Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Work-Related Mishap Story Ever!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Work-Related Mishap Story Ever!

or How the Office Carpet Got Set on Fire!

This is another one of those wonderful stories I have and is probably my all-time favorite. It's from when I had one of those mythical office jobs doing things I don't really care to remember much, and where I worked doesn't really matter anyway.

Bear in mind the parts of this tale I didn't directly witness were related to me by those involved. I am using the initials of the guilty to protect them. Sort of.

It's a slow work day in April of '06 and while I'm at my desk doing the part of this job that I'm not fond of doing but am paid enough not to mind (ah, those were the days). The cubicle space I was in was on the ground floor of the building and nearby was the emergency exit which lead to a side area where my coworkers would go smoke. Outside were three of them, J, M, and T, all having a smoke and coffee break. For the disposal of cigarettes there was a plastic 5-gallon bucket filled 1/3 of the way with sand and the other 2/3 with cigarette butts. It was set in the midst of dry straw.

J, M, and T were taking their break and chatting away. J tossed his still-glowing butt into the bucket and began to sip his coffee. The day is hot and the disposed butts are all dry, and they all begin to smolder. A moment later, a small flame licks about inside the bucket. M, a tall and slightly overweight middle-aged man points to the bucket and says "hey, fire" as if there is nothing to worry about. J looks down and says quite calmly "oh, crap" then proceeds to dump his coffee on it. He fails miserably to hit the target fire and it begins to grow. "Oh. Crap." he says again and goes inside to get some water.

And there are M and T, standing there like idiots, watching the whole thing happen. (this line will become important)

J has the steady nerve of a quail. He is very tall and lanky and so in panic mode his flailing might remind an onlooker of Woody the Cowboy from Toy Story. He's also not the clearest thinker when in said mode and so he gets a tiny cup of water from the breakroom scuttlebutt (technical term for the water dispenser) and runs back outside where the flames have grown to about waist high and flings this little cup of purified water at it.

It does nothing of course, so he responds with an "Oh, crap!" and races back inside for something bigger.

And there are M and T, standing there like idiots, watching the whole thing happen.

J runs to the supply room to get the rolling mop bucket and takes it into the bathroom to fill it up. It is at this point that I am busy answering a collect call from nature, so I am here to witness this part. He fills the bucket and decides he's going to CARRY it out to put out the flames. J is not a graceful man and so three steps into the tile hallway he slips and drops the mop bucket, spilling the entire contents in the hallway with a cry of "crap!"

I'm a little concerned as he races back into the restroom to refill the bucket, so I ask if everything is okay. "yeah." he replies hurriedly and so I shrug it off and head back to my desk. J must have remembered that the bucket had wheels on it and so he races by my cube pushing it on the floor. I lean back in my chair and watch him go out the door, catching a whiff of smoke as he passes through. I just have to check this out, so I walk through asking "do I smell a fire."

By the time I've got the sentence out, I've got my answer. The cig bucket is aflame and the fire has managed to melt through the side of the bucket and set alight the dry straw to burn. J lifts his bucket full of water and makes ready, frantically licking his lips and adjusting his range as he prepares to, by golly, put this fire out. He takes one practice throw, then two, then gives the water a pausive fling.

The water sloshes out and splashes impotently on the ground halfway between J and the fire a mere five feet away, to which J responds (say it with me now) "oh, crap!"

And there are M and T, standing there like idiots, watching the whole thing happen.

M is giggling at the whole situation and says "Hey, you know there is a garden hose right there!" and points to the hose. J shoots him an angry look and grabs the hose, squeezing the nozzle trigger. Nothing happens. There is no pressure to the hose. Juming into action and trying very hard not to laugh, I run to the spicket and turn the water on and J finally douses the straw and half-melted bucket with water. The flames die out and the bucket is a smoking wreck.

Back to work. J decides it is his duty to dispose of the bucket, and since the dumpster is on the other side of the building, he decides to walk through it instead of around, BRINGING THE BUCKET WITH HIM!

The phone rings, a call J has been awaiting all day, and so he sets the bucket down on the carpet just inside the door and we all go back to work and promptly forget.

Until about twenty minutes later a certain smell begins to pervade the room. M calls out "Hey, J, the bucket is on fire again." I peer around the corner as J stands straight up out of his cubicle, eyes wide, the phone still at his ear. Stare, stare, stare "lemme call you back" *click*. Sure enough, the bucket was glowing with flame again, and the already melted edges were warping once more. The carpet was also just then catching fire (where oh where are the smoke alarms?!). J runs to fill his mop bucket and I race over to the wall and grab the fire extinguisher. I begin to spray down the fire as joe races in with a full bucket and begins to pour water on.

So J and I have gotten the fire out, and the old cig bucket and the burnt carpet are soaked with water and fire foam when D, the big boss, comes through the door clipboard in hand. He does not see us because he is focused on the clipboard. "J, I need the statistics on..." he notices us "WHAT IN THE HELL DID YOU DO!" And so here are J and I bent over the stinking plastic lump that once was the ciggy bucket staring at D and D is staring back at us, clipboard in one hand and doorknob in the other, eyes wide and mouth agape.

And then M pipes up with an amused matter-of-fact "J set the carpet on fire."

It wasn't funny then, but I am occasionally requested to tell this one at gatherings of friends, even when there is no one new to hear it.
    O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

What the F**K, was M & T just standing there, and not trying to put it out? I would have said so much to them.
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Well, I'd like to think that if things got REALLY serious, they'd have done something. I mean, they knew the hose was right there, so they were probably just enjoying the show.

I doubt I'd be able to just stand there, I'd be killing myself laughing while crawling towards the hose.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Yes. What happened to the smoke alarm?

Amusing, for sure.

I hope that M and T got spoken to, though.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I doubt there was enough smoke to trip the alarm. It takes a bit so that burnt microwave popcorn doesn't set off the sprinklers.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"The Plagues of Egypt" is my favorite of your narratives (and all the cattle DIED!), followed by "Hey, I'm a Horse!", but this one is also good. I wish I knew what these fellow coworkers of your'n looked like so I could get a better mental picture of it as I read.

Comment

That has got to be one of the funniest things I've read on here. The image of some tall guy flailing about like Woody from Toy Story did me in. I'm laughing so so hard!!!

See Smoking doesn't just hurt YOU, it hurts everyone around YOU. Including the carpet...... - always wanted to use that smiley

Comment

This is one where to amreciate the seriousness of the situation, you have to be there.

Thankfully we weren't, so we get to laugh our collective asses off.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                X