This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The voices in my head won't shut up!!

At work, each department has at least one, if not two people on a walkie-talkie. This way, we can limit the amount of overhead paging that is done.

So today, I'm rocking the walkie... and it has an ear piece so you can always hear what is going on.

I'd be talking with a customer, and all of a sudden people would start having a conversation over the walkie... I'd end up stuttering and stammering to the customer, losing my train of thought and all that fun stuff. A couple of times the customer would go, "lose your train of thought?" And I'd reply... "the voices in my head won't shut up" They'd look at me all odd,and I'd point to the ear piece and they'd laugh with me.

Next week, I'll pretty much be rocking the walkie every shift I work, should be fun. I kind of complained about it a little, and everyone was like, "you just have to get used to it... it takes a while though."
    When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

I always tell the voices in my head to shut up
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I felt like it... but instead, I just took the ear piece off when they decided to have extended conversations over the walkie.

Comment

Does your walkie have a mute, or channel switch capability? You could always mute it when you are talking, or just change the channel, as long as you remember to change back when you are done.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

We really shouldn't even be taken the ear piece out at all. It's set up so we can get a manager to the department without paging overhead, but it also gives customer service the ability to ask us questions about a product without leaving the customer service desk. So if a customer asks a questions there, we should be able to tell the customer we're with to excuse us, answer the question, and go back to helping the customer in front of us.

It's not something that's horrible, and I do understand that it'll take time to adjust to it.

Comment

If the voices in your head won't shut up, threaten to stab them with a Q-tip.
            Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
              If the voices in your head won't shut up, threaten to stab them with a Q-tip.
              Be my luck the voices would start arguing over whose fault it was to be threatened with a Q-Tip.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

It was funny... I was on walkie-talkie again. I'm huge into music...

Anyway, I hear over the walkie...

"Hey media...who sings a song about applying pressure and losing everything. And what album?"

So the guy from media goes, "I'll see what google gives me."

I go, "It's 'Apply Some Pressure' by Maximo Park on the album 'A Certain Kind of Trigger'"

Then I hear, "Excellent. Be prepared to answer more questions along those lines."

Comment

We had that at OfficeMax. Whenever I would ask for help on a question for the customer, I would get completely ignored.
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth Fashion Lad! View Post
                    Then I hear, "Excellent. Be prepared to answer more questions along those lines."
                    well, it's official. You're screwed. They are never gonna leave you alone now.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                      I always tell the voices in my head to shut up
                      Semi-off topic, but I had a regular at the c-store who had a t-shirt that read:

"Nine out of ten of the voices in my head say Don't Shoot........"

Clever enough, but on a 6'8" ex-Marine, a little disturbing too.

Comment

We used those headsets at AE when I worked there. Super amazingly useful... except when one particularly witty coworker would crack a joke over it, and immediately you can identify everyone who works there because they are cracking up. That was a little disruptive if we were with a customer, but most of them understood and didn't care.
                        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                        The Office

Comment

Working...
                        X