Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Community Volunteers wanted - or read the stuff by the timeclock!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Volunteers wanted - or read the stuff by the timeclock!

My employer has always tried to be involved in the local community - this time, it was Marathon Kids. It was my first time volunteering for this event, though a friend of mine from another store has done it lots of times.

Well, we had 8-10 people in my store, outside of the admin types, sign up to go. Only 2 showed, counting myself (though 3 admins showed as well) - disappointing. The store my friend works at had a strong turnout, about 20 people or so.

It was really cool at the event - we got to run the first lap if we wanted to (I did), all of the local school districts showed up as well. As volunteers we also helped hand out water to everyone, tear everything down at the end, and pick through the garbage for water bottles (recyclables), along with cheer on all the kids (ranging from kindergarten to 5th grade).

We also got a free t-shirt out of the deal, and were expected to wear it during the event. It basically says "Whole Foods Market Community Volunteer Team". Well, I stopped by my store after the event to get next week's schedule. Several people asked where I got the shirt, and when I told them, they were like "when did that happen?" (the sign up sheet has been posted by the time clock for 2 months).. including a couple of managers. Even though it was announced during the last 2 store meetings. Even one guy who's supposed to be pushing this kind of stuff didn't even know it had happened.

It'd be nice if people actually paid attention to the stuff posted 6 inches from the time clock, right? A lot of my coworkers are pretty damn dense though

edit: just realized I got a nasty nasty sunburn. Damn you morning sun, damn you. And damn me for not thinking about sun screen. doh.
    Last edited by bean; 09-29-2007, 08:42 PM.
Working...
X