This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this happened to anyone else?

When I leave a job I always give plenty of notice and even the reasons why I'm leaving. This seems to happen the majority of the time:

I had this job for 2 years, good rapport with management and even offered to write an instruction manual for my replacement. Gave 3 weeks notice and the reasons for leaving (better pay, better benefits, a company I had worked for in another state and loved the job) Boss asked me not to come back the next day and use my vacation days.

Left the next job when I moved out of state. Gave one month notice. In less then one week they decided to lay me off for "seasonal" reasons. First time anyone has ever been laid off in the 2 years I was there.

Once again I am moving out of state and I gave a 6 week notice. Owner's response: great you can train someone for about 2 weeks and leave so you can pack. Not only do I have beyond great rapport with this boss, he considers me a friend also.

Do companies do this so that they will not have to pay 2 people for the same job or because they assume I'll no longer give 100% because I'm leaving?

Quoth Syndrn View Post
    Do companies do this so that they will not have to pay 2 people for the same job or because they assume I'll no longer give 100% because I'm leaving?
    They need to remember that when you assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Comment

As far as I know, they do this both to avoid paying the hours, and also to avoid the possibility of someone on staff that doesn't care about burning bridges.

As far as I know, it's not legal to make someone take time off when they've given notice of intent to leave the job. If they make you not come in during the last two weeks, they have to pay you for those two weeks in addition to any unused sick leave that you've accrued. I actually had a job give me two week's pay because they didn't trust me after I told them I was quitting. Who was I to argue?

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

As far as I know, most companies will let you go in risk of you stealing everything not nailed down, becoming unmotivated and just 'going with the motions' till you leave, change your mind and just not show up anyway, ect, ect.

I think honestly it's about protecting their own asses as opposed to paying you... Not that you would try anything, they just assume you will.

I'm not sure the legality in most places about fireing and quitting without notice, but Jersey here is whats called an 'At will' work places. Pretty much leaves the whole work rights thing completely out. You can be fired for ANY reason whatsoever (escluding discriminatory reasons of course), and you can quit without giving any notice.
        "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
        ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

Illinois is like that too..... why is it that some places are so behind the times when it comes to workers' rights?
          GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Not me. When someone quits with notice I give them more work and keep on them to make sure they get it done before they leave.

I figure if they're leaving I'm getting the company's money's worth.

Comment

I had that happen once. Hechinger's pulled that crap when I left for college in '94. I was willing to give them the 2 weeks, but I got fired that night. My boss called me into her office, and when I told her, she said that "tonight is your last night." At that point, I no longer cared. I wasn't planning on coming back, so I didn't bother with most things of the job. What were they going to do, fire me?
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Depending on what you do, it's done to cover themselves. The riskiest time for any employer is that "notice period." While you and I are not the types to steal, oftentimes, when the loyalty towards the company is gone and the relationship is being severed, the less honest people will take advantage of the situation. This can be anything from stealing office supplies to stealing proprietary company secrets to merchandise and cash. Usually, it is not a risk that most businesses want to take, and they figure it is better to just make a clean break right then and there.

As was stated above, in an at will state, there is nothing illegal about this. And using vacation time before actual termination of employment is actually mildly beneficial to employees, because it extends their date and allows them to keep any health/retirement benefits those extra weeks, vs getting a lump sum payout and benefits ending immediately.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I have to say I was surprised when I turned in two week notice to a major company. The reason I was leaving - it was obvious to more than me that the boss did not like me.
                  I waited till the first work day of Jan to turn in notice - meaning I had a full year of vacation and sick days to claim. I was actually on Jury Duty and left a letter of resignation on her desk. I figured when I called to follow up she would be telling me I could pick up my belongings from the security guard on my way home. Nope she wanted me to fill the full two week obligaion (of course since I did a large portion of her job that made sense - she didn't have to work while I did)
                  Needless to say on the last day - she left early and the other girl had the day off. It was amazing how much she actually trusted me to do my job and do it right even though she didn't like me. I was going to have to work an extra hour to cover phones and I admit it - I brought a book with me to work - I knew the last three hours would just be answering the phones if they rang- I had wrapped up all projects / work that was given to me. (a specific phone line had to be answered until 5:30 pm m-f so one of us had to be their to get it)
                  Another manager on the floor came past and saw me - he was shocked. He couldn't believe that on my last day I was given no send off, had to work late. He told me he would take over the phones and take it up with my boss later. (he was higher up than her) I had been a good and loyal employee would get paid for the full day - but to go on home. I mentioned it wouldn't make her happy - he said "what can she do fire you? In two hours your already gone." I miss that manager.

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                    I'm not sure the legality in most places about fireing and quitting without notice, but Jersey here is whats called an 'At will' work places. Pretty much leaves the whole work rights thing completely out. You can be fired for ANY reason whatsoever (escluding discriminatory reasons of course), and you can quit without giving any notice.
                    I'm not sure just how much "at-will" means when it comes to firing people. I only bring it up because of something that happened at a job some years back. The first day of training, the HR person came in. She said, "This is an at-will state, meaning we can fire you at any time, without any cause. Of course, if we fire you without cause, you'll sue us... and you'll win. Therefore, we won't do that."

I still don't know if she was clueless, or if she was the most honest HR person I've ever met.
                    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Working...
                    X