X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn I'm good... sometimes...

Reader's Digest Condensed Version...

Had a guy call tonight about a balance on his account- he'd received a notice in the mail.
    I was the only person there right then, I had a line and all the phone lines on hold. Anyhoo~ he hung up and when he called back (fortunately I had help by then) he was REALLY MAD. He tried to tell me he had been on hold for 20 minutes which he hadn't. However, he had been on hold long enough that I didn't blame him for hanging up or being upset. I was prepared to deal with that.
    He had returned his movies to Blockbuster and we had only been given them back yesterday (we didn't know about them being over there) and it had been a month.

**Now, I expected him to pay some of the fee because I believe in personal responsibility but was willing to work with him because to err is human. I also had no way of knowing how long the movies had been there. His account showed no notes or previous issues. Also, I never go back on my word- remember that- it's important.
    Anyway, he was mad and he wasn't getting what I was saying about working with him because he was SO angry. That's when he started cussing...

Me: Jedi Master Mode- On. Uber calm and rational vibes...
    Me: "Sir, there is really no need to use that type of language while speaking to me."
    Him: "I'm really MAD! I returned the movies and now you're telling me that what I owe is more than what's on the &*^*%$ notice?!?!"
    I'd like to note that actually it was about $20.00 less than on the notice but he was too angry to do the math...
    Me: "You returned the movies to Blockbuster. We had no way of knowing that they were there- a Blockbuster employee returned them to us yesterday. This is not our fault but I do understand how the mistake was made. Now, I've stated that I can work with you but..."
    Him: "Why didn't anyone call me?! Why didn't they call you?!"
    Me: "I do not know why you did not receive a call from our credit agency. To the other- you would have to call Blockbuster and ask them. They have zero to do with us."
    Him: "But I returned the %$%^%&^ movies..." I cut him off...
    Me: "Sir, I understand that you are angry but I need you to calm down and stop using profanity. You and I can work this out but I simply will not discuss it further until you calm down."
    **silence**
    Him.... *I hear him take a deeeeep breath*
    **long silence**
    I wait quietly and patiently.
    Him: "I'm really sorry for cussing at you." I could actually feel the entire change of his mood in his voice.

Me: "Okay, so you're ready?"
    Him: *sheepishly* "Yeah..."

We got it all worked out calmly/rationally. He apologized to me about 4-5 more times for cussing and being an all around jerk. He also thanked me about 4-5 times.

My SL had answered the phone the 2nd time he called and had warned me he was really angry and being a jerk. She was utterly amazed that I had not only calmed him but received apologies and thanks.

My thought is this- I kept my cool, helped him get his cool back, he felt like an ass and I think next time he gets ready to be an SC he'll remember me.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

I bow down before you.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

And I lay offerings at your feet, oh goddess of customer service!

Seriously- good job!
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Comment

Sometimes? Nay...always.
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
        X