This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why, when I was a kid...

Thought I'd share this story since it really cracked me up when it happened:

I just started working in a shipping office. We have truckers in and out all day and, since school is starting soon, a lot of them have been bringing their kids with them for one last summer trip.

A couple of days ago one of these guys was waiting around because we were having trouble loading his truck. His son (I'm guessing around 7-8 years old) was wandering around our office kinda bored. I pretty much ignore him since he's not causing any trouble and his dad's keeping a fairly close eye on him. Suddenly I hear him making a small commotion:

Kid: Dad! Dad! what's this?!

Dad: Oh, that's a typewriter.

Kid: Wow! what's it do?

So we gave him a piece of paper from the recycle box and let him figure out what a typewriter does. He sits there typing for several minutes then exclaims:

Kid: Ohhhh. Dad! I goofed up. Now what?

Dad: Nothing. You goofed up. There ain't no delete key on those things.

Gosh. Has it really been that long since typewriters were used? I'm only 32 and I learned how to type on electric typewriters in high school and we had fairly new machines too, only about 3-4 years old. I feel old
    Last edited by flybye023; 08-25-2007, 05:31 AM. Reason: to add what I forgot
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

For the love of god, I'm only 19 and I at one point OWNED a typewriter, probably something like a decade ago. I still like to use them!

Comment

I had one too, but only becuase I thought they were cool. I could never type really fast on them though (I ended up putting my fingers between the keys) and never hit them hard enough.
      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

My father had a typewriter. I learned to use it to help me write creatively. Computers were those big things that big companies had, or sometimes smaller things with greenscreens that really rich people had.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I learned how to type on my mother's manual (non-electric) typewriter when I was like 12. During the summer months, my mother would have me read a few books and then type up book reports for her.

And I used new electric typewriters (with the correction tape in them) in high school & I graduated in 1990!

Comment

I still have a typewriter (an early 80's Brother electric similar to the IBM Selectric), just haven't used it in a couple of years or so. It's packed up out in the building until the office is remodeled, then I'll bring it back in along with the vintage stereos . . .

I graduated in '88 and remember clearly the Brother electric typewriters we used in typing class . They were awesome - but a bit too expensive for me to purchase one for myself at home.

Now, if anyone knows where to still find those correction strips (they came in a small flip top box and were small rectangular shaped white strips that you used with a typewriter instead of the liquid stuff) I'd be in great shape.

I'd have kept the first one I had (given to me by my Dad for Christmas in 1983), which was a Consul manual dating back to the late 50's, which was identical to this one:
            http://www.geocities.com/wbd641/Tilm...ulZP147502.jpg

But unfortunately, it was destroyed in the late 80's by a jealous stepbrother.
            Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 08-25-2007, 01:31 PM.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I used to have a typewriter. It rocked, except when I typed too fast and the letter arms got stuck together. Now THAT'S talent.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

There is something so satisfying about that clackety-clack noise a typewriter makes.

I kind of miss it.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I currently own a 1950s typewriter that belonged to my great-grandmother. It rocks! The thing is heavy though. I once used it to type up a paper for school.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

We had an old manual typewriter at home from probably the 1940's. Weighed a ton. We also inherited an old adding machine from one of my great-grandparents. My mom and dad wouldn't let us use a calculator so we'd use the adding machine on our math homework until our parents caught us and Mom hid it .
                    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Someone did a study and worked out how many fewer calories secretaries were using by going to computers instead of manual typewriters. It was quite an amount, though I cannot remember the figure.

Rapscallion

Comment

Y'all are OLD.

Nah, I had a typewriter at one point and I'm 20. Been using an actual computer since I was 10 for typing (Run the gamut from a 386 to a AMD X2 64...the times, they are a -changin'.)
                        Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth Acolyte View Post
                          Y'all are OLD.
                          Damn right, yeh young whippersnapper!

Quoth Acolyte View Post
                          Nah, I had a typewriter at one point and I'm 20. Been using an actual computer since I was 10 for typing (Run the gamut from a 386 to a AMD X2 64...the times, they are a -changin'.)
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System/370

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000

Somone in my family has played around on each of these. Oh, and manual typewriters, too.

Comment

If you guys think typewriters are something, let me tell you about... slide rules.

And yes, I had to use one. I was in the last class at my high school that was required to use slide rules in advanced science courses. Midway through that year, the powers that be decided calculators were more than just a fad and allowed their use. (My chemistry teacher, who was about 104, immediately went on sick leave for the rest of the year -- I don't know if it was related or just a co-incidence.)
                            I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

We have an old typewriter at my house. And we also have an electric one also. I have done reports on both of them. Well, until we got our last computer

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                              I used to have a typewriter. It rocked, except when I typed too fast and the letter arms got stuck together. Now THAT'S talent.
                              Whoa, we have the same talent.

Quoth Boozy View Post
                              There is something so satisfying about that clackety-clack noise a typewriter makes.

I kind of miss it.
                              Dammit, now I miss it.
                              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Working...
                              X