This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice- Holidays from work during Xmas

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands, and am hoping that I can get some opinions.

My work has specific times when you are not allowed to take holidays (eg school holidays, Mothers day weekend, etc). I am not sure how closely this rule is followed, as it is basically a family run company which has about 45 stores. So we don't exactly have 'corporate'.

My issue is that I may need to take a couple of weeks off around Christmas. This is one of the times we are not allowed to have off. I know that this is one of the WORST times of the year to be short handed. I *may* be going to Europe (from Australia) to spend Christmas with my family. However, I do not know for sure. My dad is working in Italy at the moment, my neice is now living in Spain with her mum, and my brother has just moved to England. I am 99.9% sure I will have to go away (my mum wouldn't cope not having me there for Christmas).

These are my options:
    -Give them my 2 weeks notice at the beginning of December, and just accept that because I need 2-3 weeks off, I don't have a job there. But then they will be short staffed during Christmas time.
    -Tell my manager now that I may need to go to Europe for Christmas (but then what will her reaction be?!?)
    -Tell them closer to Christmas that I will definately need to go away, and see if I come back with a job. But can they fire me for not being away for Christmas?

I really REALLY like my job. It's pretty easy, it pays well, and I have been there for nearly 3 years. I don't want to screw my manager over, but I don't want to screw myself over either. I would love to come back to a job.

I just feel so lost about it. I am actually losing sleep wondering what I am going to do. I feel guilty and I haven't even done anything yet!

I think you need to be upfront about it now.

Approach it with the same rational thinking and honesty that you've shown here.
    You know it's a very bad time for them, and you don't want to leave them short-staffed, so you're giving them enough notice to prepare for it.

Explain that you aren't booking it to go bugger off somewhere - you're visiting family.

I think leaving it until closer to the day is worse, because then you really are leaving them in the lurch.

Giving your notice isn't really fair to you. You're a good and loyal employee or you wouldn't be stewing about this. They probably realize that more than you know.

Good luck.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

What Ree said

Dittoed. Tell now. That way, if it's truely an issue for them, there's still the two weeks notice option, if forced. But management usually appreciates a good heads up.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I know how you're feeling. I had to go through a similar situation last year with a former employer.

Basically, the place I was working for is open 365 days a year since they are a tourist trap and people visit all year. We weren't allowed to take any time off from Mid May through December because of heavy visitorship. I missed two weddings (a cousin of mine and a friend in Illinois) and my boyfriend missed a wedding of his good friend, all because I couldn't get the time off. I also missed Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family. And in my situation it wasn't like they were going to be short staffed or anything. They had more than enough casual workers and college students to cover the lacking shifts. Basically I told them that if I got a better job when I moved home that I wasn't going to come back to this job. Needless to say I didn't go back. I also heard this year that the staff wasn't getting any time off between March and December. Let me tell you that I'm glad to be at the job where I am now. I get to work bankers hours, I get most holidays off with pay, and I can get the time off when I need it.

I guess my advice is to weigh the options of staying with your job as opposed to leaving. Talk with them about possible rehire if you do decide to quit. Some employers are open to that possibility. If they're not, then perhaps you do need to find another job. In my house, family comes before work. And think of it this way as well, how often are you going to get to go see your family in Europe in the future? It's not like Europe is right next to Australia. I'm sure it's big money to travel that distance, just like it's expensive to travel from the states to Australia or Europe.
        Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Working...
        X