Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a Store, or a Public Swimming Pool?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Store, or a Public Swimming Pool?

It's about 10 minutes into the truck unload. I am scanning, my dear friend is unloading. The stack is about 8 feet high, and my friend is 5'2". In order to get the boxes off the top, they grab a corner of a bottom, tip, and get the hell out of the way. Smash.

"Uh oh," I hear.

The smell is fantastic. A case of Clorox hit the floor. As the damage-control person, I grab the bleach and throw it into a hazard bin. We get the Absorb-All, and the thin, sickly kid with the allergies goes in to sweep it up. He comes out red-faced.

As one of the scanners, my job is to run into the trailer, grab the end of the line of boxes, push them down to the other scanner, scan a few, run back into the trailer and do it again. I'm about to puke from the memory of it. I wanted to puke right there. Couldn't open my eyes.

The solution? Set up two fans to blow the stuff out (at me) and open the second trailer door. Manager takes the wet, bleached boxes I hand her, opens them up, and puts the salvage in re-pack boxes. We throw out baby food, dog food, but I guess the Halloween candy went out.

In the meantime my Dear Friend stayed in the truck and kept on working. WTF is wrong with her? I'm thinking. Her helper staggered out, retching. We had two replacements during unload. Friend manages to stay almost until the end. There's bleach soaked all the way to the back of the trailer, along with a leaked bottle of RUBBING ALCOHOL and some fabric softener.

"Hey," I say to no-one in particular, "is there any ammonia I can throw on there for good measure?"

We did not meet our goal that day. We got chewed out for it, too. Dear Friend went home after she was done unloading. Curiously, no one ruined their redshirt that day.

So, they didn't care if you got sick or not, and then got mad that goals weren't met? That is beyond messed up.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

The stack is about 8 feet high, and my friend is 5'2". In order to get the boxes off the top, they grab a corner of a bottom, tip, and get the hell out of the way. Smash.
      Ouch, that doesn't sound like a very good way to unload a truck. If I have to tip a stack, I try to go from the top. But then again I'm 6'1".

Otherwise we have a large step stool we place in the truck that allows you to reach the top of a stack. Maybe your store could consider something similar?

We've had similar situations happen at my store. Such as this. What I would have done in your case is make the managers aware of what happened so at least they know that when you miss your goal, it's because you're dealing with a hazardous spilled chemical and not because you're screwing off or anything.
      Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 09-23-2007, 01:39 AM.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
        The stack is about 8 feet high, and my friend is 5'2". In order to get the boxes off the top, they grab a corner of a bottom, tip, and get the hell out of the way. Smash.
        I take i there is an equivilent to the Health and Safety Executive (OSHA???) as that appears to be rather a dangerous practice methinks, maybe a little word in their ears might go down well to prevent you from having some sort of non medicinal cranial implant?
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
          It's about 10 minutes into the truck unload. I am scanning, my dear friend is unloading. The stack is about 8 feet high, and my friend is 5'2". In order to get the boxes off the top, they grab a corner of a bottom, tip, and get the hell out of the way. Smash.

"Uh oh," I hear.
          Sounds like the distribution center I used to deal with. Here's the story. Why do these distributors insist on putting the heavy packages on the top of tall stacks?!
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Well, I reviewed the training manual, and of course we are supposed to have a stepstool. But, you know...

...and the managers are right there with us, all day long. That day sucked.

Problem is, "we," suck, as we haven't been meeting our goals. Oh, we exceed truck unload goals daily. Green for almost 200 days.

I don't know what's going on with our team, or the store, but I can tell you that right now, the morale is not high. I just finished a 3-hour truck day, goal met. Finally. They handed us our check with smirks and glares--"you did it this time, let's see it next week." etc. Oh, I sympathize. "We" suck, as I said.

They've decided to start making those of us who seem to be working quickly shout at the rest of the team, and take responsibility for their slack--in some undefined way. Unfortunately, undefined threats seem to be the management style of this team.

Comment

*Ouch* I'm having flashbacks of unloading stuff for a certain Hobby store that has a lobby....... Their DC in Okie City was staffed entirly by temps when we were hauling their stuff. On one particular load, they put a concrete bench at the top of the pile (it was all broke down in a box). Thankfully I was driving team at the time with then SO, and he saw the box falling towards me, and knocked it away.

Comment

Working...
              X