I had to take one before I started my current job three years ago. Questions like "Taking office supplies home from work is OK, if it's just once in a while." I think they have a way of seeing if the test answers are skewed, like no one is completely honest and if the results make someone appear to be a "choir boy," then something is amiss.
                    Testing
                    "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

A friend was once part of an "interview day", and they asked the (very significant?) question "If you could be an animal, what would you be, and why?". Obviously the answer to this gives an in depth insight into your psyche... (NOT)

I would have said "A dolphin, because they laze around all day, they like to play, and they have very few predators" and would thus have lost the job...

He said he wanted to be " A human" but they refused that as an answer, regardless off his justifications. He realised he would not get the job, so soon after he walked out.

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder what they would have said to my answer (wolf)...
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I hate those damn things. Half the time you can't answer the question the way you really want to. You're damned if you answer it honestly, you're damned if you lie.

I actually managed to fail one when applying for a job at a jewelry store...I have no idea how.

I later found out through sources that they think there was a problem with the test sheets because it turned out NOBODY was passing the test! That manager really wanted to hire me, too.....

My BF insisted I failed because I'm "too honest" to be a sales person...

I guess it's a good thing I work for a cell phone agent store... (not saying that they are out to rip you off- they're not (well maybe some are). but in sales, especially cell phone sales, you have to play the sales game...I hate playing games)
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I worked over two holiday breaks during college at a candy/gift shop. When I was "formally" applying to come back for the 2nd time (aka only a formality), I had to take one of those tests - they had started using it in the past year. I failed.

Why? Because I honestly answered "Have you gotten angry with and yelled at someone in the past year?" Not "at work," not "at a customer," it was left completely open. I was fresh off of a year at one of the biggest party schools and have a sister that up until the past 3 years or so, we really clashed. Who *hasn't* gotten mad at someone in the past week, month, let alone year? Good god.

Luckily, since I had a stellar record there, the manager argued I should be allowed to retest, so then I was "acceptable" to be hired. Sheesh.

Comment

I failed one at a bank once. I actually asked them if they had the right test. 'Cause I always get good scores on all those "online personality" tests I told them I couldn't understand how or why I failed..... of course it was an early morning interview and I kept falling asleep during the test.....LOL. But other than not answering "the customer is always right" with a yes answer, I think I gave really good answers.... And of course we all know - the customer is almost NEVER right! And I was being very honest. I was just really shocked to have "failed" a personality test.....

I applied at a one of those "temp" placement agencies once too and had to take a Microsoft Word test or something like that - and found out after the test that if you use shortcuts - like right clicking to copy & paste or something - that it doesn't score correctly.... what the heck? So I can do something faster and more efficiently and I LOSE points for that??? It was a really dumb test.

I actually worked one place where we made up our own tests to test people's skills in Excel, Word, and typing. You had to go to a typing website online that would tell us your typing score. Then you had to do things like open Word, insert clipart, bold this line, etc. And in Excel stuff like - bold this, sum these numbers, change this data to this... etc. It was amazing how many people said they knew Word & Excel and couldn't even do those simple simple things. But our own made up test for the business was much better than any other that we could've bought or hired someone to create.
                              Last edited by air914; 05-15-2007, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X