This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefits

It's benefit enrollment time at work for 2008. Surprisingly, it came up in a meeting that 15% of employees rate our benefits package below "good". I think I'm lucky to have benefits at all... and I don't think they're all that bad.

For instance, I finally found the right pair of contact lenses and went into pick up a year's supply today. With my eye examination, four return visits to find the right lenses, and a year of somewhat pricey multifocal lenses, my share of the bill came to $8.61. "This can't be right," the clerk said. Then she looked at the paperwork... "You got some damn good insurance there. Where do you work... and are they hiring?"

I hear that a lot a pharmacies, too. I've been prescribed 3 medications in the past year that both my doctor and the pharmacist assured me almost no insurance covered. And all three times, the insurance company didn't even blink at paying the bill.

Throw in zero-deductible health insurance plus all the rest of the stuff, and I'm pretty happy with the package.

So, for those of us lucky enough to have benefits, how much do you like yours?
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Well...the price per paycheck of my health insurance doubled (although it did come down a tad because I am a non-smoker). Otherwise the costs of my dental insurance and life insurance stayed the same.

I am waiving vision insurance for next year (had an eye exam this week and am getting new glasses--$350 glasses for $87 woot) to save a little money.

Meh, I can't complain. Having $64 taken out of every check is better than having to write a check for about $250 every three months.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I can't complain about the dental coverage...x-rays, an extraction and a cleaning...each one a separate visit... I didn't have to pay a thing.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I'm still under my mom's health insurance and she works at Mayo. I've never had to pay anything for any prescription.

The only time I had to pay for something was when I fractured a sesamoid bone in my big toe, and I needed a plate to keep my toe immobile. They had to custom fit it and everything. Would've been $102... I paid $2 and some change.
        When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

All things considered, I'm very grateful to be on DH's insurance. My lawyer has a 5 inch stack of medical records, and $70,000 of medical bills from last year when I was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler. No way could I pay all that on my own. I think I've paid out about 10% of that myself.

I know you younger folks say, "I can't afford it," or "I don't need it," but do whatever it takes to get insurance! You really do need it!
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
            All things considered, I'm very grateful to be on DH's insurance. My lawyer has a 5 inch stack of medical records, and $70,000 of medical bills from last year when I was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler. No way could I pay all that on my own. I think I've paid out about 10% of that myself.
            Your car insurance company and/or the 18-wheeler's driver's insurance didn't pay for that?

Health insurance is a big deal, I love mine (mostly) - but total coverage on your car can be something that is very valuable too!

Comment

I've never had benefits of my own, the last time I had medical insurance was when I was on my moms plan. Couple of reasons really... Two of my jobs (Party City, Gamestop) were part time so I wasn't eligible, Mega Movies, well I don't even know if they offered health insurance, not like I was there long enough to take part in it... And Radio Shack I apparently missed the Benefits fair or...whatever when I was actually hired, and just didn't think I could afford it when it came up again (I was living Paycheck to Paycheck)

I probably won't be taking Benefits at Toys R Us (not sure of my job status Full time Part time yet anyway) simply because I have bills to pay, I've been out of work for a long ass time and my credit card and Cell Phone bills come FIRST. My first second and however many checks it takes to pay them off will be dumped into my bills (minus a small living cost) until I am finally caught up.

I know this may sound stupid, but I had never actually needed it, really. I have perfect 20/20 vision, I can't remember the last time I've been (seriously) sick, and my teeth are in perfect shape -clacks teeth.-

Not to say I will never get them, I just need to have a comfortable financial situation first.
              "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
              ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post

I know you younger folks say, "I can't afford it," or "I don't need it," but do whatever it takes to get insurance! You really do need it!
                I agree... you never know when you're going to need it.

On the other hand, it seems the lower pay at the job, the more benefits cost. My sister makes considerably less than I do and pays almost as much every two weeks as I pay in a month.

But... you never know what's going to happen. A few years ago, I had a problem with my elbow. It wasn't all that serious, but the orthopedic surgeon recommended rest as the best cure, rest being not using a keyboard eight hours a day. I was off for six months, and never missed a paycheck due to short-term disability.

Used to be, when I looked for a job, all I cared about was base pay. The older I get, the more I equally look at the benefits package. Life is too full of surprises... I like knowing any medical bills and income are protected in pretty much every way.
                I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Wow, 2 pairs of glasses (regular and sun) cost me 500 bucks after insurance! And that was better than their half-price lenses with purchase of frame deal. (I am dreading my next Discover bill.)
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post

a high deductible can save money on how much you pay, and it covers you for something catastrophic.

Comment

Being a part-timer, the only benefit I get through my library job is a free bus card and some life insurance policy. Macy's did offer health insurance to part-timers, but I never signed up for it because from what I could see, it didn't cover pre-existing conditions at all. (which, since I have asthma, was a big problem for me)

Comment

i'm not to happy with my insurance. i knew they were gonna cover all of the cost of the delivery for the pregancy but they won't pay for the anesthesia at all. i had to have a c-section (one baby was breech) and you can't do that with out anesthesia. also then babies are on this special formula thats about $40 for a small can (last both babies about a day/day and a half) so it cost lots of money and medicaid covers it, and wic says they help, oh, but my insurance wont cover it.

Comment

I <3 my insurance/benefits through work. I have two daily prescription meds (Allegra so I can keep my kitties and not die during hay season, and Ortho to maintain my girly problems), and I have to see my GYN at least every 3-6 months to keep checking up on a recurring health issue. I also have had braces, occasionally get cavities no matter how good to my teeth I am, and wear contacts/glasses. My insurance helps cover lots of this. I also get a "spending account" of tax-free $$$ taken from each paycheck to be used to pay my deductibles or other related costs.

My coworkers often ask why I didn't stick with my original "chosen" field, Zoology, and went into a corporate environment instead. I don't like to advertise it, but a bigger paycheck and great benefits are two of the main reasons. Benefits like good health insurance are HUGE.
                          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post

So, for those of us lucky enough to have benefits, how much do you like yours?
                            I work at a place that has benefits for part timers, and open enrollment ended yesterday. To insure myself and my children, it would take my whole paycheck, most pay periods. For the high option, that is. For the low option, I could have saved...oh 40 bucks, and still had crappy insurance.

My children are on Medicaid. Me, I just hope I don't get sick or injured. Gotta love the US system. gah.
                            you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

simplyanother - I take it then, that you couldn't get on Medicaid for yourself? Not that I am trying to be nosy, but I've had issues with Medicaid before, so it's always interesting to know what other's experiences are.

Comment

Working...
                              X