This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy car repair techs

This is something that I run into fairly often, and it's pretty annoying.

I work in a Northern state installing car electronics. In the snow belt, remote start systems are very popular. It's hard for people in southern states to see the value, but if you're used to scraping ice off your window twice a day, it's easier to see the point.

A remote start really isn't a very complex device in terms of how it works. Installation can be complex and time-consuming, and there are various challenges with getting around newer vehicles' anti-theft systems, but the basic theory isn't hard to understand. It just does the same thing your key switch does: sends voltage to the right wires at the right times, but using relays instead of a mechanical switch.

For some reason, to local auto repair techs, they may as well be black magic. Dealership techs are the worst, but they all do it. If a vehicle comes in with some electrical problem, and there's a remote start installed, step one is to blame the remote start. Of course, I can't blame a customer for believing their car dealer instead of me, but if the service techs would take the time to learn how a remote start works, and do some honest troubleshooting instead of looking for ways to blame the after-market equipment, both I and their customers would be spared a lot of grief.

The latest is a very nice lady who's stopped by my shop twice in the past week. Her issue is that when she's driving, her air conditioning and her power windows will stop working. Sometimes they'll come back when she slaps the side of her steering column. However, if she stops and activates the remote start system, the AC and windows will immediately start to work again. They'll continue working until the remote start system is shut off. (A remote start can't stay active while the vehicle is being driven).

Every mechanic that she's dealt with has explained that since her remote start is working perfectly, it must be the source of the problem. Really, that's their logic.

To me it's blindingly obvious that she has a problem with her key switch. When her key switch is on, it's supposed to be sending power to her vehicle's accessory power wire, but it's not. When she activates the remote start, it sends power to that wire and everything works. The remote starter doesn't replace the key switch; it's just a separate system connected to the same wires. If the same wire gets power from the remote start, but doesn't get power from the key switch, then which one is likely to be broken?

I've explained all this to her and I know she believes me, but she really doesn't understand it and there's no way she's going to convince a mechanic; they're conditioned not to listen to customer theories. I've told her that her mechanic is welcome to call me and talk to me about the problem, but I haven't gotten any calls. The two times she's been by, I've been busy and couldn't pull her car in right away, but I've offered to set an appointment and check over our wiring. I just don't think it will do her any good; we can't replace her key switch, which is what she needs.

She's been stuck with this problem for over a week, and any mechanic who knows how to use a multimeter can identify the problem if they'll just take the under-dash panel off and do five minutes of testing. But the service techs are unwilling to touch the wiring as long as they can say that the remote start is the problem. What's probably going to happen is that I'll have to disconnect the remote start entirely. Then she'll have to wait until a mechanic reluctantly admits that since the problem continues without the remote start connected, then it's possible that just maybe it's not the cause. And when they're done, I'll have to wire everything up again. And she'll be paying the service techs for every 15 minutes they work on her car, while I'll be doing their troubleshooting at no charge.

What's odd to me is that he car isn't under any warranty. It's not like fixing her vehicle is going to cost them anything. It's a paid repair, just like all the other business they're supposed to want. I've concluded that they're just scared of the remote start system, don't understand how it works, and don't want to touch anything that might be related to it. And yet the "real" mechanics sneer at auto-sound installers. Go figure.
    Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Quoth KaeZoo View Post
    And yet the "real" mechanics sneer at auto-sound installers. Go figure.
    The lesser members of the species do often sneer and disdain that which they find mysterious and intimidating, if they can't outright try to destroy it. Just goes to show... well... I dunno what it shows, but it shows it pretty well.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Ugh. That sucks.

I had a similar problem when I still had the Tercel. For those who don't know, this was a "base model" car that I'd done some things to. Nothing major, just a tape deck and a passenger-side mirror. (Base model cars didn't come with either item.) Several months after purchase, the interior (dome) light didn't work. I replaced the bulb, checked the fuse, and switch, all to no avail I'm no stranger to auto electric problems, since I also have an MGB GT (you haven't lived until you've messed with Lucas stuff ) but this one had me puzzled.

Took it to the dealer, and they insisted that the tape deck I'd installed was causing the problem. Never mind that it was on a completely different circuit, and the light itself had been working fine for months--they kept insisting it was the problem, and wanted to charge $40 just to check the fuses!

Anyone want to guess what it was? Turns out that when the *dealer* installed the radio antenna, they disturbed the ground strap for the dome light. The wire runs up the A-pillar next to the dash and across the roof to the light. Anyway, the nut holding the ground in place came off...and that's why it didn't work. Fixing it was a bitch though--the lower dash had to come out, along with the kick panel...both of which then wouldn't go back in!
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        The lesser members of the species do often sneer and disdain that which they find mysterious and intimidating, if they can't outright try to destroy it. Just goes to show... well... I dunno what it shows, but it shows it pretty well.
        I pictured the opening to 2001: A Space Odyssey, except a bunch of steroetypical mechanics, covered in oil, with the blue shirts. growling and sneering at a little mechanical device that occasionally beeps.
        It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
        ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth Aldous View Post
          I pictured the opening to 2001: A Space Odyssey, except a bunch of steroetypical mechanics, covered in oil, with the blue shirts. growling and sneering at a little mechanical device that occasionally beeps.
          Do we have the machine that goes Piiiiiing?

(cookies to the person that knows what that's from)

Comment

It's the Meaning Of Life. That was my favorite skit in that one.
            "What's that?"
            "That is the machine that goes Piiing"
            "Oooohhh"
            It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
            ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth Aldous View Post
              You have just described, in UNCANNY detail, the place I now work. Right down
              to the blue shirts covered in oil. The only thing missing in your description is the
              large, blunt objects that they use to bash the little mechanical (electronic) device
              that occasionally beeps.

Comment

Quoth Aldous View Post
                It's the Meaning Of Life. That was my favorite skit in that one.
                "What's that?"
                "That is the machine that goes Piiing"
                "Oooohhh"
                Don't worry 'bout a thing.. you're too unqualified to give birth!

Comment

This is slightly OT but...

I'm investing in a manual tranny, and I was wondering if you guys have ever installed remote starts on those? I only ask because of people who leave the car in 1st gear when they park, and the safety measures on newer manuals. On the car I'm getting you can't turn the car on without the clutch depressed, so would that make a remote start useless in a newer manual? Also, wouldn't it send the car jumping forward to start the car with it in 1st?

I'm a neutral stopper X) I think remote starts may actually be illegal here for manuals.

/OT

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                    On the car I'm getting you can't turn the car on without the clutch depressed, so would that make a remote start useless in a newer manual? Also, wouldn't it send the car jumping forward to start the car with it in 1st?
                    Every manual car I've had made you put the clutch in before you could start it....which would mean that the remote starter would be worthless.

Since I live on a hill, I always put the car into 1st when I park it. The only way it could jump forward, is if the handbrake wasn't set. It might "kangaroo" a bit before it stalls if the clutch isn't let out right though. When I bought the car, I couldn't see the point in fitting a remote start, mainly because I keep the car inside during winter. Also, it's actually bad letting a car idle in the winter--the engine tends to warm up faster if you drive it.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      Also, it's actually bad letting a car idle in the winter--the engine tends to warm up faster if you drive it.
                      Car may warm up faster, but you try climbing into a -30 vehicle for a 20 minute trip Canadians without garages (and some with) will probably tell you that any extra wear on the vehicle is worth it to not be a peoplecicle by the end of your trip
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        Every manual car I've had made you put the clutch in before you could start it....which would mean that the remote starter would be worthless..
                        Odd; the only UK car I've seen which requires the clutch to be in to start is a new Aston. I've made good use of the lack of such a system on a number of occasions - if the car won't start, it's possible to move it off the road by sticking it in first gear and cranking the engine.

The OP's problem is something I'm sure many IT techs are familiar with. Any unexplainable problem is immediately blamed on your Windows installation. Grrr.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                          This is slightly OT but...

I'm investing in a manual tranny, and I was wondering if you guys have ever installed remote starts on those? I only ask because of people who leave the car in 1st gear when they park, and the safety measures on newer manuals. On the car I'm getting you can't turn the car on without the clutch depressed, so would that make a remote start useless in a newer manual? Also, wouldn't it send the car jumping forward to start the car with it in 1st?

I'm a neutral stopper X) I think remote starts may actually be illegal here for manuals.

/OT
                          There are remote starts designed specifically for manual transmissions. The way it works, the system has to be put into "reservation" mode, which is done while you park the vehicle and the engine is still running. You activate reservation mode, turn off the key, set your parking brake, get out and close the door; then the system shuts off the engine. The unit monitors the door switch and will end reservation mode if anyone opens a door before you remote start the vehicle. If the vehicle's not in reservation mode, then it can't be remote started.

This means that the vehicle can't be in gear when it's shut off, so it's safe to start it again remotely. Yes, most manual transmission vehicles need to have the clutch depressed to start, but that's just a function of the clutch switch, and it can be bypassed for remote start.

The tough part is finding a dealer who stocks manual transmission remote start systems and is willing to install them. National chain stores won't touch them.

It's possible to install an automatic transmission remote start in a manual transmission vehicle, but it's not possible to make it completely safe.
                          Lack of freedom can be measured directly by lack of stupid. --Penn Jillette

Comment

Omg that's cool. Yeah I was asking today at Circuit City (where I slave away) and they said they arent allowed to install them in manuals.

Comment

Since I live on a hill, I always put the car into 1st when I park it.
                              If you read your manual, you might find that putting the car in gear while parked is not recommended anymore. Most say that you should put the vehicle in neutral, turn the wheel to the right if facing downhill, to the left if facing uphill and always set the parking break.

This is also the recommendation of the manufacturer of my auto-start system.
                              This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Working...
                              X