Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dept Party (or why I like working here)

Once a year in my store, each department has a team build (not all at the same time obviously). Basically, the morning shift works, then people from other departments/stores fill in for the mid/closing shift, and the store pays for that dept to go out and have a good time.

Depending how good of a time it is, we may even be on the clock for it (i.e. no alcohol).

Several months ago, my old department had a team build - the store paid for tickets to a soccer game (FC Dallas), my boss had a keg at his house. Obviously, not on the clock, but we had a lot of fun.

Tomorrow is grocery's team build - this is my second week in grocery. We're going to a hockey game (specifically, Dallas Stars), then going back to the grocery manager's house to, well, get shitfaced (he told me he's getting a keg as well). Except we're carpooling to the train station then taking the train to the game (in anticipation of a lot of people drinking at the game).

Frontend's last team build? They went to a movie. Bakery's? They played board games at the dept manager's house. The rest of the store knows how to party.

Also, a lot of people in my old department are jealous that I'm getting to attend 2 team builds in 1 year.
    Last edited by bean; 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM.

You suck Wish we would have a team build at my store...

Of course the last Christmas party, or any party for that matter, that we had was 4 years ago.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

What company do you work for?

Comment

Quoth gregmaddux17 View Post
        What company do you work for?
        Whole Foods.

I'm not sure if every region has team builds, but all of the ones in mine (Southwest) do.

Comment

It sounds like you're going to have fun. Wish they would open up a Whole Foods in Fort Worth. From your posts, it seems like it would be a pretty good place to work.
          Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
            It sounds like you're going to have fun. Wish they would open up a Whole Foods in Fort Worth. From your posts, it seems like it would be a pretty good place to work.
            There's one in Arlington - closest one to you though. It's on Lamar if I remember right.

One of our assistant store managers used to be at the Arlington store - and still lives there. He said he drives 47 miles each way. You should have seen his face when I told him I'm lucky to drive 47 miles a week (my commute each way is just a hair shy of 2 miles). I think I started this year with 88k or so on my car, it's at about 94600 now, and that's including a trip to Austin.

edit: just checked the list of stores in development, surprised that there's not one planned in that area. DFW has 6 right now (with 2 in development, though one is a relocation of the Greenville store)... only 1 is on the west side of the metro area. Go figure.
            Last edited by bean; 11-02-2007, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
              DFW has 6 right now (with 2 in development, though one is a relocation of the Greenville store)...
              I saw that the Greenville store was being relocated and went, "Oh maaa....wait. I don't go to Dallas any more, so I won't miss that one!" Since Austin moved theirs from Ben White at South Lamar to downtown area, I've not been back. Especially since they moved it across 6th Street to the new location. I just can't handle all that traffic. Oh well...Central Market will have to do.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Lamar is insanely busy even on weekdays - I made the mistake of dropping in there on a Monday last time I was in Austin. The North Austin store isn't as bad, but they're relocating soon as well - new store should be about double the size of the existing one.

Also the party was a lot of fun. BBQ, beer, and hockey. I also work with a ton of degenerates who enjoy immature fun. I saw a LOT of nervous faces when we got on the train to head back. More of a "Oh crap look at these drunk jackasses what's gonna happen are they gonna rob us?" looks.

.... found out my boss is 2 years younger than me too. I feel old now, and I'm not even 30. He's been with the company for 8 years though, I'm about to hit 1 year. Lights a fire under my ass to work my way up faster.

Comment

Working...
                X