This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, this is my detonation device...

The last few days, I've been walking around work wearing a tiny black and purple device around my neck. It's a new thing, I'd never worn it before. I noticed some of my coworkers giving me nervous looks (moreso than normal) and a few of them looked quite genuinely alarmed.

I finally realized that they were all staring at the strange little device on a cord around my neck, and that it worried them. I finally walked up to one of them and asked what precisely they thought it was, and they managed to stammer out that it just looked "suspicious."

And so...that is how my coworkers learned what USB flash drives are.
    Last edited by MystyGlyttyr; 10-18-2007, 03:34 PM. Reason: verified the type of flash drive
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Oh, good Lord.

Is your office located under a rock?

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
      The last few days, I've been walking around work wearing a tiny black and purple device around my neck. And so...that is how my coworkers learned what USB flash drives are.
      You have a purple flash drive?!? Where where where??? TELL ME!!!
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        Oh, good Lord.

Is your office located under a rock?
        The mean age of a person employed here is about 45.

I am 25 and I pull the number down.

Hence.

Edit to Banrion: Wal-Mart! LOL
        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Damn! That is one of 2 stores I refuse to set foot in. Google here I come!
          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
            Damn! That is one of 2 stores I refuse to set foot in. Google here I come!
            Well, to help you look, it has "Attaché" or something to that effect written on the side of it, so I would assume that is the brand, and it's the 1GB version. 512 MBs were orange and 4 GB were green, or something like that.

Comment

oh oh oh, that's like Boston thinking that the promos for the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie were bombs! Can we form some sort of experimental society on an island where people aren't jackasses? pleeeaaaase?

Comment

I guess I've officially reached 'young fart' status, 'cause I have no idea what a USB flash drive is. Would someone enlighten me?

Actually, if I'd been in the position of the people at that place, my reaction would most likely have been one of curiosity rather than worry - "Hey, whassat thingie?"
                Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
                - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Quoth ForestDragon View Post
                  I guess I've officially reached 'young fart' status, 'cause I have no idea what a USB flash drive is. Would someone enlighten me?

Actually, if I'd been in the position of the people at that place, my reaction would most likely have been one of curiosity rather than worry - "Hey, whassat thingie?"

Its like a small harddrive that plugs into the usb port on your computer. You can use it to save files that won't fit on a floppy disk. I think these days most people use usb drives and very few still use floppy disks. A usb drive is basically a better version of a floppy disk and can sometimes store over 10 gigs which I assure you a floppy disk cannot.

Comment

They're also referred to by a variety of names. Falsh Drives, Thumb Drives, USB Drives, I even have way too many people call them memory sticks, which confuses the hell out of me because the memory stick is a sony flash card.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth gregmaddux17 View Post
                      Its like a small harddrive that plugs into the usb port on your computer. You can use it to save files that won't fit on a floppy disk. I think these days most people use usb drives and very few still use floppy disks. A usb drive is basically a better version of a floppy disk and can sometimes store over 10 gigs which I assure you a floppy disk cannot.
                      What's a floppy disk?

Seriously though, my PC is an HP Media Center, and it does not have a floppy drive on it. Anywhere. I was a little shocked at first.
                      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                        What's a floppy disk?

Seriously though, my PC is an HP Media Center, and it does not have a floppy drive on it. Anywhere. I was a little shocked at first.
                        took me two years to notice the floppy drive on my old computer. That revelation led me to not even putting one *in* this one.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I still put floppy drives in anything I build because a) they are cheap cheap cheap, usually only $3 or $4, and b) I have alot of boot tools that are on floppy, and it would be a big waste of CD's to burn all these tiny little dos tools to their own CD.

Comment

I remember when floppy discs really were floppy, ah the memories of having either a joystick or a mouse, and having the floppy disc to boot up the machine each time. Marvelous.
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Anyone remember the big BIG spindles that were drives? they were a little more then a foot in diameter, were 5 platters, and incased in plastic, and I think it held maybe 100 kb?

or how about the 9 inch floppy discs?
                              http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                              Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Working...
                              X