This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job market..

It's been so long since I've seriously looked for a job. Yes, I've always been looking, but not this seriously.

I guess it's like going back into the dating game after a 6 year relationship...
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I'm afraid I've screwed myself out of getting another retail job because I'm so horridly overqualified.

My first [retail] job lasted 7 years, and in that time, received training for nearly every department. I have the skillset for retail management, but that's just not what i want to do for a living, and would likely prevent me from attending school fulltime to work on my BS...

Last week an interviewer asked me why I didn't want to be a manager in retail.
    My answer, "It isn't a career goal of mine." {Freekin duh! I was interviewing for a job at a biotech/pharmaceutical company!}
    Last edited by Cyanocobalamin; 05-21-2007, 05:38 AM. Reason: fixed spelling typo

Comment

there are hundreds of jobs where I live, the problem is they are all for construction, fastfood or hotel maids and news paper delivers. They are all fine jobs but you can literally colour code the ENTIRE jobs section in the paper, on the job bank into 4 colours!
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

If you're overqualified for the job you want to apply for, do some creative editing on your resume so that you underrepresent yourself.

I find being passed over due to being overqualified to be insulting. If I desired or had the ability to attain and hold a position for which I am not overqualified, then I would do so. In the meantime, I am applying for jobs that I want, or that fit with my needs, and I don't need some personnel person deciding that since I'm overqualified, I don't actually want the job I'm applying for.

I got that sort of commentary when I was hired here. I have been massively overqualified for a data entry position since I was in high school, but I like doing data entry. It suits my temperament extremely well. I have no difficulty sitting at a desk and typing for 8 hours straight. And now I've been at this company for over 12 years.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I get that "overqualified" crap all the time. I have two college degrees, but they are liberal arts degrees so yea...

I did take some business classes in college, so I've applied for tons of secretarial jobs, but they all want someone who has a secretarial certificate, not a degree. Sometimes, I think I would have been better off had I just got a certificate from a junior college (not that there is anything wrong with that). I really think that would have given more opportunities than my B.S. degrees do.

Comment

In my field almost no jobs are listed in the newspaper. You either have to go through Monster or HotJobs or a recruiter.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I always liked these two qoutes from "American Beauty"...

COUNTER GIRL : Would you like some Smiley Sauce?
              LESTER : No. No, actually... I'd like to fill out an application.
              COUNTER GIRL : There's not jobs for manager, it's just for counter.
              LESTER : Good. I'm looking for the least possible amount of responsibility.

Mr. Smiley's Manager: I don't think you'd fit in here.
              Lester Burnham: I have fast food experience.
              Mr. Smiley's Manager: Yeah, like twenty years ago!
              Lester Burnham: Well, I'm sure there have been amazing technological advances in the industry, but surely you must have some sort of training program. It seems unfair to presume I won't be able to learn.

Comment

I am currently working on a MS in library and information science. I have a BA in English and a minor in film. I've started applying outside of my district because I am sick of dealing with the public. We just had another patron trespassed on Sunday. They're out of control. I am worried about being overqualified for positions. You'd think companies would be elated to have well qualified prospective employees. I'm willing to take a large pay cut if it means I'll be happier, though.

Another reason I want to leave the district is the lack of full time positions. The full time version of my job opened up because a coworker quit, and 100 people applied for it. Over 50 people are being interviewed for the position. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Daphne: I can totally relate......one of my jobs is in a public library, and our system has that same issue with few full-time positions being available. Which is one reason I had to take on a second part-time job, because I haven't been able to find anything full-time with the library department.

Comment

The job market here sucks...and has sucked for some time. There simply aren't that many higher-paying jobs in my field. Part of the problem was that after one of the major accounting firms here failed (as part of the Enron mess) those people lost their jobs...and promptly gobbled up the remaining accounting jobs. Now what's left doesn't pay very well...yet the companies insist on lots of experience. Like alot of people I think that if I have the experience, they're going to damn well pay me for it. But no, they won't. Needless to say, some of those jobs are *still* not filled. Can't imagine why
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

heh I have a diploma as a Library and Information Technician... people keep asking me, if I have a college diploma, why am I working as a secretary for a temp agency? The money is INFINITELY better, and there simply aren't any JOBS as a library tech. Librarians (people with a Masters Degree in Library Science) are a dime a dozen, and they keep getting the Library tech jobs because nobody hires librarians anymore LOL
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

^
                        In the southwest, where I live, there are lots of positions open for people with library science backgrounds. These positions aren't traditional library jobs, though. There are lots in LA focused on research and archiving. I applied to 25 of them last week. I am hoping to get the hell away from the public.

Lots of library jobs open up here, but they are para-professional positions. Everyone with just a bachelor's applies. Many of them have no experience working in libraries, and they are weeded out in the first round. Real librarian positions are harder to fill because there really aren't that many people with the MS.

Comment

I just handed in my notice. I gave my boss two months, hopefully leaving at the begining at August. No new job yet, but I dont' have time to look yet and probably won't untill I leave, I am working overtime right now. I hopefully am getting back into school and would like a better paying job so I can work less or study at work. Maybe a call center as my aunts and cousins who work at them say there is some time between calls.
                          I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

Working...
                          X