This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to be on TV...if I agree to this

Okay this is actually a little embarassing to admit, but today at work, the marketing manager asked me to come and have a chat to him, and he asked me if I wanted to be a part of their new advertising campaign.

I work for a very large company that builds pools and spas (I work in the spa division). We also import spas from overseas. It's a good job, it's challenging and I like it. (what a contrast to the days of when I was a dancer in a sleazy club? So proud of myself )

I was like "Umm...depends, what do I have to do?"

He said that they need a new 'model' for their brochures, and advertisements on TV to promote the spas that we make/sell/import.

I have to get into a bikini and get on TV and let them take photos (eg: sitting in the spas and smiling, cause it has to look like the best thing I ever sat in! lol)

Do you know how scary that concept is?
    People say that TV makes you look bigger!

I haven't said yes to it, I haven't said no either. I forgot to ask whether I would be paid any extra for doing it. I would take that into account.

What do you guys think? Should I do it, or do I risk embarassment?
    I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
    another time, this world would fade away
    To find true love, is like no other joy,
    our choice is here
    be happy for today

Go for it! Obviously they wouldn't have picked you if they didn't think you looked good enough for the part. Unless you really let yourself go since your days as a dancer, you should be perfectly fine.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I would say go for it. But that only up to yourself. Ask yourself this question.

Is this something you honestly want to do?

If I was you, I would think about the benefits of it. It would get your face out there, and who knows, you might get a gig on a show or movie
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Also: find out how much they want you to do, and what the pay or other benefits are.

If it's a one-afternoon thing once every five months, it's probably not worth worrying about pay-- treat it like a break from the usual routine. But if they're going to ask you to be the company mascot with new hours and so forth, make sure it's worth your time.

And just like your earlier dancing job, make sure that anyone who thinks that they get special priveledges just because you're wearing something sexy gets learns otherwise.

Comment

I second the motion on finding out if you will get extra pay or benefits for print and/or tv use of you in their advertisements.

You should also find out if they would also use you to make 'appearances' at vendor shows or special events. If yes, find out if you will get payed extra (as well as covered in all travel expenses) for these events.

Most importantly, get all of this in writing, especially how they will use your photo's/video in their advertisements/promotions and what rights you have to them.

Whatever you decide, we are behind you! (with a camera)

I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

I'd be careful. You should get paid extra for a major advertising campaign.... and I'd be a little concerned that they are coming to an employee and not going to a modeling agency.... they may be looking to do this for really cheap and could save a ton of money by basically paying you way too little. Good luck with it if it's something you decide to do - just make sure you are compensated accordingly!

Comment

Definitely find out about the pay. Also, find out who will own the photos and negatives. You don't want your image sold to a trashy magazine, because the photographer owned the copyright.

They would have to pay a professional model; they should pay you.

As mentioned above, are you're going to be expected to appear at shows (booth bunny), are you going to want to spend the day in a bikini talking to the leering masses? If you don't have to wear a bikini for the show, what will you be expected to do, and will you be paid your normal hourly or overtime pay, or will you be paid the fee a professional would get?

People who appear in commercials normally get residuals, i.e. paid each time the commercial is played on TV.

It is possible that your company is taking a bit of advantage of your attractiveness, and hoping to save some money by having you in the advertisements, instead of a professional model. Definitely do some research. Get paid what you should get paid.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Don't forget that if you do the commercial, you'll have JoeBob leering at you, "You're dat gurl what from the boob tube and dems dose big boobs! hurk hurk!"

Just my take on it.
                Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Can I hold the camera?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                    Can I hold the camera?

Rapscallion
                    Only if you manage to wrestle it away from me.

Comment

Definitely find out what the pay will be before you say yes or no.

And if any co-workers or customers who recognize you decide to dub you "Boobs McGee" or some such thing, you have my permission to smack them.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

With them having said that, Comi, get a bodyguard before you undress into that bikini...

I'd totally go for it though, sounds like a dream come true! There's obviously a reason they asked you
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wow, I never even thought about alot of the stuff you guys mention.
                          Thanks for the info, i've taken it all on board.

I will be going to find out more from the marketing manager today, and hopefully find out all about pay and conditions and stuff.

Will keep you posted!

Will be going to the gym tonight also! Haha.
                          our choice is here
                          be happy for today

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            And if any co-workers or customers who recognize you decide to dub you "Boobs McGee" or some such thing, you have my permission to smack them.
                            Hahaha

The funny thing is, I don't have much in the way of boobs. I'm small chested. I'm al ittle confused as to why they would wana stick me in a bikini anyway. Maybe they can just take the photos shoulders up, and I can hide my lack of boobies underwater. haha.
                            Before anyone tells me it doesnt matter having small boobs - I know, i'm just making fun of myself in a good-natured way.
                            our choice is here
                            be happy for today

Comment

Quoth COMINATCHA View Post
                              Before anyone tells me it doesnt matter having small boobs - I know, i'm just making fun of myself in a good-natured way.
                              Well it DOESN'T! It's all about the junk in the trunk, babe!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

*ducks tomatoes*
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X