This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First week in IT and laptops...

Yep, technically today is my one week anniversary in my new position in IT. It's going great, if boring right now. Just yesterday I got my badge so now I can get into the office and our IT room plus I got access to our asset management website. Now I'm just waiting for the most important parts, blanket administrative rights and access to our remote software installation tool. *sigh* At least this job ias about 1% of the stress that my last job had.

We have this project, every laptop needs to be upgraded to a new laptop. I came onto the team in the last week for the project. We had about a dozen executives who hadn't upgraded their laptops yet. We need them to drop off their laptops for a few hours so we can transfer all of the data (well, what we can) into the new one, Outlook PST files, My Documents, install programs that they had installed, etc (this usually takes 4-6 hours, sometimes less).

You'd think people would be happy getting a brand new, up to date, laptop? If it was me, I would be first in line. Nope. These people must have them surgically attached to them. I sent out an email to the stragglers last week telling them it had to be completed by COB (close of business, meaning 5PM) on Wed and they needed to set up an appointment. Some people responded early Monday. Cool, 3 out of the way and these people are responsible. Monday comes and I send out another email to the people who hadn't had theirs done yet or made an appointment. All but two responded. OK, so we're almost done this.

The last two. One said he cannot go without his laptop. I tell him this is mandaded by corporate and it needs to be done by COB (5PM) on Wed and that we'll need 4-6 hours to transfer his data over to the new laptop. He asked if he could have an "extension" so he could drop off his laptop when he was out of the office on Friday. I said no, it needs to be done by Wed and we had already had an extension due to the headcount issue. He gives in and agrees to drop off his laptop at 2PM on Wed. Gee, thanx. Make it so you KNOW we cannot get it done before the deadline. He then goes to say how it is such an inconvenience to him and so on.

The last person hasn't responded to any of my emails (but I do have read receipts from him). I think today's nasty gram will have his supervisor carbon-copied on his email.
    Last edited by draggar; 09-11-2007, 11:17 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Well, congratulations on the beginnings of becoming a very fine BOFH. Just remember where you left your stockpile of rugs and lime when dealing with this idiot.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
      Well, congratulations on the beginnings of becoming a very fine BOFH. Just remember where you left your stockpile of rugs and lime when dealing with this idiot.
      Nah, nothing so harsh is needed (yet...). Just cut off his network access until it comes in to be fixed. Cite security issues or virus fears and almost no one will question you. I gar-UN-tee s/he will be in that day.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Actually, he was over an hour early (fine by me!) and was very nice with us. He did back up his information, deleted his cache and was very nice to us, he didn't even need 10,000 applications loaded like eveyone else.

I asked him if he needed anyhting installed and he said MS Office. Well, that's pre-loaded with the image we use. So I wanted to double check. He did have something else he needed.. Outlook.

I couldn't believe it, I had to check for myself and sure enough, that was it.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of IT!

(says he with far too much grey hair for his age).

Just remember - YOU have the power. You have the command of the computers.

Sometimes a simple evil smile at the right time can change a (l)user's attitude 180 degrees. I know.

B
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            I asked him if he needed anyhting installed and he said MS Office. Well, that's pre-loaded with the image we use. So I wanted to double check. He did have something else he needed.. Outlook.
            Um, this may just be me having a BDD (Brain-Disk-Drive) failure, but isn't Outlook part of the MS Office suite anyway?
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Isn't Outlook part of the MS Office suite anyway?
              It depends on the version of Microsoft Office you have. Some versions swap out Outlook for something else.
              The customer is NEVER right! Unless they're nice...

Comment

Um, this may just be me having a BDD (Brain-Disk-Drive) failure, but isn't Outlook part of the MS Office suite anyway?
                I'm pretty sure it is, whenever I bought Office, it came with Outlook (well, so does any copy of ActiveSync, too). Outlook Express comes with Windoes, I think, too.

But still, it was nice to see someone with minimal requirementsfor an install.

My copy of Office 97 came with outlook.
                Office XP came with outlook
                and the newest Office comes with Outlook.
                Last edited by draggar; 09-15-2007, 04:32 PM.
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Depends on the version, and how it was configured for deployment. Where I work each piece of Office is deployed separately via SMS. While Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. are all usually deployed as a group, there are some special circumstances where only a portion of the suite is deployed.
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Working...
                  X