X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son of a......!!!

Freaking thieves......

For the better part of six weeks we had been missing several software titles from teh shelves, including Adobe Photoshop Elements 5, Nero 7 Ultra Edition, and Norton SystemWorks. Just flat missing, all due to dirty rotten thieves (except for two of the copies of Photoshop Elements, which I believe we were hosed on by the warehouse). All I can really do is notate in the daily Pull Lists that the items can't be found, which I've been doing for weeks to no avail. Annoying in and of itself, but because they were still listed in the system as "in stock" we were never going to get more in, and quite a few people had been asking me for Photoshop Elements. I brought this to Al's (sales manager) attention several times to no avail (though to be fair, I think he was just forgetting to deal with it).

Finally I got fed up with this and laid out the whole situation to Alice (Ops manager) and said I wanted this dealt with, because we need the product in and I was tired of the whole situation. She promised to deal with it and did; all the missing titles were written off as shrink.

So in Saturday's load we finally got more copies of Photoshop Elements and Nero 7. Yesterday (Sunday) I hand picked Nero out of the load while searching for another item and put them (in security boxes) on the shelf.

Today - less than 24 hours after putting them out, both have bene stolen.

OH MY GOD I was uber-pissed. After weeks of trying to get this thing dealt with, we finally write off the stolen copies and get more in only to have the replacements disappear immediately. SON OF A !!!

Both Al and Alice were also super-pissed about it. Al is inclined to believe it was an inside job, and promised to not only fire whoever did it (if he can find out who did it) but beat them to a pulp (though I'm sure he was speaking figuratively).

I HATE THIEVES!!!!!
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
    I HATE THIEVES!!!!!
    Stuff like that makes me think we should bring back the old "red-hot scimitar to the wrist" form of punishment for theft... though with an addendum that it must first be proven that the person wasn't under duress due to coercion or a desperate living situation.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I HATE THIEVES. They mess everything up, for everyone.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

If you can do it: pull the discs from the boxes and file them in a secure location that is easily accessable when the software is paid for....
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
          If you can do it: pull the discs from the boxes and file them in a secure location that is easily accessable when the software is paid for....
          Rather like a movie rental place or a used CD shop, am I correct?
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
            Can't do that. at least, not that way. Once the seal is broken on teh box our policy states it's not returnable, so we can't exactly sell open box software to a customer.

What I might be abel to do that is arrange for an empty DIDSPALY box (possibly by photocopying the real box and putting the copies into an acylic security box) then putting the actual software into Lock-Up.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I think the display box would work really well. Of course you'd probably get some bozo picking up the display box and bringing it to your register to check out.

Plus, if the software is being stolen by an employee as an inside job, you'd at least know for sure that's what's happening.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Can you ask the mfg's to send you empty boxes just for this purpose? I'd think they would, having this issue being global...

Or the big clunky acrylic box with a fat padlock on it would work. One box per app in clunkbox, and the rest (backstock) in a locked gridroom in the back.

Purchase a title, scan the barcode cheat sheet at register and put clunkbox back on shelf (leave stuff inside) and then go to the gridroom in back and remove 1 of purchased.

Gridroom will need a lock that has a timer and passcodes on it also. Not a once-every-5 min but one that can timestamp who gets in when. Personal passcodes per employee.

And separate the till. Cashier logs in under self code, then goes to back to grab box, same code, you can see WHO takes what.

This shouldnt be too big of an investment, but compared to the thefts, I would think it would help.

cutenoob
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

It sounds like an inside job to me, too. Has anyone considered doing searches on eBay?
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Just scan the box art, print it out, and put it in a keeper box. Then, when someone wants it, pull it out of a secure and locked cabinet.

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                      It sounds like an inside job to me, too. Has anyone considered doing searches on eBay?
                      I was going to suggest that but I don't know if that would be very helpful. I was going to suggest searching, arranging the results so that items closest to you come up at the top of the list, then pull the contact information on any sellers of the software in your city or state.

However, ebay doesn't allow you to pull contact information such as name and address unless you are in a transaction with that user or recently were. So you'd have to know the thief's ebay name to nail them or bid on one of their items.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Do what they did in Alaadin times.........cut off a theif's hand.

That way, when you're walking down the street and every other teenager and bum you see is missing a hand, you'll know to be on the lookout for them at your shop.

That way, when you're on the dating scene, you'll know already if the person you're dating is a klepto.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          That way, when you're on the dating scene, you'll know already if the person you're dating is a klepto.
                          Either that or they engage in Extreme Nail Biting!

Or have had a career cut short in the military or a lumber yard, or ... well, maybe they were picking their nose and left something behind...

I could go on all day.

Rapscallion

Comment

Arresting them (thieves) sends out a strong message,

Having a police car parked outside the front and having a shoplifter bundled into the back of the van sends out a very strong signal...

Which is hoiw i cut stockloss in half in my old job
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                            X