This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattended Pumps and Gas Spills

At your station, when the customer locks the nozzle on (either by flipping the tab, or if the tab was removed, wedging something in there) and then leaves the pump alone to go take a shit or something, and they wind up spilling a hundred gallons of gas all over the ground because the automatic shutoff didn't work....

Who's fault is it? I know in some places its actually state law that you stay with the pump, but nonetheless its still a defect on our part if the auto-shutoff doesn't work...

Customer pays for the gas from their own stupididty, station cleans up the spill and checks the nozzle. Sometimes people don't put the nozzle in right allowing it to stop properly.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I would say the customer is responsible for paying. They walked away and left it unattended, which they really shouldn't do. Although, IMO, the employee should shut the pump off if they can when someone walks away from the vehicle and leaves it unattended.

I never understand people who walk away while fueling. It may be boring, but I'd rather stand at the pump, watch my tank fill, and be aware. This way, it doesn't overflow/spill, no one can "borrow" the pump to fill their car, and I can decide if I don't want a full tank and stop before the auto-shutoff most pumps have. Even when it's freezing out, I suck it up, bounce up and down if I have to, and stay next to the pump. Why is that so hard?
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Most of the time I do not lock the nozzle on. When I do, I stay by my car.

Knowing my luck, if I were to leave the pump unattended the gas would keep pouring out onto the ground and get ignited somehow. Fire very bad.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I always stay by the vehicle.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Since I always stay by the vehicle, I sometimes do lock the pump. However, that's because I'm cleaning the windshield or headlights.

Locally though, quite a few stations have either disabled or removed the locking mechanism...too many idiots leaving pumps unattended, I guess.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
              I would say the customer is responsible for paying. They walked away and left it unattended, which they really shouldn't do.
              Yeppers.

Quoth myswtghst View Post
              Although, IMO, the employee should shut the pump off if they can when someone walks away from the vehicle and leaves it unattended.
              Hmmmmmmmmmm...I never thought of doing that when I worked at the gas station, but then I don't think I had many people walking away while gassing up.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My solution? I live in New Jersey
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  My solution? I live in New Jersey
                  Yeah, I remember living there. I usually had to WAIT several minutes for someone to get to me, even when the station was empty (of customers).
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                    Yeah, I remember living there. I usually had to WAIT several minutes for someone to get to me, even when the station was empty (of customers).
                    I don't usually have a problem with that. One station near me, though, they seem to like making you move up - after you already turned off the engine. So you start the car again, move about 2 inches, and they say "OK"
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm *almost* ashamed to admit this, but I didn't even know you COULD lock the nozzle on.... I always pump the gas myself and hold the handle through the entire filling. (and I don't try to squeeze "just a little more" into the tank when the auto-stop pops)
                      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

One day when I was filling my car up, a guy was standing by his car totally oblivious to the fact that gas was overflowing out of his tank. He had the tab flipped out on it and the gas just did not shut off. I was standing there, both horrified and fascinated, wondering if this guy would notice that gas was trickling out of his tank. Finally, I took pity on him and pointed this out. He sheepishly shut off the pump, cleaned up the side of his car and told the guy on staff that he spilled some gas.

The guy on staff and I are on good terms, so we spent my time filling up cracking jokes about the guy while he ferried water back and forth to dilute the gas and get it going down the storm drain.
                        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                          I'm *almost* ashamed to admit this, but I didn't even know you COULD lock the nozzle on.... I always pump the gas myself and hold the handle through the entire filling.
                          I know how to do it in theory, but it never works for me. Oh, well. As long as I'm in NJ, I don't have to worry about it.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

With the pumps in California, most of them have a little latch on the end that will clip onto the trigger and hold it while the gas is pumping. Then, when the tank is full and the automatic shutoff kicks in, the shock will usually cause the clip to unclip, but since no gas is pumping any longer, it usually doesn't matter. You can also easily disengage the clip by squeezing the trigger, since the clip itself has a spring in it.

I don't really them, though, because it's more trouble to clip it than it is to just hold the handle while pumping.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

When I was in Arizona or some place (I don't recall exactly) that did have full serve, I pulled in with my motorcycle and the guy gave me the pump to do it myself while he watched me. I wish I could remember where that was. :/

In any case, I'm all for self-serve. This is because I was driving through Oregon and the only gas station in town did not have anyone there to turn on the pumps overnight even though the pumps were made with the individual card readers. Complete crap. I spent 3 hours waiting, though I sort of needed a nap anyways. I could have driven the 3 hours to the hotel that was my destination instead.
                              Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Working...
                              X