Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever quoted Aristotle in a resignation letter?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever quoted Aristotle in a resignation letter?

We had this guy working for us for all of six weeks. He was a flake from day one. Always late, could never balance his till, etc etc. And he was lazy as hell.

He was also a snob. He thought he was better than everyone else because he was in university. My co-worker and I chose not to inform him that we both have honours BA's ourselves. It was funnier to listen to him go on and on about how a liberal arts education helps you look at the world in an enlightened fashion, and how he is on a different "plane" than everyone else.

My manager finally decided we had to fire him before his probation period ended. He saw the way the wind was blowing and handed in a two page resignation letter. I did my very best to get a copy of it for you guys, but failed.

The basic gist of it was that he is living in a world of "high ideals" and while the company's aims are "righteous" in and of themselves, they are no longer "coherently co-existing" with his own "loftier philosophical aspirations". He concludes with this:

"To quote the great philosopher Aristotle, 'All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.' "

And for all his talk of "high ideals", we're now relatively certain he stole a few hundred dollars worth of wine from us.

I wonder how the smarmy son of a bitch plans on paying for his tuition next semester, without one of those "degrading" paid jobs.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Quoth Boozy View Post
    "To quote the great philosopher Aristotle, 'All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.' "
    I love this quote. It might help to point out that Aristotle was often in the employ of the wealthy when he spouted these things off. I would also like to see the full context on the situation, as I'm fairly certain he was probably advocating the sharpening of the mind after a hard days work to keep from losing your mental edge.

What? Origional topic? Oh, yeah, guy was a jerk. He's got a nasty wake-up call when he graduates. A BA in Libral Arts isn't going to help much unless you have a job that requires you to have a degree of some sort to move up, or plan to be a professor in a liberal arts program.

**Clarification** I will say that a Lib Arts degree is useful in conjunction with another degree. This could help to make you a better rounded person once you get out of the educational womb. And make you a hell of a Trivial Pursuit player.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I can see the signs now:

"Will philosophise for food."

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        I can see the signs now:

"Will philosophise for food."

Rapscallion

Oh, that is good. I have to remember that one.

Guild Wars- Ravynn Darkshine, Drasnian Silk
        MySpace- PhantasmBastion

Comment

Quoted Aristotle? No. Douglas Adams? Yes.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

To be fair, though, it wasn't my resignation letter, it was my farewell to everybody.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
            In other words, he's too lazy to keep turning up to work? It sounds like his mind is as degraded as it can get.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              I love this quote. It might help to point out that Aristotle was often in the employ of the wealthy when he spouted these things off. I would also like to see the full context on the situation, as I'm fairly certain he was probably advocating the sharpening of the mind after a hard days work to keep from losing your mental edge.
              He was also living in an era of subsistience farming. While that's possible still, it usually takes quite a bit of effort to pull it off.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post

To be fair, though, it wasn't my resignation letter, it was my farewell to everybody.
                In my last farewell, I used both Shakespeare - "Friends! Romans! Countrymen! Lend me your ears!" and the Grateful Dead - "What a long strange trip it's been".

And nary a BA in sight.

B
                "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post

When it comes time for the guy in the OP to pay off his student loans, he might want to remember "Don't panic" as well.
                  I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                    When it comes time for the guy in the OP to pay off his student loans, he might want to remember "Don't panic" as well.
                    OMG. I just actually laughed out loud. Thank you

On a related note, I wonder if the loan officers are related to the Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts, and can be ignored simply by wrapping a towel around your head? Might want to suggest that to the Aristotelian Resigner, too

Comment

Sounds like he thought his degree would enable him to laze around in a toga all day spouting bullshit while the employer throws $100 bills his way for his "enlightenment".

He could always become a stripper. I've always though stripping was a liberal art.
                      Total surrender
                      Your touch is so tender
                      Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                      And it brings me relief
                      "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                        He could always become a stripper. I've always though stripping was a liberal art.
                        It's a progressive art.
                        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                          It would have at least been a better and more wanted service than spouting out bull shit for payment. Although there are some handlers that provide that 'service ' when they're off their meds.
                          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                            'All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind.'
                            So... he wants to be Bohemian? Or just a damn, dirty hippy?
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

A 2 page resignation letter and he wasn't even there 2 months? Damn. My resignation letter after a year was less than a page, said, in essence, I will be leaving and my last day will be X/X/XX. Thank you blah blah blah. Did he think he was getting graded on it or something? ... Actually, that's not a bad idea...send it back to him with a big red F on it
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X