This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning

I was sitting on the floor at the membership desk taking inventory of what we had. My coworker commented to me that we had a line, so I popped up real quick to help the next person.

In the process of popping up, I scared about 3 customers. None of them had seen me back there, and I popped up so suddenly, I guess I frightened them. I started laughing then helped out the line.
    "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

It's always fun to scare people in that way.

Unless they scare easily. Then it can suck.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I seem to be good at accidentally doing that sort of thing. Probably from years of Boy Scouts in a troop where most of our games involved being sneaky in the woods/dark/both. I once walked up behind a supervisor who did a quick 180 and bounced off my chest. He said it was rather like having the back wall sneak up on him.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I've been "found" before. I'd be stocking the freezer, grabbing cups, whatever, and my manager walks where ever I am, and jumps. She never knows when I'm gone since I'm only gone for about 5 seconds. It's pretty funny to see.
        It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
        ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

I'm like 6'5" and have the build of a Defensive Lineman, yet I apparently I'm able to pull a ghost-walk with the best of them. Just moving normally, I'll regularly enter a room to do or get something and, unless someone's looking directly at me when I walk in, they'll get their Jeebies Heebed when I speak to them or otherwise bring myself to their attention through noise-making or walking directly in front of them. I have, literally, made someone scream and fall out of his chair before because I had to cross a room with the door plainly in his line of sight, and he didn't notice me come in until I was right next to him asking him what he wanted for dinner.

I can never seem to do it when I actually TRY, though.
          Last edited by JustADude; 08-16-2007, 09:02 AM.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I get that constantly... hmmm... 6'4"... I'm not stick thin by any means of the word... I constantly would manage to get all the way from the front of the store to the back office, drop off some random trinket I had with me in the office, and be on my way out the front door before any of my coworkers would even so much as greet me at Chesterfield. Worked a charm, however, whenever I was having problems with Old SM. I could follow almost precisely on his heels, and I was bigger than him, so whenever he did his sudden turn around move to check out the front of the store, I'd be standing right there to scare the jeebies out of him.
            Hell, I used to wear a freaking bell on my collar to warn people I was coming. Which helped about as much as the jingle bells on my shoes, apparently, only it was more irritating than helpful. Whereas I was quite used to placing my feet carefully, and thus, not making the jingle bells ring, I had no control over my neck muscles, and even slight twitches set the reindeer bell tinkling.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I, too, am in the 6'5" range, but I have such a commanding presence that it's hard for me to NOT be noticed. We're talking about when I come into a room, everyone looks at me and the room goes quiet.

But then I have my ninja skills. I can be very sneaky when I want to be.

One time at the paint desk, I "popped up" suddenly and scared a customer. Did it a few times. So what I did was, when I was done kneeling under the counter to inventory the tints, or putting something away, I would slowly come up by pretending I was walking up a flight of stairs. Sometimes they would be circular stairs; sometimes an escalator. And sometimes, the escalator would stop and I'd be "stuck."
              Oh, I did have some fun at the paint desk!
              Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Working...
              X