X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I do at my new job

WARNING: DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE EATING OR SQUEAMISH

Okay, it's really not that bad.

I just finished my first week at the wastewater processing plant. Yes, I deal with raw sewage, rain run off and the like. Whatever you flush down your toilets and sinks come to me.

I clock in at 7:30 and log on to the computer for 10 minutes, logging alarms and getting meter readings. Then I take a leisurely stroll to take even more meter readings.

The first station is the worst. Thats where all the stuff that isn't sewage/wastewater gets sifted, sorted and dumped into a dumpster. Yesterday I found a dollar. I didn't fish it out. But one guy found over $100 in there a few months ago. Sometimes (I've been told), drugs and drug money have been found. Anyway.... After hosing that area down, it's time to climb up to the top of the tanks and take more readings. BTW, people flush almost anything down a toilet.

After I get the morning's data, I don my protective gloves and goggles for sample collecting. I also get to measure the dissolved oxygen in the aerators. That takes a special probe instrument that rocket scientists invented. Actually, I just push 3 buttons and I'm on my way.

After I get the samples, it's off to my favorite part: The nicely air conditioned laboratory. Yes, I get to be a lab tech. I run tests using all kinds of neat lab machines and chemicals. I take measurements. After all that, then I look into the microscope to see what kind of critters are living in my tanks. You would be amazed at all the animals that live in there, and what a colony of this means, and what that thing is there for, and what happens when you have these guys here.

Break time! (10:30 a.m.)

Then I collect all the data and fill out paperwork. Paperwork takes up most of the day. Then I dump about 15,000 gallons of reclaimed water, sending it out 10 miles to another station.

Lunch!

Take more readings from the computer. Do routine maintenance. Clean things. Find something to do. BS with the boss. BS with the secretary. Go chat with the guys at the water department. Take another dissolved oxygen measurement.

Break time! (3:00 p.m.)

Study, read, more meter readings. Make final plant walk through. Make things are closed and locked. Finish paperwork.

4:30 p.m. Time to go home!

I made it sound like I don't do much of anything, but I actually do work my butt off. And I'm really enjoying it. I'm learning something vital to every city. I'm treated like a person. The hours are good. The pay is good and will get much better when I get my operator's license. The benefits are awesome and paid for, 100%, by the city.

I do smell when I come home, but not like raw sewage. I smell like hydrogen sulfide gas and chlorine bleach (and some sweat thrown in, too!)

I've all ready been teased about working with sewage; that my job isn't important. I looked at that person and said "The city of New York said that about their garbage collectors. Remember when they went on strike?" The guy looked at me and said "Oh.. yeah, I remember. Trash all over the place." Then I asked him "What do you think that place would be like if all the wastewater employees went on strike instead?" He made the "ewww" face and said "Ahhh. You're right"

I'm proud to work for the city I live in. I have an important job. The people I work with are nice, down to earth and very cool. I won't retire a multi-millionaire, but in a few years I'll be very comfortable.

Questions? Go ahead and ask. But remember this: I've only just finished my first week. I can't answer all of them (but I can find out very easily).
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

All I can say is you sound like you're enjoying it. That's great. I bet you're glad to be out of Lowe's and say goodbye to retail.
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Go ask one of the senior guys there what the weirdest thing they've seen come out of the pipes and head for the dumpster is! This I've GOT to hear.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Your job is crap! (bad joke, but I like it) But it's honesty and awesome crap! Honestly it sounds like a great job, and one of those things that people never think about unless it is pointed out to them. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I do have a question though: Why measure the oxygen content?
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

That sounds great!
          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

It sounds like a fascinating job. What kind of critters live in the tanks?
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

How much of the money has been grabbed, and how can it be sanitized?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

JustADude: I'll get back to you one that one.

Broomjockey: Why measure the oxygen content?

As you know, oxygen is vital to life. We need the right amount, within a certain window, for all the little critters in the tanks. We can't have too much; they'll die. Then we have to reroute to another tank and start the process all over again. Too little, again they die. We want balance.

Cinema guy: What kind of critters live in the tanks?

There are good kinds and bad kinds of micro organisms that live in the tanks. Click here to see pretty pictures of them. I've yet to see the bad kind, except for filamentous bacteria. But you'll find that in all wastewater. Too much = bad.

Becky: How much money has been grabbed...:

I don't have a total, but as I've said, some guy found over $100 one morning. I'm sure there's been more found. We are near a pretty bad neighborhood. Druggies flush money, drugs and paraphernalia down the toilets. We get what they flush.
                As for getting the money (has to be worth it), you just fish it out with a rake or hoe or whatever tool you have available. Put it on the ground and hose it off. Let it dry, put it in a bag or whatever then throw it in a sink with bleach. Put it through the washing machine if you want, but the bleach wash will kill any bugs left on it. Just remember that the money is NOT in raw sewage. It is dry, somewhat cleaner than it came in, and carried over a chemical conveyor belt.

Like I said, I found a dollar the other day. Not worth it to fish it out. $50? Maybe. Depends on how bad the dumpster is. Over $100? You betcha. I have goggles, gloves, boots, lots of soap and water. I'll rake out $100.
                Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

So where does the stuff in the dumpster go? Does it just go to a landfill or does it get treated somehow or what?
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                    There are good kinds and bad kinds of micro organisms that live in the tanks. Click here to see pretty pictures of them.
                    No alligators then?
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Congratulations on the job.

Besides everything else, you have one advantage over the rest of us. While we say, "Same shit, different day," you can say, "Same day, different shit."
                      I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Working...
                      X