• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it really sucks....

Not always fun and games.

I'm currently handling calls from emergency crews for:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...8b82b8&k=45382

That... sucks. That really, really sucks. I just hope there are no fatalities or permanent maimings from that.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Oh dear.

Hang in there, and know you're doing a job that's really important right now. People need you. (And at least you're not selling pink camo to 867.)
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Oh dear.

Hang in there, and know you're doing a job that's really important right now. People need you. (And at least you're not selling pink camo to 867.)
        My only real task in all this is notifying the clean up crews so to speak. But I usually get the entire story across several calls/client lines as I'm basically a kog in the lines of communication between different agencies.

Suck side is its 2 fatalities, 11 injured now. =/

Comment

Poor GK. *hugs*
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

This is tough to deal with. At least you're able to help everyone communicate, something that's of vital importance in an emergency like this one. Good work Gravekeeper. Hang in there.

Comment

That's awful. Just awful. I'm amazed nobody in the campground died.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

OH my gosh! This really creeps me out due to the fact that DB and I were supposed to go with his grandma tomorrow on a hot air baloon ride. They canceled at the last minute due to the possible bad weather out here (we've had a TON of storms).

Massive hugs to ya GK, bad things like this I can't even imagine dealing with.
                Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                  My only real task in all this is notifying the clean up crews so to speak. But I usually get the entire story across several calls/client lines as I'm basically a kog in the lines of communication between different agencies.

Suck side is its 2 fatalities, 11 injured now. =/
                  That's still important and necessary work, GK. And ... well. Sorry to hear about the fatalities and serious injuries.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm sorry, GK. My husband does alarm monitoring and dispatch for a school district. His goal is to never have any of his officers ever get hurt or worse -- so far, he's succeeded. The officers prefer to have him on dispatch. He could get a job with a police department, but he and I both know the stress would kill him.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                      I'm sorry, GK. My husband does alarm monitoring and dispatch for a school district. His goal is to never have any of his officers ever get hurt or worse -- so far, he's succeeded. The officers prefer to have him on dispatch. He could get a job with a police department, but he and I both know the stress would kill him.
                      Yeah, I could do that kind of job since I have a ridiculous "calm" threshold, but I certainly wouldn't like it. Its bad enough we handle all the coroner's offices in the lower mainland here. Since whenever that line pops up it means someone's dead, and it pop ups a few times a night. =/

Comment

Yikes. I read that story this morning from my usual news portal and wondered if you had seen it. Obviously, you're closer to it than anyone wanted.

{{{hugs}}}
                        "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Hang in there GK!

Also saw this at the end of the article...
                          "Everything's gone," John said. "I got one lousy pair of jeans left. We just got back from our cruise -- and this is what we come back to."
                          Jerk. Total f-in jerk. People died, others were seriously injured, and a few people lost their homes. And all he can say is that.
                          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                          The Office

Comment

Working...
                          X