Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have plans to spend $0.05 at a local gas station one of these days...

You see, they refuse to turn on the air/water for "non-customers" (IE, anyone who isn't buying gas right then and there). I have a bicycle on which the rear tire deflates over the course of a week or so, and they were the closest gas station. The attendant who refused to let me use the air machine was quite rude about it, even threatening to call the cops on me (for asking him to turn on the air!), and calling to complain on the corporate line was no help at all.

So I took the time to educate myself in California law regarding this. California law states that gas stations must offer free air/water to customers - and for the purpose of this law, a customer is anyone who buys at least 5 cents of gas.

Comment

Quoth Nekojin
      So I took the time to educate myself in California law regarding this. California law states that gas stations must offer free air/water to customers - and for the purpose of this law, a customer is anyone who buys at least 5 cents of gas.
      Please to be taking a video of this!
      "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        Could that be a winner?
        Nah...when I worked in the counting room for an amusement park, we had a Visa charge come in from one of the park stores for $.02

The only thing we could figure is that someone bought one piece of candy from a bulk bin.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          Nah...when I worked in the counting room for an amusement park, we had a Visa charge come in from one of the park stores for $.02
          I once did a Visa refund for $0.01. It was at a site that did pre-pay after dark, and the pumos would occasionally stop $0.01 short of what the customer had paid. Since we don't have 1 and 2 cent coins anymore, company policy was to give the customer 5 cents (which no doubt lead to some people deliberately stopping 1 cent short).

One night this SC said 5 cents refund wasn't good enough, he was a "man of principle" (which apparently means "inflexible bastard") and demanded he get exactly 1 cent refunded. Since we never got 1 cent coins (there are a few in circulation still, but the Royal Australian Mint stopped making them in 1988), the only way to deal with stray cents is by credit/debit card.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Quoth edible_hat View Post
            I once did a Visa refund for $0.01.

I stand corrected.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Nekojin View Post
              I have plans to spend $0.05 at a local gas station one of these days...

In your shoes, I'd also sneak a look at their credit card machine (to see which company provides it), and check with that company whether or not there's a minimum charge to the merchant to process a credit card transaction. If there is (especially if it's over 5 cents), I'd pay for the 5 cents of gas using a credit card. Check with Visa and Mastercard as well, to see if their standard merchant agreement allows the merchant to set a minimum purchase amount below which they're allowed to refuse the card.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                Check with Visa and Mastercard as well, to see if their standard merchant agreement allows the merchant to set a minimum purchase amount below which they're allowed to refuse the card.
                They can't. They very specifically are denied that right by the contract. They're also not allowed to charge more for using a card than for cash.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                  They can't. They very specifically are denied that right by the contract. They're also not allowed to charge more for using a card than for cash.
                  Of course, that doesn't stop several merchants in my hometown from setting minimums themselves.

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                    Of course, that doesn't stop several merchants in my hometown from setting minimums themselves.
                    Narc on them and Visa will be up their ass like a rabid hamster on PCP.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Nekojin View Post
                      I have a bicycle on which the rear tire deflates over the course of a week or so, and they were the closest gas station.
                      Back when I worked at a petrol station, we would not let anyone fill up bicycle tires with our air pump - the pressure was too much and it could potentially burst the tire. It wasn't because they needed to be customers, simply because the machine was not designed for it.

But we never threatened to call the cops over it, just told kids to stop it.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I frequently buy two or three dollars of gas. Usually it's because I THINK my car has enough gas to make it home and back to town the next day, but I just want to be sure, and the next day is payday so then I can go fill the tank up regardless, heh.
                        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I've bought 0.57 cents in gas before, just trying to get home Being a poor college kid sucks sometimes.
                          Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                            Narc on them and Visa will be up their ass like a rabid hamster on PCP.
                            True that. Only problem is, I haven't had a good enough excuse to narc.

On a semi-related note, MasterCard has a form just for that...they do want a specific story of how you were denied use of your card, though. Visa takes a different approach: they have you go through the bank that issued your card.

Comment

Working...
                            X