Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm of the "Gimme the task, gimme the deadline, now leave me the hell alone." variety. I like it if the boss is available for any questions I might have, but once I'm comfortable with the task, I hate it when someone has to stand over me and watch what I'm doing. If I feel that you don't trust me to do my job, I'm going to get anxious. And if you give me Super Important Task That Has to Be Done Today and then interrupt me every 30 seconds with inane shit, don't be surprised if I have a meltdown.

One of the reasons I quit Geek Squad was because I would be wrist-deep in computer guts, trying to get out a hard drive or something. Only to have to drop everything because some douche is physically incapable of calling an in-home service or finishing up his own paperwork.

I also hate environments where every tiny thing that goes wrong becomes a OMFGWTFBBQ-level emergency. (Like my current job. I'm so hoping I get that job at the local university! *knocks on wood*)
    A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
      Take me seriously if I say 'I can't get it done by then, what parts of the job do you want me to leave not done?'
      Quoth Tigress View Post
      And if you give me Super Important Task That Has to Be Done Today and then interrupt me every 30 seconds with inane shit, don't be surprised if I have a meltdown.
      Two very important points that I left out of my post. Thanks!

Seriously, though, if you have to micromanage everything I do, just do the bloody job yourself. Otherwise, you do your job, let me do mine, and we'll all be happy.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Me, I don't mind high-pressure situations, but to me high-pressure isn't the same as being "stressed out".

If I've got an assigned set of duties I can hammer out a full shift at lightning speed without really feeling stressed. Body goes on auto-pilot, brain into script-feed mode, and I pretty much blank on most of my shift since nothing is making it past the event filter. Conversely, I can also deal with an extremely slow situation easily. I jump around taking care of customers and maintaining the place to keep busy during the dead time, and if there's nothing left (it's happened a couple times) I just start in with the random philosophical musing.

Now, being expected to run around taking care of everything at once with only one other person in the store instead of the 4-5 that should be there, while at the same time maintaining that lighting speed, is NOT fun. I can do it, and damn well, but I become extremely terse and abrupt, and that harried feeling isn't exactly something I enjoy.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
        X