Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happiness is a hazardous confined space!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happiness is a hazardous confined space!

Yay for sarcasm!

Today I got to clean out the chlorine contact chambers! You haven't had fun until you do that!

Think of a rat maze, but on a human scale. It's 6'6" high (I'm 6'5"), 30 feet long, and 20 feet wide. It's also covered by an aluminum roof. Oh.. it's also mostly underground, so I had to climb down a ladder to get into it. No other way out. Any problems, I'm underground and have to climb a ladder to get out.

I grab my partner (must have at least 2 people for confined spaces) and I get my stuff. Heavy rubber gloves, boots, gas meter, safety glasses. Next time I want a Hazmat suit.

Thankfully, there wasn't any chlorine gas in the chamber. We ventilated the chamber for an hour before I made my descent into darkness. Oh, did I mention it was dark in there? Horror movie dark. Just enough light to see by.

It was very hot, and the humidity felt like 1000%. So I'm in this chamber, weighing an extra 30 pounds because of all my extra equipment, spraying down walls and the floor. I'm soaked, either from sweat or the hose. Both, probably. There is also a strong chlorine smell. I know there is some in there, because my eyes are watering and my nose is running. But not enough to set off the alarm.

This is what I looked like today:

It took me an hour per chamber for draining and ventilation and another hour to clean each chamber. Thankfully, this is only done every 6 months. By then there will be another new guy that gets to learn how to do it. Because I sure as Hell won't!
    Last edited by Knightmare; 09-27-2007, 10:25 AM.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

The one area of technical expertise you would not find me in when I was on the volunteer fire department was confined space search and rescue. It would make your area look good.

I'm not that great on PPE and safety procedures, but, doesn't chlorine act as a skin irritant as well?
    Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

So, this is you without the head / face gear?

Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

It sure is! Especially this stuff. Just put a drop on your hand and listen to that sizzle! Mmmm... sounds like bacon in a frying pan!

Ok, it's not that bad.

But it's chlorinated, reclaimed water in the CCC. I don't remember the ppm, but it was safe to enter.
        Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
          This is what I looked like today:
          Dale Gribble!

Comment

Working...
          X