This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedule changes without warning?

This coming week I was originially scheduled for 3 days off in a row. Since that is a rare thing for me, I already went ahead and planned alittle vacation for those 3 days. Yesterday when I went in. I saw that they changed the schedule and put me on for one of those 3 days I planned to be gone. Should I tell them I already had plans made? Do they have to honor it? The new work week starts sundays and they changed it yesterday.

I'd at least let them know that you're upset about it.

My workplace policy is that the schedule must be posted two full weeks in advance, and any changes to shifts made thereafter must be approved by the employee in question.

Check to see if your employer has a written policy about schedules so you know where you stand.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I usually always photocopy the first schedule, so when they screw me like that (especially if I have off and they dont tell me of the changes) and call me yelling and wondering where I am when I was fully in belief that I had the day off, I can pull out the signed photocopy and say "Not my fault"

Comment

I hate that when they pull that bullshit. One time I was supposed to be in at work at 6 am. So I got my tired ass up and got ready for work. Upon arrival and after clocking on one of my co-workers said "Kitten, you know your supposed to be off today right?" I'm like "WTF?" I was scheduled to work...."They just changed it without letting anyone know?" My co-worker nodded. (they pulled this bullcrap on her once or twice before) So there is no way I am going to clock out and go home. I am going to pull this 8 hour shift. Manager steps in a while later and asks why am I here? I tell her the same thing that the shcedule was changed and I never got a call so I just came in. I mean I gave her my cell number she should have called me. Well cuz were union she had no choice but to let me stay the whole 8 hours. Then she said "I tried calling but their was this weird voice on your phone and I didn't think I had the right number." Bullshit. She NEVER did call and if she did I would have had the work number on my cell because I have the place stored in my phonebook. So that was bullcrap right there. What it boils down to is that they chose not to call and wait until I came in and started to work then tell me to go home because I was rescheduled off that day. That's just wrong thing to do.l
        Last edited by NightAngel; 09-02-2007, 12:15 AM.
        NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

if they already posted the schedule they shouldn't be changing it without making sure you haven't already planned your life around it.

besides, i would check my schedule and write it on my calendar, and i might not look at it again. if they changed it and didn't tell me i would be going by the original posted schedule. so even if the change wouldn't have been a problem for me, i might not have shown up one day because i didn't know there was a change...

if the changes only affect a few people, they should check with those people. if it's more of a total overhaul of the schedule, they should be posting that there was a change somewhere prominent so that people would know to look at the new schedule.

so the short answer is, yes, you should definitely bring it up with your manager because it's not fair to do that and if enough employees complain maybe they won't do it again (one can hope...) whether they have to honor it, well, in all fairness they should but i don't know...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Walmart would pull that crap with me also. I would always write down the days I worked. I should photo copied it, but I didn't.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I've had this happen a few times.......at Macy's, I was supposed to work a 10:45 -7:30 shift on Sunday, but when I came into work and tried to clock in, I found out that it had been changed to an 11:45-8:30 shift. Which wasn't a big deal, but I wasn't any too happy that nobody had called me to let me know of the change.
              At the library, this came up because my then-supervisor had had to make a lot of changes to the schedule in my work area, as a co-worker had taken on a second part-time job. Problem was, "Kate" didn't ask what my schedule at Macy's was before making these changes, and put me down for a few Saturdays when I wasn't available.

Comment

At our place they manager who used to do the schedule has left. They haven't gotten anyone to do the schedule on a regular basis, so the instead of two weeks in advance, the schedule is posted on Tuesday for a week starting on Friday.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Where I work it was not uncommon to see a schedule posted on Wednesday evening for a workweek starting Thursday. And I don't work Wednesdays.

Comment

My boss knows that I copy my schedule every week. If there's a reason to change it, he either tells me about it in person or calls.

Anyhoo, back to the OP...Tell your manager that you already made plans based on the original schedule. See what happens.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

That has happened to me on more than one occassion at my current job, they would switch my schedule around without even saying anything to me. If I was in your shoes I would tell them that you are going to be out of town and it's already planned...nothing you can do about it.

Comment

Well I talked to them and they changed it back. So now it's off to the beach

Comment

When I started at the truck stop restaurant, my very first DAY, they had changed the schedule without telling me.

I was told at orientation to come in the next day at 4. I did. The manager looked at ME like I was the stupid one, and showed me the schedule, where my name had been crossed off and put on to the next day at 4.

Idiots.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

this thread makes me even more glad of my current employer. i know my schedule up to six weeks in advance, and isn't changed with out my say so.

schedule is posted in the middle of the previous schedule, which runs for a month. i will know my schedule for at least the next month.
                            The mere fact that we have the flamethrower means that someone, somewhere once said "You know, I'd really like to set those customers over there on fire, but don't possess the means to do it"

Comment

C J, I couldn't do that.

I HATE overlapping schedules. Ugh.

Besides, my schedule doesn't change too often, and when it does, it isn't too bad.

It's a shame that the man of the household and his family can't grasp that.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X