Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why did you tell me this on my first day?!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did you tell me this on my first day?!?

I started my new job today. I think I'll keep it for a while.

As I was filling out my new-hire paperwork, the manager and I were talking about the steps for me to become assistant manager there. First I'll be a shift leader, then AM. I'm all for that. 2 raises.

The issue is this: there is another girl who is already working there (she's on her second stint) who is under the impression that she is next in line to be SL/AM. The problem is, according to the manager, is that she doesn't go above and beyond the obvious. And is using her pregnancy as an excuse to do as little as possible.

I sincerely hope this doesn't cause problems down the road.
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
    The issue is this: there is another girl who is already working there (she's on her second stint) who is under the impression that she is next in line to be SL/AM. The problem is, according to the manager, is that she doesn't go above and beyond the obvious. And is using her pregnancy as an excuse to do as little as possible.
    The manager knows. That's usually reassuring.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
    I sincerely hope this doesn't cause problems down the road.
    If the girl wants to be SL/AM so bad, she should show initiative and hustle. If she doesn't, that's her issue.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If the pregnancy is *really* inhibiting her job performance, she shouldn't be concerned about becoming an SL/AM until after she comes back from maternity leave......
      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

You use pregnancy to get ice cream and steak sauce out of people not get undeserving promotion. Stupid bitch will ruin it for the rest of us.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I'd be more concerned about a manager who bad-mouths his staff to the new hires. His assessment of other store employees isn't something that needs to be shared with brand-new people.

If you're being hired into a position where this other person is working under you, then that's a different story.
          Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

It does seem kind of weird that a manager would be bashing another employee on your first day. It would throw up warning signs to me... and I would definitely be a bit more cautious around him/her regarding what you say, etc.

Comment

take it with a grain of salt and note what the Manager is looking for - you were clearly told that going above and beyond are important. Now you have a leg up on the promotion if you follow through with that information.

Comment

The manager wasn't slamming the other girl. She just said it matter-of-factly. OG has been talked to about what's expected of her to be promoted and won't do any of it.

And, BTW, I was hired with the understanding that I would become AM.

I fronted and faced all day. Picked up miniscule pieces of garbage off the floor. Tried to find ways to be productive.

Comment

Just pretend it's the last day of inventory at Criticare.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

slight update

OG has an accomplice. The AM that now is*.

AMTNI had me and another girl start dusting the shelves and product. A little later I heard AM telling OG that "I don't want you out on the floor at all."

Ummm... There is no reason why OG couldn't help with the dusting. There are plenty of shelves she could have done with no bending and/or stretching. Needless to say, I'm not amused.

*Bosslady wants to have 2 AMs. AMTNI wants there to be 2 AMs. I'd be 2nd shift AM. All would be well with the world.
                    Last edited by Bella_Vixen; 07-13-2007, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X