Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Job: Pros and Cons (Teensy bit of language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job: Pros and Cons (Teensy bit of language)

I have a new job. Fuck-a-doodle-do.

Pros:
    1 - No phones, and so Kara's and GK's customers cannot torment me.
    2 - I don't have to talk to people. Interact with them? I guess. But talking to them (e.g. "how was your day? thank you for shopping! have a wonderful, super-duper day!") is actually discouraged in my position.
    3 - I get free admission to lots of events and sports games as part of my payment.
    4 - I also get lots of free stuff (e.g. giveaways and the like) before the general public.
    5 - I may eventually get "paid" in product from a certain affiliated company, but that's still in the works.
    6 - Short commute.
    7 - As the job involves lots of volunteer work, it's more useful as a "feel good" job rather than a "make a living" job.
    8 - This job is pretty much guaranteed to keep me out of trouble. I can't really drink or do anything stupid and still be able to do the job the next day, and even if I could I wouldn't due to Con#6.

Cons:
    1 - I don't get paid. Not in money, anyway.
    2 - I can't mention the job title, as per the job description. To anyone.*
    3 - I also can't say what I do, as per the job description. Again, to anyone.*
    4 - I'm not allowed to eat or drink while on the job, except during breaks which are generally about 5 minutes long and occur about every hour or two, and are closely monitored.
    5 - The job is physically taxing (could be a pro, though) and I've come close to passing out before due to the strain it puts on my body. (I'm not out of shape. See the photo album.)
    6 - Though it hasn't been mentioned yet, and I haven't heard of it being done, at any time my employer could randomly drug test me. I've also seen the test clinic, so I know it is done from time to time.
    7 - While most people are great, every job has its sucky customers.

* Exception is given to loved ones and significant others. So the only ones who know are my parents and my girlfriend. Nobody else even knows I have a job... Except all of you. But since you don't know what my job is, it's ok.

What does this all mean? It means I will have a very unique set of sucky customers to tell you about in the near future, and because of the limitations of what I can tell you, the tales should be very interesting both to read and to write. Stay tuned!
    "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Everyone RUN! He's with Homeland Security!
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
      Everyone RUN! He's with Homeland Security!
      See Con #1 for why he couldn't be.

My bet is Lab Monkey.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
        See Con #1 for why he couldn't be.
        Given the way it's being handled right now, I would think that would be an argument for HS than against it.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Sounds like a secret government assassin to me.

Pros:
          2 - I don't have to talk to people. Interact with them? I guess. But talking to them is actually discouraged in my position.

'Hi, you're dead' BANG! Not allowed.

3 - I get free admission to lots of events and sports games as part of my payment.
          We've all see the films. He takes he seat behind some one at a baseball game. That someone won't be getting up for the Mexican wave.

5 - I may eventually get "paid" in product from a certain affiliated company, but that's still in the works.
          Smith & Wesson.

Cons:
          1 - I don't get paid. Not in money, anyway.
          He doesn't get paid, but when he kills someone he gets to keep their loot.

2 - I can't mention the job title, as per the job description. To anyone.*
          That would be the 'Secret' in Secret Government Assassin.

3 - I also can't say what I do, as per the job description. Again, to anyone.*
          See above.

7 - While most people are great, every job has its sucky customers.
          Some people stuggle right to the end.
          Last edited by cinema guy; 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM. Reason: format
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I almost said Misanthropical had it, but clearly cinema guy takes the win on this one. Also, I have a couple wonderful escapades from this weekend but I'm trying to word them in a way that won't lose me my secret govern- uh... job.
            "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Quoth MMATM View Post
              I almost said Misanthropical had it, but clearly cinema guy takes the win on this one.
              Yay!

...but I'm trying to word them in a way that won't lose me my secret govern- uh... job.
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

mythtery thopper?

*utheth lithp to throw thnoops off the thent**
                A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                - Dave Barry

Comment

I'm going with Thug #2 for a mad scientist. Great fringe benefits, so long as you don't mind the glow-in-the-dark bit.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    I'm going with Thug #2 for a mad scientist. Great fringe benefits, so long as you don't mind the glow-in-the-dark bit.
                    especially amusing when taken in conjunction with the character in Geek King's avatar.
                    Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Scout for the Witness Protection Program repertory theater?
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X