Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I am a great a sorcerer!" (Great day for the Jester!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I am a great a sorcerer!" (Great day for the Jester!)

Tonight at work started out as a typical Monday night in Key West...slow. I did some business, more than expected, but near the end of my shift, I noticed a guy, a very short guy (and by short I mean far shorter than me...we're talking 3'6" here, my friends) trying to check out our menu display at the front door. Unfortunately for him, said display was not designed for people of his stature. As he tried to look at it, though, something about his face struck me as awfully familiar. Could that be him? Then he came in the door and asked to see a menu, and that voice and British accent were just as familiar. Now I was certain...it WAS him! But for the life of me I could NOT remember his name!

My manager sat him, his wife, and his two kids in my section. The wife and kids went immediately to the bathroom, and I approached the table with a question in my mind. However, I was afraid that if I was wrong, my guest would think that I thought ALL small people looked the same (which I don't).

JESTER: "Pardon me, and I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way....but weren't you in Willow?"
    HIM: "Yes. Yes I was."
    JESTER: "This is driving me crazy, but I know your name, and for the life of me I can't remember it."
    HIM: "Warrick...."
    JESTER: "That's it! Warrick Dunn!"
    HIM: "Um, no. Warrick Davis, actually..."
    JESTER: "Oh, duh. Warrick Dunn is a football player. I don't know what I was thinking."
    JESTER'S BRAIN:

Yes, boys and girls, I waited on Warwick Davis (his first name is pronounced Warrick) and his family tonight. For those of you going "WHO?", think the lead character in Willow; the Leprechaun in the movies of the same name; Wicket the Ewok from Return of the Jedi; Marvin the Paranoid Android from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; Professor Filius Flitwick from the Harry Potter movies; etc., etc., etc. Basically the most famous and prolific small person actor of our generation.

Did I mention that Willow is one of my favorite movies of all time?

And yes, I called him the name of a running back for the NFL's Atlanta Falcons. And while Warrick Dunn is small by NFL standards, he is still a healthy, large, athletic, black football player. Warwick Davis is.....not. Needless to say I was VERY embarrassed.

But, being the consummate professional I am, I still gave Warwick and his family (lovely wife and kids) excellent service and answered some of their questions about Key West, this having been their first visit.

Now, my manager asked me if I was going to ask for his autograph. Duh, no.
    1. I am a professional, thank you very much.
    2. This is Key West. We don't fawn over celebrities. We let them enjoy their time down here. There was no "Mr. Davis" this or comping of that. He was Warwick, I was (Jester's first name). And he (and his family) were all very lovely in every way. (Trust me, I would have trashed him if he was an ass. Y'all know me!) I was so revved.

And since it came out that I was a magician, they asked me to do some magic for their kids. Well, DUH!

So I got to do magic for Willow himself.

And....I SMOKED them. Absolutely entertained the kids. Well, his son was a bit too young to get much of it, but his daughter was entranced, and he and his wife were flabbergasted. Hey, I AM pretty decent at this magic thing, after all. So, I did a few tricks for them, blew them away, and still kept an eye on my section. (It was a slow night, after all.) And of course, not being one to miss an opportunity, I DID mention that if I ever need a magician, I do travel. And produced my business card out of thin air from behind his wife's head. (Had been pulling playing cards out of his daughter's hair countless times up till then.)

So tonight was great. Am I stoked because I met a celebrity? No, that happens to me often, especially in this town. But...

Gas to get to work tonight: approximately $1.00.
    New work shirt because I had none clean: $9.67.
    Sales rung up tonight: $900+
    Doing magic for freakin' Willow: PRICELESS!

How cool is THAT?
    Last edited by Jester; 08-21-2007, 06:07 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Quoth Jester View Post
    How cool is THAT?
    Cool as a nitrogen icicle, Jester. DAMN, how did you luck out like that?

Wait, what am I saying? You're The Jester. HE'S the one that lucked out meeting you.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

*WHEW*

Bout TIME I heard something positive on this site!

Comment

Hate you so much right now. So very much. Much hatred. He plays Prof Flitwick in HP - one of my fave wizards in the book...

Congrats tho
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Yes, I saw that when I checked out his credits on imdb.com.

Amusingly, he was also in Labyrinth, the film in your signature....which was, of course, directed by my best friend's cousin.

Yes, I am thinking you are hating me so very much right now. And you know what? I am just fine with it.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Awesome story! It's great when celebs act that way too, like Joe average.

BTW - I think he was also in the stands in 'The Phantom Menace' (that "Star Wars" prequil actrocity) during the race.
            Last edited by draggar; 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

how fantastic . . .
              and Thank you for the education . . .all this time for some odd unknown reason I have thought that Alan Rickman was the voice of Marvin.
              I have to agree with the sentiment that the Warick is the lucky one. His family and he were able to enjoy an evening out, being respected and entertained. And not annoyed/ pestered to death.
              Way to go Jester!!!!

Comment

GREAT story! I love Willow (the movie and the actor!) too!

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                  BTW - I think he was also in the stands in 'The Phantom Menace' (that "Star Wars" prequil actrocity) during the race.
                  He was. Actually played four different roles in that movie, one uncredited. (I did some research.)

Quoth Emrld View Post
                  and Thank you for the education . . .all this time for some odd unknown reason I have thought that Alan Rickman was the voice of Marvin.
                  Alan Rickman WAS the voice. Warwick Davis was the body. Hope I didn't confuse anyone with that.

And it's good to know that other people remember the movie Willow. Seems most of my friends haven't the faintest idea what I am talking about, even the ones my age. (Naturally RW did, though.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

That is cool. Jester you are a lucky dog.

I like Willow 'cos it has Jean Marsh in it. She's actualy older than my parents, but I always thought she was pretty hot as Sara Kingdom in Doctor Who (even though that was before I was born).
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I KNEW that's where you were going as soon as you said british accent. But i too could not remember his name! How awesome!

Calling him Warrick Dunn is one of those things, as soon as the words exit your mouth...you know its wrong..i do that all the time!

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
                        Hate you so much right now. So very much. Much hatred. He plays Prof Flitwick in HP - one of my fave wizards in the book...

Congrats tho
                        *Cough* And I think you see him for a split second in the Pod race scene....

Comment

Jean Marsh...

Also a maid in "Upstairs Downstairs" ?

Never mind. When you check IMDb, it appears she has been in everything that required a woman with a British accent since she was about 4 years old....
                          Last edited by Bagga; 08-22-2007, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            And it's good to know that other people remember the movie Willow. Seems most of my friends haven't the faintest idea what I am talking about, even the ones my age. (Naturally RW did, though.)
                            I LOVED Willow when it came out, but more for Joanne Whaley

Comment

AWESOME Jester! I'm quite jealous. That's one night to remember for a long time - and I hope you've created a long-time regular out of him, because I want to read the stories of how excited you are about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X