This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resignation letter

I am wondering how to politely word my resignation letter. I don't hate my boss or anything, so I don't want it to sound to abrupt.

Basically all I have is that due to a new job, I can't work after the 14th...But that seems very short.

I would keep it plain and simple. HR doesn't want an essay.

Dear Boss,

As stated in my contract of employment, I am hereby offering you my x weeks'/ days notice of my intention to resign from my role as xxx, and advising you that I will not be avaialbe for work as of 14th September.

I would like to thank you for having me as part of your team at Big Employer and wish you every success in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Emmeileia X

Thats as much as you need to put, really. I am always of the opinion that you should try and put something pleasant in a resignation letter, unless you're leaving under really bad circumstances, because you never know who's going to read it, or where you might run into them again.

That said, in my first job, we used to go to the pub at lunchtime at practice writing our fatasty resignation letters. they'd start off very politely, "Dear Mr X, I am writing to tender my resignation from the position of..." and by the end of lunchtime, after a few pints, they'd have descended to "Dear X, shove your stupid job up your...."
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

Dear Boss,

This letter is to inform you of my resignation from my position [_________] with Company, effective September 14, 2007.

I've received an offer for a position that will move me forward in my career, one that I simply could not let pass. Please accept my thanks for all your help during the time I've worked with you. Company has been wonderful to work for, and I will miss you and my coworkers when I leave.

Sincerely,

Emmieleia
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

And don't forget to add this link to your resignation;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05h6KUDOfA
        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Dark Psion, that's the ringtone I have for everyone at work.
          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. This is the first job I have left where I had to do more than wirte "I'm out, B*tches' on the back of a napkin and leave it for the boss.

Comment

When I resigned from my current job I just put:

Dear Manager,

Please accept my resignation. As stated in my Contract I am giving you 4 weeks notice with the intention of my last day being the 21st September.

Thank you for the oppurtunities you have provided me with whilst working here

Yours sincerely

Katie
              No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Every job I have ever quit, I simply gave verbal notice.

The exception, of course, is when I resigned from the hotel (The Saga of Shit Weasel) and handed the hotel GM (and Shit Weasel's boss) my resignation letter, which politely said that Shit Weasel was the reason I was quitting.

Something in the tone of your post tells me you are not leaving your job under the same circumstances as I did in the above instance!! That being the case, a simple, concise, polite, well-written resignation letter should suffice.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                X