Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New job, new boss, new problems. Help...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New job, new boss, new problems. Help...

Almost a month ago, I quit bagging groceries and went to work in a heart clinic. I work full-time in medical records and I pull charts for fourteen cardiologists.

I love figuring things out. The chart is not on the shelf, so where is it? Then I get to run around downstairs and look for it and then take it to the nurses. I kind of enjoy it.

Now I don't want to make a generalization, but nurses (here, at least) have a reputation for being, oh, I don't know... flirty-with-the-doctors-two-faced-think-they're-better-than-you-general-allaround-selfish-entitlement-whores. I love my work. I hate most of the people.

The girl who trained us (oh, and when I say 'us,' I mean myself and Van, who started the same day I did and who shares my little corner desk) taught us how to do things her way. Her way is halfway. So now Van and I are already getting yelled at for not doing a complete job when we were never taught how to.

M, the medical records supervisor, is a bitch. But she's not just the quiet, snarky-comment type of bitch. No. Apparently she's of the loud, obnoxious, in-your-face variety. She assumes that if she comes up to me and yells something, I'm going to understand exactly what she's saying. Riiight. Keep telling yourself that, chipmunk-cheeks.

M also tells us we did somethign that we know we didn't do. I don't know why. The other day, she told me one doctor was missing half of his charts, which is really not good at all. Well, she didn't know that I could prove her wrong by showing her my schedule. I was only missing two charts and one was on its way from the clinic in the next town. I showed her this, and she nodded and walked away. She did the exact same thing to Van today.

She likes to have these "meetings" with us, where I think she yells about how we're not a week ahead on our charts like Temika and Jenny were. Well... Temika had been working in medical records for four years. Jenny, over two. Van and I? Three and a half weeks each.

I don't know if she has recruited spies, or they just kind of took on the responsibility themselves, but anyway there are three girls in the office who will stand just outside our cubicle and listen to see if we talk about anyone. Lucky for us, she doesn't gossip and I don't talk (not quite comfortable with the whole 'deaf voice' thing in the small office space.)

Today, M came over to us and as usual, accused us of doing our jobs. Then she wrote down, "I am taking my son (who she brought to the office, by the way... he had been drawing in the dorner for two hours) to speech therapy. When I get back, MEETING IN MY OFFICE." Van and I actually got tears in our eyes and considered walking out while she was gone (running personal errands on the clock, I might add.)

We stuck it out. And when M got back, one of the "spies" went into her office and they were in there for fifteen minutes or so with the door closed. When she came out, she found Van and was showing her something on the schedule, and when she left, Van said she was being just grossly sweet.

GOD I don't know what to do. I love my job. I hate the people. I need the money very badly as I'm heading to college in April or so. Walking out, while it would offer some instant satisfaction (and actual SLEEP at night,) would probably be regretted later.

Help.
    "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
    -FSTDT

Personally, I'd walk out after first lining up another job. I'm of the opinion that no job is worth crying over or losing sleep over.

I get the feeling you're being set up to fail anyway, what with you not being trained properly and then getting yelled at when you're not moving so fast.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Thanks.

Ha... I just "got" your username. I've been wondering since I joined and I just figured it out.
      "several million years for a monkey to turn into a man. oh wait thats right. monkeys dont live several million years."
      -FSTDT

Comment

Is Ms bitch the end of the hierchy chain, or can you try and get some relief? Medical offices are notorious for being small, and non professional. The situation you describe is for a rather large clinic (I might be wrong..) If there is an annonymous way to complain, try that first. If there is a direct way, try that next. Being yelled at is not illegal, but it IS wrong. Professional people should act in a business-like manner. Note the period.

Comment

Quoth ContraCorriente View Post

Ha... I just "got" your username. I've been wondering since I joined and I just figured it out.
          Like it? I think it beats "Ima I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt."
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Like it? I think it beats "Ima I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt."
            I've seen your picture, I.P., and I very much doubt you could kiss your own butt

Comment

Working...
            X