This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Call Them 'The Mouthwash Boys (and Girls)'

Unfortunately, it's the alcoholic beverage of choice for some in my province.

They always buy the store brand listerine type stuff cuz it's cheaper. They were freaking out when we were shorted on it for almost a week, and had to pay twice the price for real listerine. After we got the store brand back in, they were buying it 3 and 4 bottles at a time!

You can usually smell them 2 or 3 customers back, because the mouthwash smell hangs around them like a foul miasma, and sometimes, if you're really lucky, you even get the Bonus Aromas! Bonus Aromas include, but are not limited to: greasy hair; long-unwashed clothing; stale/rank/acrid body odour; urine; fecal matter; vomit; stale cigarettes; death-breath.

On to the epic tales...

Give this guy a prize!

Scummy guy comes through with a bottle. T, the on-duty security guard, is watching him from a few feet away. I process the transaction and ask for his club card.

Guy: Is this S______? Am I in S______?

Me: Well, the clues on my apron and nametag lead me to believe it is.

Guy: I don't have a club card. ::Hands me his debit card. Of course it's declined - funds not available.:: I'll be right back.

*sure you will* I void it out and continue with customers.

A few minutes later he's back in line. When he's next in line, he asks the customer ahead of him if there's an ATM around anywhere. Customer says no. Guy walks past my till, T stops him, guy asks T if there's an ATM around, T busts him for shoplifting.

Later, T told me that the guy went back to the mouthwash and put one down his pants while T was watching him! In the 'holding room', the guy told T he should just let him go. This idiot has been banned at 2 other S_______s in town for stealing, and T was the one that caught him each time. The cops came and took the thief away.

T says most of the security guards don't want to be bothered with the paperwork, so they do let the shoplifters go - they just take back the product and tell them to get out of the store. No wonder we have problems with stealing!

Excuse me, I'm gonna vom!

I've only had this guy come through once, but it was more than enough! He had 3 bottles of the stuff, and told me a rambling, incoherent story about how he has a partial plate and can't brush his teeth, so he needs all this mouthwash.

I felt like telling him to skip the lies and just STFU and pay cuz his breath was making me gag. He reeked of mouthwash like it was oozing out of his pores and he'd washed his clothes in it. I was coughing and choking and my eyes were watering. I had to turn away and take very shallow breaths. The customer behind him was standing waaay back! The area around my till reeked for at least 15 minutes after he left, too.

To pay, he pulled everything out of his pockets, including 3 nasty crumpled up cigarette butts that were down to the filter. Of course his money was all small change, too, and looked like it had all been picked out of the gutter. Time to sanitize!!! But he did have enough money for all 3 bottles.

Intoxicated and scaring my customer.

I'm ringing through a customer with a big order and he's talking to her the whole time, but he's so wasted that it's mostly incoherent babbling. He's also swaying back and forth a fair bit. We're trying to get her order done as fast as possible - she's almost throwing the groceries on and I'm scanning, weighing and bagging like superwoman. (In a way it was kinda funny). I debated whether to call security, but he wasn't causing a scene or anything, he was just... wasted and rambling.

It's finally his turn - one bottle of mouthwash. (We can refuse to sell to intoxicated customers, and I was thinking about it and also wondering if I'd get in trouble if he decided to play the race card and scream 'discrimination'.) Luckily, I didn't have to make that decision - he didn't have enough money. He asked if I could loan him a dollar (like you'd ever repay it, buddy), but I told him I didn't have any cash on me. And that was true - I don't carry cash on me while I'm working.

My name is _____. My name is______.

Comes in at least twice a week to buy the stuff, sometimes one bottle, sometimes 2, sometimes also store brand canned catfood to go with it. Can you say Gourmet Dining? I knew you could!

When asked for his club card, he gives his phone #, always followed by: My name is _____. Do we care what your name is?? No we don't!!! He always pays in change, never bills, and it's always disgustingly sticky and nasty. I drench my hands in sanitizer afterwards.

My Dentist said so

She came in to buy 3 bottles of mouthwash, even getting a food clerk to help her because she couldn't find it! She told him that her dentist told her she has to drink it. Uh huh... we truly do believe that one!

Snack time

Guy comes up to pay for his bottle, dumps out a dirty plastic baggie of change on the belt. I start picking out enough money, and in with the money was one very dirty sunflower seed kernel, minus the shell. He picked it up and ate it!!!!! I almost gagged. Later, when I told B, he said that with all the mouthwash in the guy's system, the dirt probably wouldn't matter anyway. True, but it was still gross!

Other tasy combos...

Regular (every Saturday and Sunday morning) with 2 bottles of mouthwash and 2 cans of catfood. This seems to be the new trend.

Woman with 2 bottles of mouthwash and one package of dry spaghetti.

Guy with one bottle of mouthwash and one bottle of coke.

Guy with 2 bottles of mouthwash and one pathetically tiny plum.
    It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

He reeked of mouthwash like it was oozing out of his pores
    If he's drinking the stuff it probably is!

And, yeah, right your dentist told you to drink it! It says right on the bottle that if you swallow "more than is used for rinsing" to call poison control or get medical help right away.

I can't imagine drinking listerine. The few times I accidentally swallowed a bit I regretted it!

So do they have a preferred flavor? Do they like the mint or that citrus swill that's supposedly "less intense" (bull*)? What about the cat food? Does listerine go better with chicken or fish?
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-04-2007, 10:27 PM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I really didn't understand that post. I don't think I want to.

If people are actually drinking mouthwash these days, I will hang myself.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I use the Crest Pro-Health stuff. It's not burny like the other stuff.

And I always thought that was something you were not supposed to drink. I guess the hardcore alcoholics need their fix and will get it somehow.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I thought the hardcore ones drank Nyquil....

I like the pre-brush whitening rinse. It doesn't sting at all.

My toothpaste has the breathstrips in it. It's pretty powerful and it stings!
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            So do they have a preferred flavor? Do they like the mint or that citrus swill that's supposedly "less intense" (bull*)? What about the cat food? Does listerine go better with chicken or fish?
            They only buy the strong gold-coloured stuff. B told me he asked one of them why, and the guy told him it's the best to get drunk from, the coloured and flavoured stuff makes them sick. I'd have thought any of it would make you sick, but I guess if you drink enough, you get used to it?!
            It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Comment

Ewww, the gold stuff is nasty! I used to hate using it. If I have to gargle with battery acid, I'd at least like some mint or citrus flavor to delay the agony.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If buying mouthwash just to drink it is so prevalent, why isn't anything being done about it...such as setting a limit like they have for whatever they use to make meth?
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You should make sure that the mouthwash that they are buying actually contains alcohol. A lot of companies stopped putting alcohol in their mouthwash because it is not good for your gums and it kinda of burns after a while. That would be funny if they were buying mouthwash and drinking it and their is no alcohol in it.

The lady that the dentist told her to drink it. My dentist told me not to use any mouthwash that had alcohol in it because it was harsh on your gums.

Comment

Quoth Zinjadu View Post
                    My name is _____. My name is______.
                    My name is- *huh?* My name is *wha?* My name is *chickachicka* Stink Nasty!
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Oh this reminds me of what was popular when I was a kid.

The kids would drink robatussin, or "tussin" (cheaper, generic) to get high.

Once, at a party to please my boyfriend I drank a bottle. I spent the rest of the night puking and was not happy.

Comment

All I can say is EWWW!!

For the record, Listerine has a purple one out now that is actually very pleasant and not so burny.
                        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Keep an eye out for kids buying too much essence. Stuff like vanilla essence and mint essence is used in baking, and is sometimes based on alcohol.

I bake a reasonable amount for a home baker, and use no more than a bottle of the flavours I use per year. Usually less.
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                            Once, at a party to please my boyfriend I drank a bottle. I spent the rest of the night puking and was not happy.
                            I hope you learned your lesson...and broke up with him.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You know, I can't even imagine doing this.

When I was a young kid (about 10, I guess) my cousin and I used some mouthwash to dye water we were using for a tea party. We didn't even use a lot, just enough to tint the water a little. We weren't even doing it for the alchohol, becuase frankly, we didn't really even know about that. We just figured it was colored, and you could put it in your mouth, so it must be safe to swallow just a little, right?

Well, wrong. I remember the stomach aches and nausea that soon followed. And seriously, we really only ingested a very small amount.

I cannot IMAGINE being able to even keep down a larger amount.

Comment

Working...
                              X