This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone work/ed for barnes & noble?

I put in an application a few days ago. I unfortunately have a pretty good chance of getting stuck in the cafe but I'm pretty desperate for work. I am hoping to find the best low wage job as far as perks. Can anyone tell me if they allow you to check out books like borders did? Any hints on the pay scale or general job satisfaction? I am cautiously excited....

*GRR if you would be willing mods please fix the % in the title. It was supposed to be a &

Thanks!
    Last edited by novicecrafter; 08-30-2007, 10:13 PM. Reason: GRR

Actually, B&N isn't all that bad. The Cafe can get rather busy, but for the most part it's a cool place to work if you've got The Touch with the steam-wand and you can handle a Pannini press. When I was working there (in the Cafe, yes), starting pay was $6.75/hr with a guaranteed $0.25 raise after your probationary period is up, as well as a guaranteed $0.25 cost-of-living raise every 6 months like clockwork. The upper limits of the pay-scale for regular workers was, last I heard, about $12/hr, which is pretty killer considering the job was an absolute cake-walk.

I'd still be there, and making that $12/hr by now, except the stupid ing GM decided to "let go" all the senior employees so she could save on labor by replacing them with rookies making several bucks an hour less.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

: off the main topic : Dude...you know what? Next time I'm actively looking for a job, thanks to you and your post, I'm going to apply at a B&N. Thanks!!!!
      Last edited by Becks; 09-01-2007, 03:12 PM.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        : off the main topic: Dude...you know what? Next time I'm actively looking for a job, thanks to you and your post, I'm going to apply at a B&N. Thanks!!!!
        It's a great place to work. Maybe it's just because I was younger and more energetic, but I had great co-workers and a great direct supervisor. Only problem EVER was the one incident with the GM being a Stupid Bitch.

Long story short, I'd have gone to a different store in the chain instead of grasping at straws and ending up at McDonalds when my IT job fell through, but I can't EVER go back because she filed a bullshit policy violation as the reason I was being terminated, which means I'm not eligible for Rehire. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have fought it and definitely won, but at this point it's just not worth it to me. If I want to get back into book-sales or coffee I'll hit Borders, Walden-Books, or Starbucks.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

yes, they let you check out hardcovers. one of the biggest things i miss about working in the store! that and seeing all the new books i want to borrow! (in my 2 years at Store2 I racked up 3 pages in the sign-out book; god only knows how many in 6 years at Store1!)

i've never worked cafe other than occasionally running register when they got busy while someone is on a break (i can't get you anything except a soda or a regular coffee but i can take your money ) but it can be fun. just don't let the line get to you

i love books, so it's a great place to work for me. i've had good managers and bad managers; sometimes they can create a bad atmosphere but the coworkers i've had for the most part have been great (and are still some of my best friends). if i get a job elsewhere i would totally go back to the store part time (i work for the distribution center right now).

good luck
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

How obsessive is B&N about upselling? When I worked for Waldenbooks, you weren't there to sell books as much as you were there to sell those goddamned Preferred Reader cards. If you missed your quota for three months straight, you got fired. I HATED that part of the job. I hate being hassled when I buy something, to buy something else I neither need nor want, nor did I care for the little pep talk I got from the manager every time I pointed out that people were there to buy books and not there to have extra crap shoved at them to buy buy buy.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I worked at B&N. Like any jobs, it has its ups and downs, but it was a good job. Gotta love that employee discount (30% off books, sweet!).

Tip? Always, always, ALWAYS know your bestsellers and new releases! They're the most popular, especially books shown on Oprah or the Today Show. You don't have to like 'em, but you do have to know 'em.

The "Employee Recommends" shelf is also fun. I loved reviewing and recommending my favorite books, and it's kind of a thrill when you see someone buy them.

Never worked in the cafe. I don't function well in a fast paced environment.

hauntedheadnc speaks the truth. I hated pushing the card, too, but it comes with the job. Sigh.
              "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Working...
              X