This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHW! My head...

I have a very sturdy cranium. Here are the instances (I remember) where I've been hit on the head at work.

1.) Today, I dropped a pan behind the dough press (think giant iron with a handlebar, and the ironing board rolls left or right). As I was coming back up, I neglected to remember the "ironing board" was out over my head, and WHAM~

I knocked a 100lb. machine to tilt on its side before settling. My entire head, neck and shoulder area went numb. Everyone was laughing with me about it, and they saw no blood, so I kept working.

2.) I went to turn a corner into the dining area from the kitchen, dodged a running dishwasher, and walk/fell into the wall.

3.) Opened a door in the warehouse and knocked myself in the forehead hard enough to bruise/knot and my eyebrows were stuck where they were lol

4.) I was bussing a table in the 3rd farthest room away from the buffet, and grabbed my bus tub. Walked into the 2nd room, and dodged a customer... turning a complete circle on my heel and dodging another customer coming to me from the 1st room, where I then fell and forehead-planted onto the bus tub.

Which resulted in us getting a new bus tub =3

5.) I was carrying a pan back to the sinks, and someone scared me from behind, I smacked myself in the head with the pan rather loudly.

6.) Exiting the bathroom, I jump/tripped over a loose toddler and face-planted the wall.

7.) We got the floors waxed in the kitchen (for some damn reason). I was exiting the dish area, hit a patch of water and slowly walked out of it...

...only to slip on the dry, slick floor. My feet went in front of me, my butt landed in water and my momentum propelled me into a rack of pizza (which survived), which then caused an abrpt stop and my head smash/bounced on the floor two or three times.

This is over a three year period. I'm really not a clumsy person, but I'm no Cheetara.

Uh, are all these accidents logged?

Jeez and I though I had a strong cranium (it comes with the territory, door frames are everywhere dammit), having hit my head more times than I care to remember all I can do is offer my sympathy and empathy bcause I know how much it FREAKING HURTS!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Not really. Owner-man just knows its happened, and never bothers with paperwork.

Someone always follows me home and stays by me after it happens, at least =p

I'm fine, really. No long-term damage, nothing broken or splinted, just a very strong skull lol

Comment

Quoth unholypet View Post
        nothing broken or splinted, just a very strong skull lol

Hmm, numb neck.shoulders etc doesn't sound fine to me, as a long time veteran of banging my head on door frames, roadside signs, car boots (trunks) infact anything you can think of (and some you can't) that is placed lower than 6'8 off the floor I can implore you to get this stuff recorded, at least to cover your arse.

Comment

I write down in a little book. The owner guy is weird >_>

Comment

This is over a three year period.
            I was wondering about that. I could honestly see you coming into work one day and seeing a red man suit with your name on it.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Red man suit???

Comment

Yeah, I agree. You should at the very least fill out an accident report. This could come back later on you. Sometimes it takes a while for injuries to show up.

That pic of me in the photo album was taken about an hour or two after I'd literally knocked myself out colder than a piece of concrete on a deadfall. Hence the dull, sort of unhappy look on my face. I had a slight headache. And a sprained hand. What amazes me the most about the incident is that the bruise on my forehead wasn't really noticable, and it really didn't hurt all that bad. I must have a very strong skull. I mean, it hurt, but what I remember most about the incident is being incredibly startled. I think I was out cold before the pain registered.

(And no, we are not perched on the edge of a lethal drop off as the pic suggests...The angle the pic was taken makes it look like we were much closer to the edge than we were. I avoided places that might kill me were I to pass out on them that day. )
                Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Red man suit???
                  http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1968_10725894

It's a suit that martial arts schools use to protect newcomers to the sport. They use foam padding ranging from 1/2in. to 2in thick, depending on area. All padding is coated with latex for durability. The Mythbusters have one for saftey purposes and bring it out from time to time. The next step up in protective padding has the terms "bulletproof" or "explosion-proof" as part of the name.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Ahh, I've seen that episode. My days of martial arts we were told: Tough it out, or take it home >_>

How would one fill out an accident report? /newbself

Comment

How would one fill out an accident report? /newbself
                      There should be some kind of official documentation (in UK its originally called The Accident Book) that is available to report the incident (either actual or near miss) Nine times out of ten it will sit in afile for 6 years then get shredded, however the one time you take more than three days off work/get killed/loose a limb other than a finger/have ANY kind of eye injury /have any type of heat (or lack thereof) related incident it gets bumped up to the Health and Safety Executive.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                        http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1968_10725894

It's a suit that martial arts schools use to protect newcomers to the sport. They use foam padding ranging from 1/2in. to 2in thick, depending on area. All padding is coated with latex for durability. The Mythbusters have one for saftey purposes and bring it out from time to time. The next step up in protective padding has the terms "bulletproof" or "explosion-proof" as part of the name.
                        Wow...they use suits now? When I used to go, they just taught you how to fall and how to take a blow. The rest was taught by hard knocks. Literally.

*EDIT* I mean as far as saftey gear goes. Moves, kata, and forms were taught, of course.
                        Last edited by Geek King; 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Yep, I've had some pretty good bangs on the head as well. I would be careful with the back of your head though, especially if it goes numb. There is a spot there that if you hit, you can kill yourself. Although, you'd have to hit it pretty hard. But definitely be careful. And why would they wax the kitchen?!?!
                          Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                          Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                          The Office

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            Wow...they use suits now? When I used to go, they just taught you how to fall and how to take a blow. The rest was taught by hard knocks. Literally.

*EDIT* I mean as far as saftey gear goes. Moves, kata, and forms were taught, of course.
                            Ditto! We got told it would be a good idea to invest in a cup and a mouth-piece (in case of "oopsie" moments during sparing), but other than that we went at it with nothing but our Gi between our skin and incoming knuckles.
                            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                            X