X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day on the new job

I had my first day on my new job today.

It was strange. After a year and a half on the phones, I've come to accept that it's perfectly normal to have every moment of my time precisely scheduled, monitored, tracked and analyzed... plus all of it recorded for training purposes.

Now, I don't even clock in or out. Which led to certain moments when I felt like half a doofus:

Me: When are breaks and lunch?
    Boss: When would you like them to be?
    Me: ???
    Boss: Take them whenever you want to.

Other interesting things from today:

1. I don't even have a phone. I can get one if I want one... as my boss said, "You probably should. You never know when you might want to call and order lunch."

2. My former co-workers aren't allowed to talk to me about business. I only talk to supervisors and above.

3. Getting the job was actually an achievement... it turns out a lot of people applied for it. I honestly thought I got it because no one else wanted it.

The most important thing: I went to work in a good mood and didn't have that mood ruined within five minutes by some batshit crazy irate customer. In fact, I made it through the entire day without getting pissed off.

Well, maybe even more important: When I left work, I didn't think, "F**k, I've got to do this all again tomorrow. I need beer."
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

YAY im really happy you seem to like it there so far! Its strange isnt it, not being tracked and having to account for every second!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My job isnt that laid back, but it is very laid back none the less.

I dont have to clock in or out, but i do have to be there by 7:30 am.
      at the end of the day i write my time down on my time sheet.
      we have scheduled breaks. ofcourse.
      And most of the time, i just want the day to end so i can go home.
      However, I dont have that, f**k it attitude either. I rather like my job, and who i work with.

There was one guy though, that is there, that noone likes, and when i had to be his assisstant, I was burning vacation time as fast as i got it, to get away from him.

But everyone who worked with him, felt the same way. So im not alone.
      http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
      Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Congratulations!!!! Sounds like this will be a much better job for you, and you have enough experience in the trenches to really appreciate it.

----------------------------------
        A Cat shall lead them, but it will be a trip of sudden starts, stops, reversals and darting from side to side.

Comment

Thanks, everybody. My new boss said to me today, "T., I don't think I've ever seen anybody who looks quite so happy before."
          I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Congrats on the new job.

Sounds really wonderful. It is lovely to be trusted to take care of things on your own, like when you take lunch, etc. I've always found I work harder when I make my own schedule like that!
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Comment

Working...
            X