This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the US have Chip 'n' Pin Debit/Credit Cards

Just wondering if in the United States you have the same concept we have over here regarding debit/credit cards.

Since the beginning of last year we no longer sign for our goods/services and insert our card into a card reader and enter our pin number.

Theres also a new concept (not popular as of yet) where some cards has a wireless transmitter and you hover your card over a sensor and it approves any transaction under £10.

Quoth UK Worker View Post
    Just wondering if in the United States you have the same concept we have over here regarding debit/credit cards.

Since the beginning of last year we no longer sign for our goods/services and insert our card into a card reader and enter our pin number.

Theres also a new concept (not popular as of yet) where some cards has a wireless transmitter and you hover your card over a sensor and it approves any transaction under £10.
    I know the Mobil stations around here have what is known as "Speedpass". That sounds like your second concept. The first concept, we still have credit cards that require signing a receipt. Some places say that you don't have to sign for purchases under like twenty dollars (I think my old hellhole was $50.00 on self scan terminals only).
    Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Quoth UK Worker View Post
      If you're buying something from a machine you usually don't have to sign. For example the MVM's (machines you buy a subway/bus pass) only require you to enter your zip code as your pin with credit, or your pin with debit. Of course these are sold in the subway system and there's not really anybody to help you if you have a problem...the station agent can't accept credit/debit at all, and you'll just be told to mail the MTA who'll refund you within a month. I could imagine the joy this brings when something goes wrong

Comment

Our box office doesn't use chip and pin - we still swipe and the customers sign. Apparently there is a loophole in the requirement for C&P that lets our cinema out of it.

When customers express their suprise, my response is, 'Yeah, we're pretty old-fashioned."
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

We don't in Canada, though MasterCard recently came out with the "wave your card near the sensor to pay" thing, not sure about limits and such on it as I'm a Visa holder.

As for the first, our debit and credit cards are firmly seperated, and trying to move to a combined card would probably be way more hassle than it's worth. Especially as most retailers don't have machines capable of reading chipped cards.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

not to mention the proxcard style credit cards (the speedpay type ones) are apparently fairly easy for people to clone (atleast according to some of the lectures and talks i've been listening to) which just adds another layer of hassle onto the whole matter from the point of view of clerks.

either a) the only place i've used this card is your store and i have fraudulent charges, you're trying to rip me off

or b) someone using a cloned card (atleast at the start, cause who knows what the damn things are ment to look like
            It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

I've seen commercials for it and I keep thinking how bad that would be if someone stole my credit card.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I actually had a Debit/Credit Card a few months back... they wanted to run it as debit, but our machine couldnt' differentiate between credit and debit cards (There was no way for me to select which one), so the person let me run it as credit.

They weren't sucky though, as I had a 'deer in the headlights' look when I saw what the card was.

So I think Canada is a long way from taking those kind of cards.
                Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

In the U.S., most debit cards can be used with a pin or by signing for them. The banks push people to sign like a credit card, because the bank gets a fee or bigger fee from the merchant.

At Borders, debit or credit, you always sign, unless it's under $25.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth
                    In the U.S., most debit cards can be used with a pin or by signing for them. The banks push people to sign like a credit card, because the bank gets a fee or bigger fee from the merchant.
                    Not only that, many banks choose to charge a fee for people to use their PIN. My credit union (from when I lived in Virginia) charges 25¢, so I only use my PIN if I want cash back. Sure beats their $1 foreign ATM fee plus whatever fees the ATM itself charges.
                    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Working...
                    X