This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She hates me, I just know it

Either that or she (my supervisor, also in charge of scheduling the front end) is of the belief that "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger."

This is my schedule for this week -

Thursday: 3:30PM - 9PM

Friday: 6AM - 3PM

Saturday: 3:30PM - 9PM

Sunday: 6AM - 3PM

Off Monday and then work another 3:30-9 on Tuesday, off again Wendesday.

Generally, I don't mind working either of those shifts, but leaving at 9 and then being back at 6AM makes me go I know she's got me opening so much because I'm training for assistant front end manager and they want me to learn that, but why, oh why does it have to follow a night shift? Two days in a row . . . *sobs*

I'm young, and I've done it before, so I'll live. But still . . .
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

My brother had that happen quite often when he was working at Lowes - would be scheduled until 11:00 one night, then have to come in at 5 in the morning. Of course, this was with the computer doing the scheduling, but eventually he had to talk with his supervisor about getting that changed.

Comment

I've had this happen on occasion. There should be a law saying that there must be at least 12 hours between shifts.
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
        I've had this happen on occasion. There should be a law saying that there must be at least 12 hours between shifts.
        But there is!

Oh, wait - you're being sarcastic, right? Sometimes your sense of humour is too dry even for me!

There is, at least in my province (I don't know about the US), a law saying that there must be at least 12 hours between shifts unless the employee has previously agreed otherwise in writing.

My boss and I commonly flout this rule when doing up my schedule, because sometimes it ends up working out better for me in the long run. But she always asks me first, as she is required to do.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          There is, at least in my province (I don't know about the US), a law saying that there must be at least 12 hours between shifts unless the employee has previously agreed otherwise in writing.
          Hmm, the only thing like that I have heard of in the US relates to jobs like truck driver and airline pilot. Basically, they have to have a certain amount of 'off-time' per day.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
            Alberta it's only 8 hours, but I believe it's supposed to include reasonable transit time, meaning that you get like an hour to get home, and an hour to get to work, then 8 hours between. Been a while since I looked that one up (had to cover my butt when I was accused of scratching a brand new print on opening weekend), so I might be off a little.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I think that law is only in play for kids under 18. We adults have to work whenever the hell our bosses tell us to, whether it means opening one day and then closing the next, etc etc.

It's just a COURTESY when employers don't purposely schedule people that way. If they really wanted to, they could.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                I think that law is only in play for kids under 18. We adults have to work whenever the hell our bosses tell us to, whether it means opening one day and then closing the next, etc etc.

It's just a COURTESY when employers don't purposely schedule people that way. If they really wanted to, they could.
                Well, Boozy and I are talking from a Canadian perspective. We all know laws can vary wildly not only between individual states, but between the US and Canada as well, so no. This law isn't just for under 18 here. It's everyone. It recognizes the fact that employers are sometimes unscrupulous, or pressed for workers, and that employees may not be able to say no without something like this in place. And related to what Geek King said, there's a whole nother set of rules for truckers and such. My dad's had his route altered about 4 times in the past 5 years because they keep changing the rules to allow for less driving time/day.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  Alberta it's only 8 hours, but I believe it's supposed to include reasonable transit time, meaning that you get like an hour to get home, and an hour to get to work, then 8 hours between.
                  Scratch what I said about Ontario being 12 hours....I believe it used to be, but now I'm told its 8. And there are a whole whack of industries and jobs that are exempt.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                    Scratch what I said about Ontario being 12 hours....I believe it used to be, but now I'm told its 8. And there are a whole whack of industries and jobs that are exempt.
                    http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/...s_covered.html

Who's covered and not under what parts, pay special attention to "part-time employees"

http://www.soscanada2000.com/hiring/...act/hours.html

Extigent points:
                    What does the law say about rest periods?

Under the ESA, employees are entitled to rest periods, that is, a certain number of hours free from having to work.
                    Daily:

An employee must receive at least 11 consecutive hours off work each day.

Between shifts:

Employees must receive at least eight hours off work between shifts.

This employment standard doesn’t apply if the total time worked on both shifts isn’t more than 13 hours. For example, someone working a split shift in a restaurant wouldn’t need to take eight hours off between shifts as long as the total time worked on the two shifts wasn’t more than 13 hours.

Comment

I have on a number of occasions gotten out at 11:30 pm (which means getting home at midnight and to sleep, if I'm lucky, around 1) and had to be back at 8 am (which means getting up by 6:30). I had one manager doing that to me 1-2 times a week, until I finally told her I wouldn't work before 9 after a closing shift (which still sucks but I didn't want to push it). I have also, on occasion, had to close and then be in at 7, but they tended to try to avoid that whenever possible (and usually they would apologize when they couldn't avoid it).
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Publix (the grocery store I work for) requires 10 hours off between shifts - even for managers. Doesn't leave much time to get lots of sleep, but it's nice.
                        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
                          Quoth Boozy View Post
                          But there is!

Oh, wait - you're being sarcastic, right? Sometimes your sense of humour is too dry even for me!
                          I was being serious. If you're scheduled to close one night and open the following morning, that doesn't give you a lot of sleep time.
                          My Fanfic Page
                          My Fiction Page
                          My Social Group
                          My Pet Social Group
                          My You Tube Channel

Comment

If I recall the worst line up I ever had on a 5 day schedule was at my old company.....my first shift of the week began at 6am and my last shift of the week began at 11pm. =p morning, morning, evening, graveyard, graveyard then back to morning. I know our HR guy ( a total douche who in his complete lack of brilliance, was thinking probably thinking "Oh well he'll be fine I'm just gradually easing him into graveyard by the end of the week!" )

Yeah, except its hard enough trying to flip back to the world of the living after graveyard shifts to begin with especially if you only have 2 days off. Nevermind getting off work Saturday morning at 7am and having to show up again at 6am Monday ( Which I have to get up at 4am in order to get to on time ). I burnt out in a matter of weeks but they kept me on those shifts for months despite my complaints. Till finally HR Douche pulled me into his office to ask me why my lates/absentees had gone up. I told "WTF do you expect?!" as politely as possible. There were only two people in the entire company with shifts this screwed up and the other guy quit inside of a month because you guys kept brushing off his complaints.

Sooo.....yeah, they changed my shifts after that. ;p

PS. Move to Canada. We have cake.

Comment

I don't like it when I get shifts that I have to close then open the next day. For me it would be 2:30 to 11:00 and opening the next day 7:00 to 5:00. By the time I get home from closing and go to sleep it is almost 1 in the morning. I have to get up at 5am to be at work by 7am. After work I just can't fall asleep fast and when I do I just dream about work

Comment

Working...
                              X