This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Above and Beyond the CoD

Above and Beyond the call of duty I went today.

Course, I do that a LOT. I scrub the counters sparkling, I spent half an hour sorting little size-tag thingies (the ones that clip onto coat hangers) once, then picking the things off with needlenose pliers off hangars to be sent back to the warehouse, of the sizes we were lacking in the boxes.

So today, I helped a black gentleman (his skin color is important, yes) get a stroller. He was a nice guy, luckily we had one in stock (I found out, to my dismay, we had a SERIOUS lack of updating the 'what we have in the stock room for baby furniture' book). I was upstairs when I found it (I like to visually check myself), and thus, hauled it down with me to take out to him.

So we do the transaction, I tell him about price adjustments and the like and the return policy, he goes away.

I then go to re-key in the computer and begin the next customer when...

Uh oh. His card is still sitting there. Ack!

So I look up frantically to the other customer "One moment please!" and take off after him. I can't find him!!!

So I am standing at the other CS, nobody's seen him so I look out the nearest door... he DID come this way of course... Ahah! I see him (thank goodness for the dark skin and bright yellow Tshirt. I admit I probably wouldnt' have seen him at that distance if he didnt stand out.). So I run out the doors to his car to hand it back.

He thanks me, we have a laugh and I turn to head back in, jogging lightly (As I had left the till, Which I /am/ allowed to do so long as I'm not gone long)

AS I go by, I hear a woman also leaving the store remark 'Now THAT is customer service!"

*beams*

Too bad my bosses didnt hear.

PS: I dont know if I was allowed to go outside the store like that. It was noon, middle of the day, and people everywhere. I dont think I was in real danger.

Also, wish me luck. My review comes up this next week, and while I know my boss will give me good marks (She's pushing to get me a raise I desperately need), I want to be on my super best behaviour.
    Last edited by Horsetuna; 09-01-2007, 01:54 AM.
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
    Also, wish me luck. My review comes up this next week, and while I know my boss will give me good marks (She's pushing to get me a raise I desperately need), I want to be on my super best behaviour.

People remember things like that, and come back to shop at stores where the employees are willing to go the extra step to help someone. Any manager worth their salt is going to value the positive word of mouth, from not ONE but TWO different customers over any technicalities you might have violated. Not only did you leave a very good impression in the gentleman's mind, but the lady who commented on it obviously thought you did a great job.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
      People remember things like that, and come back to shop at stores where the employees are willing to go the extra step to help someone. Any manager worth their salt is going to value the positive word of mouth, from not ONE but TWO different customers over any technicalities you might have violated. Not only did you leave a very good impression in the gentleman's mind, but the lady who commented on it obviously thought you did a great job.
      What Dude said.

One time I was in a similar situation. I ran after the woman and gave her the cc back. She thanked me (and tried to tip me), and then told one of the managers. I got a snazzy in-store free lunch coupon. There might be a written record of it somewhere, too.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I once ran outside after a girl who was too busy yappin' away on her cell phone to take her vanilla shake along with the bag of cheeseburgers.

Not really CCs, but hey, milkshakes are good
        Music: Last.fm
        Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

I've gone after customers many times with things they left behind in the store. They are usually really appreciative.

One of the first things I always taught my cashiers, though, was that customer service meant they checked to see that the customer had everything they purchased, and the transaction wasn't over until they made sure they handed back the credit/debit card and the change.

I figured it saved a few steps taking a few seconds to prevent it happening.

Sometimes it does get too busy, and stuff happens.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I would go after a customer if they forgot their card or something, but if I was the only cashier, I could only go as far as the door. If people forgot their member cards I would look up the account and call them (assuming they had given a phone number) and let them know to ask the cashier next time they came in.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh, and something I forgot to post the first time...

Stuff like this is why I NEVER set the card down on the counter. It always goes directly from my hand back into theirs even if they left it on the counter for me to grab when I was ready for it. Ounce of prevention and all that.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
              X