Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone confirm this for me? (A bit stupid)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone confirm this for me? (A bit stupid)

A friend and I were talking about jobs and what not and some strange things. One of the businesses that was brought up was Hollister's hiring policy. Now we both see this as hearsay and what not but apparently in order to get hired there the person has to be asked on a date. I can see a lot of things wrong with this but I also see it as something that a Retail version of Mythbusters can only do. Just tossing it out there
    The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

I have heard things about Abercrombie & Fitch (parent of Hollister Co.) and their hiring practices [1] [2]...but that wasn't one of them.
    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Bah, Abercrombie.

They wouldn't hire me because I wear combat boots under my pants. Untrendy ho's =p

Comment

They hire you based on what you look like, but it wouldn't surprise me about the date thing.

Its the reason why I didn't get the manager job when they opened at our mall.. I wasn't their 'type'... but yet they hired 2 random people the store manager found on Myspace, who had no retail or management experience.

Comment

I wouldn't doubt it. They only seem to hire the beautiful people.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

yes . . .I can be petty . . .I am female what do you expect.

my fav was being in a A&F store with a tiny friend . . .the clerk went up and asked her if she needed in any help - friend said no - clerk just kinda glanced me up and down and started to dismiss me . . .so my reply "Too bad you don't make any tops for women with boobs" I know it was petty of me but, she was flat chested unhealthy (underweight) little twit and had offended me.

True they do make shirts that fit females with curves . . . just not my curves . . at least not in an attractive manner.
            Pictures are not necessary . . .sorry boys.

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
              Pictures are not necessary . . .sorry boys.
              aww

(just kidding, if my girl caught me looking at such hypothetical pictures she'd use me for nanchaku practice)

Comment

There are only certain clothes that Hollister and Abercrombie make that I can wear, and I have a really nice figure. Certain shirts of theirs look adorable on the flat chested or extremely underweight, but would look like a maternity top on me.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I know Abercrombie hires based on looks.

My friend Mark used to work there... I'd stop in and visit him a couple of times since we worked in the same mall. His manager would always say that I should apply because I fit their image. I finally asked Mark what their image was and he said, "basically if you're good looking, they'll hire you as long as you're not a complete nitwit."
                  When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Looks Matter

Would you buy a skateboard from a 60 year old? Get a tattoo from an artist who had no tattoos? What subculture you look like matters. For example. I had a girl turn in an application today.
                    She looked: bleach blonde, coach purse, high heels, short skirt, if she turned sideways she'd disapear kind of thin, manicure & peticure, make-up & fake lashes.
                    After she left my boss and I looked at each other and just laughed.
                    Our Best Sales Associate (BSA) passed her as she was coming on shift.
                    Our BSA looks: jeans, sneakers, slipknot T-shirt, hair pink streaked (subject to change), full figured, diffrent nail polish on each finger, pink eye shadow (to match the hair).
                    Boss looks: raven haired (dyed), tattooed, T-shirt reads Morticians Keep It Stiff, has buckeled knee high boots
                    Lady Heather looks: hair red/brown/black, boy's Van sneakers, tank top with bones of ribcage and spine on it, and red glitter devil horns
                    That little blonde girl will never work at my store, because she "doesn't fit our image".
                    Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                    The following is subject to change:
                    If Your Going Through Hell,
                    Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth Lady Heather View Post
                      That little blonde girl will never work at my store, because she "doesn't fit our image".
                      On the other hand, if you had an Black/Latin/Asian guy or girl walk in wearing the appropriate style and with the appropriate attitude, I'm pretty sure you'd hire them if they were competent and you needed the help. The big bitch is that A&F only hire those that fit the Blond-Haired/Blue-Eyed/White image of "attractive".
                      Last edited by JustADude; 10-27-2007, 01:03 PM.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                        On the other hand, if you had an Black/Latin/Asian guy or girl walk in wearing the appropriate style and with the appropriate attitude, I'm pretty sure you'd hire them if they were competent and you needed the help. The big bitch is that A&F only hire those that fit the Blond-Haired/Blue-Eyed/White image of "attractive".
                        I have seen a mixed few in our local mall there.

But, as you say. (Dyed) blonde hair, blue eyes.

Comment

Quoth Lady Heather View Post
                          Looks matter.
                          Ever hear of the saying "More than meets the eye"? I am friends with a girl who looks like this: Long black (natural hair), dresses in Hollister/ preppy type clothing, and would not look out of place in a fashion magazine. Guess what? She's a HUGE anime nerd, she speaks Japanese (Much better than I), is a video game nerd, and isn't embarrassed about it at all. My point? There are certain times when to make a decision or pass judgment based on looks (court for example) but laughing at someone and not giving them a chance for a job just because they don't fit a subculture is a silly thing to do. If I were you I'd go for what she's done based off the application, not off the way she looks because that's just foolishness displayed by your boss and others.

What my friend and I were discussing is that A&F hires on a basis of being blond haired and blue eyed despite the qualifications. If a store told me to take a hike because I didn't fit their image despite my track record then I'd (metaphorically) tell them to go fuck themselves.
                          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

She was Barbie in human form!!

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post

What my friend and I were discussing is that A&F hires on a basis of being blond haired and blue eyed despite the qualifications. If a store told me to take a hike because I didn't fit their image despite my track record then I'd (metaphorically) tell them to go fuck themselves.
                            The girls application was sad, my Boss tried to talk to her about our products. All she knew about was the Playboy stuff. She knew none of the rock bands we carry. She said she didn't want to sell our "adult" products. ect. Sometimes steryotypes are true.
                            Since I read this post yesterday I checked out the A&F where I work, and everybody there is slim, blonde (except 2 brunetts both guys), and white. No one can recall a hispanic, african american, or asian working there.
                            Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
                            The following is subject to change:
                            If Your Going Through Hell,
                            Keep Going...

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                              *insert the "I like big butts" song*

I'm not really into the preps myself, so I'd much rather just relieve a people greeter and get paid for girl watching.
                              Last edited by AKWalMartCartGuy; 10-28-2007, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X