X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm just so tired...

The week is finally over.

I am so overhwelmed at work, it's not funny.
    The warehouse is a writeoff.

Customer orders are piled up and have been for weeks. Nobody has been called, or if they have, no followups have been done to see if they still want the stuff that's been sitting here for a month or more.

Last night, I worked until 6 pm by myself, trying to get the last of the freight received and priced and out to the floor. The other girls all left at 5, because they had been there since 7 am, and it was their third day of pricing.
    (The truck came Tuesday.) Now I will probably get crap for having overtime.

For about the last 3 hours that I worked yesterday, I had a blinding headache that turned into a sick stomach as soon as I was in my door at home.
    I spent the rest of the night, curled up in the dark, trying to stay as still as I could so my head didn't hurt, in between bouts of nausea and vomiting.

I had two new girls, start this week, and one, I think, is going to be OK.
    She is a woman I have been acquainted with for years as a customer.
    She was shocked at how much stress I have in my job.
    She said, "I told my husband how much they expect you to do around here.
    It's ridiculous. That phone never stops ringing, and you just get one job started and somebody comes in bugging you about something else. I had no idea..."

The other woman, I am very worried about. I spent the last two days running around fixing her errors. She won't listen to instructions.

I told her, "Every item that comes in has a price ticket. You will have a ticket for everything you see. It's just a matter of matching up the tickets."

I came along and saw some weatherstrip in a cart with a store-made price ticket. I asked about them and she said, "Oh, I couldn't find the tickets, and we were supposed to get them, so I just made new ones."
    I said, "You can't just do that. If there is no ticket, that means you have put it on something else, or you've lost them, but we need to know which it is before you just go putting on new tickets."
    I finally got around to checking today, and she had put the tickets on the completely wrong item.
    The correct tickets for that item were sitting on the table, ready to be claimed as short. GRRR!!!

There were at least 3 other items priced with wrong tickets that I had to go looking for.
    She had extension cords that were sent wrong, so she just made tickets for them and didn't bother writing them on the overage sheet and sent them to the floor.
    I had 2 other extension cords we were supposed to get, but I was never able to find the tickets for them. I have no idea what she put them on.
    More work for Ree!!

She didn't have her own department this week, and she was just helping out the other girls, so I hope it was just a case of newbie confusion and lack of a proper workstation.
    One of my other senior girls gave her notice, and she was done this week, though.
    (She got a job closer to home and it's cheaper on gas.)
    I am now worried because this girl will have her own file next week, and I have Tuesday booked off so I can go to a foster parent training seminar. I won't be there. I am pretty nervous about it.

People at work keep saying, "You need to take it easy and calm down. You're going to get sick or have a stroke or heart attack."

I can't calm down. There is just too much to do and not enough time. I am only one person and everyone wants a piece of me.
    Sure, I could lock myself away in the staff meeting room, but the computer in there does not have internet access, and a large part of my job involves using the internet.

One of the guys said to me last night, "I don't know how you do it. If it's any consolation, we see what's happening back here, and we're not happy with it."

There is no reason why I have so many returns claims to process.
    There are 3 other people who have access to the Head Office claims website, and they could be doing half the work for me.

I am now up to 5 handwritten pages of claims that all have to be entered into the computer.

I am behind by 3 trucks now in entering my damage claims and shipping errors.

Because I am so far behind, it throws off the inventory, because all those items are still showing in stock, or if they are an overage, are not yet showing in stock.

As for the defects, at least a large majority have been temporarily removed from the available inventory, but there are still a lot of things that did not go through the computer.

We just get one truck done, and the new one arrives.

I was 5 weeks behind with the claims, but the girls in the office, impatient to get their part of the work finished, offered to help me today.
    I don't know how far they got.

I need a holiday.
    Last edited by Ree; 05-26-2007, 03:46 AM.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Aw... Poor Ree. -Hugs, and gives some lemonade.- Sounds like someone needs to take some vacation time.

Have any saved up? Is it even possible to do it? Cause when the job makes you PHYSICALLY ILL, it's time to step away for a while. Pretend the place doesn't exist, any and all problems will be someone elses for a full week.

That or start cracking some heads to get people in gear, if you're not the only one supposed to be doing any work (duh), then start DEMANDING that these people start doing their jobs, and giving you a hand...
    "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
    ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

Y'know, Ree, I think a couple sick days are in order. I don't think you'd be faking illness either. I've pulled overnight shifts while in school, double shifts to cover for coworkers who've fallen ill, I've gone weeks at a time without days off sometimes, and right now I'm putting in 45-50 hour weeks as a rule, on my feet nine hours plus on a tile floor. I only puked once from all that work, and I think it was a tuna salad wrap I'd had for lunch.

A couple days at home will hopefully give you a chance to relax and recharge, and a couple days of a warehouse without Ree might point out to your employer that it's not good for them to have you as busy as the one-legged man at the ass-kickin' contest.

I think it's something to think about, although I certainly understand the feeling that the shop would fall in on itself without me. I appreciate the overtime, don't get me wrong. I just wish I didn't have to appreciate so damn much of it.

P.S., you're welcome, and I hope you'll let us all know if you make that info work for you. I guess if you're gonna put in the elbow grease you're putting in now, it might as well be your name on the door. Good luck!
      "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

Thanks guys.

Management, unfortunately, has the idea that everyone is expendable.
        In their eyes, everyone can be replaced.

I am dying to give them that opportunity.
        (I've checked out some of the links to sites regarding small business loans/grants for women. It's a very daunting thing to take that step from job security with benefits to having my own business.)

I have about 5 days of holidays coming up at the end of June, where I will be going with the youth group I help advise, on a trip to Greensboro, North Carolina. (I am hoping to meet up with DGoddess if we can mange our schedules.)

I came across some pictures of what the place looked like when I walked into it last year.
        It took me from April to June to straighten out the mess, and when I got back from a 2 week holiday at the end of June, it looked just as bad as before, if not worse.
        It was July before I got it straightened out.

Right now, it looks about half that bad.
        Instead of having four shelves filled to capacity from ceiling to floor, I now have only about 3 shelves filled with a bit of overflow, but it's arranged neatly.

The difference being, in the pictures, that was all stuff I had to go through to write up. (Truck damages, shipping errors from January - April, returns at the front cash from the Grand Opening until June.) I was kept so busy with trying to reorganize the place as well as dealing with the weekly trucks that I just didn't have enough time to deal with it.
        There were 9 boxes of pricing paperwork that I had to sift through to get written up, and as they sat there, more were building up each week.
        If I took a picture today, all of that stuff would already be written up, but just not entered in the computer.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ree; 05-26-2007, 04:51 AM.

Comment

This was after I got back from my holiday.
          Attached Files

Comment

And more, since that was the limit for the post:
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow....I didn't think I'd EVER see a warehouse messier than the one in our store! Dayum!

There were at least 3 other items priced with wrong tickets that I had to go looking for.
              She had extension cords that were sent wrong, so she just made tickets for them and didn't bother writing them on the overage sheet and sent them to the floor.
              I had 2 other extension cords we were supposed to get, but I was never able to find the tickets for them. I have no idea what she put them on.
              More work for Ree!!
              I suppose making her go back and fix her own mistakes was going to be more trouble than it was worth?

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                I suppose making her go back and fix her own mistakes was going to be more trouble than it was worth?
                Actually, on the very first item, a lawn mower blade, I sent her to the floor, and she came back with a completely different item that wasn't even priced wrong, but she thought it was.
                She had a ticket for an 18", and she had a 22" blade. She came back with another size and said that the price of it must be wrong because it was cheaper than a smaller blade. Umm...first of all, that wasn't even one of the SKU's in question, and secondly, it scans correctly, and thirdly, it's all about supply and demand. It might be cheaper because it's the more popular and we sell more of them.

I sent her to fix the extension cord error, because I knew she had put the wrong tickets on something, but I ended up having to go and check it myself anyway.
                It really was a lot more trouble for me in the end because I had to hold her hand anyway, or make another trip back to take the wrong items back out to the floor.

She just couldn't seem to get the concept of each item having a unique SKU. or scanning the UPC, so instead of only having one error to fix, there were now two, because she was bringing back the wrong items and switching tickets.
                Last edited by Ree; 05-26-2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I'm an obsessive organizer, and those pictures made me die a little inside.

I can sympathize with you on your training woes. Inevitably, my boss always gave me a new girl to train during the busiest possible time. It was really good for training, if the newbie could keep up. It was really bad all around if the trainee was struggling. I just wouldn't have time to walk them through everything AND get it all done.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    I am dying to give them that opportunity.
                    (I've checked out some of the links to sites regarding small business loans/grants for women. It's a very daunting thing to take that step from job security with benefits to having my own business.)
                    Duanting or not you should do it. You've been around here for years and shown that you are very level headed, and I think you could. If I could do it, open my own business, I so would. Never having to work under anyone?

Sure there would be alot of work, and stress... But of a different kind. No bosses harping you because you made a mistake, or because you're not meeting unrealistic goals. No having to deal with dipshit Managers who YOU could so a better job than... No having to deal with Corperate cowtowing to customers...

I can think of no better job that being employed at a self owned business.
                    "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
                    ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                      I can think of no better job that being employed at a self owned business.
                      I can't either, but I can think of one ALMOST as good. Working at one where someone like Ree is calling the shots.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Thank you so much.
                        What a nice thing to say.

Thanks to everyone for the support.

I just spent a really nice weekend away, and now I have to prepare myself to head into work tomorrow.

I went with my brother and sister and their spouses to visit another of my brothers who lives about 5 hours away.

It was his 50th birthday, and we totally surprised him.
                        It was awesome.
                        He cried, I cried.
                        I'm just a big softy when it comes to stuff like that.
                        (My other brother almost cried.)

We left early Saturday morning and just got back tonight. I was completely away from everything, and it was really relaxing, and so much fun.
                        We had a lot of laughs on the road trip.

I wish I was still there.

Oh, well, I will go in and do what I can.

Comment

Glad you got a break. You really deserve one where you don't end up injured.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            Glad you got a break. You really deserve one where you don't end up injured.

Rapscallion

Wha?!?!?!
                            "smacked upside the head by the harsh of daylight" - Tori Amos "The Beauty of Speed"

a sucking chest wound is merely mother nature's way of telling you to slow down - Arm

Comment

Ree, I'm serious, if it wasn't such a hell of a commute, I'd LOOOOOVE to work for you. I'm one of those people who sees a big stack of CRAP to be done, and will patiently peck away at the pile until it's gone. And I've got a background in library and research work (have a library and information technician diploma from our local community college) so I am very skilled at DETAIL type work (i.e. numbers, paperwork, etc.).

Want to borrow me for a weekend? I'd apply, but I've gotten used to the 10-minute commute to work, and I don't think you guys could pay me enough for the gas I'd be forced to use.

on a more serious note, *HUG*
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X