• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    Ours is pretty simple.

Run out nearest door
    Meet outside in parking lot.
    We have periodic drills, one 2 years ago scared the s*it out of me - on a call, I yell because the alarm starts VERY LOUD and VERY CLOSE, I apologized, told the cust to call back, grabbed my stuff and went out the EE.
    Testing
    "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

At the shopping centre where I work, it has gotten to a point where we are expected to ignore the alarms when they go off. One day they had gone off for a few minutes, we ended up calling centre management and they said "Oh don't worry, if there is anything wrong, we will call you." That's comforting.

Comment

My store has no fire alarms. Emergency procedures call for somebody to make a page over the PA saying we will be losing power and everybody has to leave right away. I guess this is to avoid a panic and stampede for the exits.

There are two occasions, maybe 3, that I know of where we've had to evacuate:
        • 20 years ago, there was a big fire in the strip mall attached to the store caused by an electrical short. The fire spread quickly because it was in the ceiling above the sprinklers and there were no fire breaks in the ceilings (building codes being what they were in the early to mid 70s, I guess). My mom was working there at the time this happened, and she came home and then we went to watch all the excitement. The store itself suffered only some water damage and had to discard a bunch of merchandise because it reeked of smoke.
          Heh, I still remember the exact date this happened: July 4, 1987. Talk about fireworks.
        • There was a gas leak at one of the stores in the strip mall, pretty far from the store, but we evacuated customers just to be safe. We employees stayed in the store and had like an hour and a half break. This happened on the day after Christmas, 2001.
        • Also some years ago, somebody set a rack of clothing on fire.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdeta...storyID=126630 (I will delete this in a couple of days, because i dont want it advertised where I work)

while everyone else was evacuating, we were sitting upstairs being told it wasnt our building by the building managers, the same ones who had staff emptying out the buildings lower floors.....

at reception we are also supposed to have a fire curtain drop, that didnt happen either.

we will find out what happened at the meeting tomorrow Im going to guess
          I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Andrew Russell says he cannot see any flames but smoke is billowing through the complex. He says there is something gritty in the smoke that is hurting his eyes, and it smells awful.

Somebody give the man a Pulitzer!
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              My store has no fire alarms.
              My store is quite the opposite. If one fire alarm goes off anywhere in the entire strip mall, ALL of them go off. Sirens and stobes alike. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

I did have to laugh a little at some SCs awhile back though - I was pulling out of a fast food place, and saw firetrucks barreling into the parking lot. Turns out there was a small fire in one of the stores in the next building. SC's still parked their cars and tried to walk AROUND the firemen and hoses and into the building! I laughed my ass off when I saw firemen chasing them back out of the building. (turned out to be a fire in one of the air conditioners, the building only had smoke damage)

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                I never got officially briefed, but I think I've got the jist.

1a) Smother tiny ones
                1b) Dump the extinguisher on medium+ ones, if feasible
                2) If it doesn't go out, make tracks for the front doors or the back door, whichever ISN'T on the other side of the flames.
                3) Call the GM.
                Nope. It is always:

1, One, First, numero uno: sound the alarm.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

What's fun is when you are testing the fire alarm at the West Unit (psych ward) of the local hospital. Hospital's Communications Dept. was called and informed so they could put the dialer in test mode and so they could alert FD Dispatch. Comms. Dept. failed to do so. Trucks rolled. Much yelling ensued.

FYI - when working at the Psych Ward do not wear a Sturgis Rally t-shirt as half the residents also wear those t-shirts and you might not be able to get out of the ward. "Jayce? No we don't have a technician named Jayce* working here." He he, have a nice day in the rubber room Jayce.

*Not the tech's real name but a real threat I tell the guys when they are working over there.
                  Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Working...
                  X