This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I discovered a new life form!

Again, as you know.. plant was messed up. I made it better. 'Nuff said. However, part of my job is to look at the organisms under the microscope to see how well they are doing. Sunday saw an 80-95% death rate for my bugs. It was better the next day, even better the next, and on Wednesday, things were almost back to normal.

Except for this little critter:

I have no clue what it is. I could be a rotifer. I have never seen one like that though. I asked everyone at the plant that I could. My director and supervisor haven't seen a bug like that.
    The lab manager has no clue what it could be. Even the guy from FDEP couldn't tell me what that was.
    I even asked Ralph, who has been on the job for 25+ years, and he couldn't say.

So I Google it. Nothing. I scour the web, looking at scientific type websites. Educational institution websites. Nothing.
    Next, I'll make a better drawing of it, and email it out to some places I know of, and see if they can tell me anything.
    Meanwhile, I am claiming the bug.
    I may have left my mark on the world!
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Retardicus Buggia. Nice.

Comment

What about

Fecalis Devourus?

hehehe
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I'm creeped out enough by seeing THAT drawing.

:shudders:
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh hai!

Im in ur sooage plant, eatin ur poopy

(the unidentified critter I mean)
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Dunno, I think it's actually kinda cute...I'm weird that way tho.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Uhh, not no, but HELL NO! If I saw anything looking like that I would freak the heck out! Of course, I freak the heck out at the sight of any bug, but that one would deserve the biggest freak out.
              Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                Dunno, I think it's actually kinda cute...I'm weird that way tho.
                YOu forgot to get clearance to read my mind.... Oh there it is, but there's no cover sheet on this TPS report, let me get you a copy of that memo. :P

Comment

Pincers on the butt?

Is it a baby earwig????? :P

All the way over on the right

Precisely how small was this thing????

Comment

Doesn't look like anything I've studied in any of my bio classes.

Ms. Pounce, I'm going to assume since he was looking at it with a microscope, it is too small to be an earwig.

Always fun to experiment and come up with something completely new.
                    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Ms. Pounce View Post
                      Pincers on the butt?

Is it a baby earwig????? :P
                      Definitely not an earwig. I was looking under a microscope, about 100x magnification. Those little leg-looking things are (hopefully) cilia, which are like tiny tiny hairs. And (again, hopefully) those pincers are it's "feet"
                      Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Well either its soemthing from space, the toxic waste has mixed with the radioactive sludge and chemical toxins to produce some super bug or its a bug from the past that survived all these years hidden deep and quiet until it has been unleashed upon the unsuspecting world to doom and destroy us all.....

Cool really neat.

Comment

Nah, it'll bite Knightmare and then he'll turn into a superhero.

"Unknown-bug-man, Unknown-bug-man,
                          Does whatever an unknown-bug can.
                          Swims in sewage, any size,
                          Catches thieves just like poop,
                          Look out!
                          Here comes the Unkown-bug-man!"
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                            Nah, it'll bite Knightmare and then he'll turn into a superhero.

"Unknown-bug-man, Unknown-bug-man,
                            Not with a scientific name like Retardicus buggia. He'll be "Retarded bug man"! Then he'll regret his hasty bug-naming,
                            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                            The Office

Comment

It kind of looks like a silverfish, nasty annoying little bugs that they are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

Comment

Working...
                              X