This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gurndigarn
    Anyone else ever play with one of the first-gen flat-panel iMacs? The ones that look like a half-ball with a monitor stuck on the top? I did both the hard drive and the optical drive at different times on that one. It was an interesting experience.
    My mom still has one, in fact...largely unused. She tends to use the 14" iBook G4 I handed down to her instead.
    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
      My mom still has one, in fact...largely unused. She tends to use the 14" iBook G4 I handed down to her instead.
      I was actually talking about playing with the guts of one. Kind of interesting architecture.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
        I was actually talking about playing with the guts of one. Kind of interesting architecture.
        And the fact that it's unused means I could play with the guts of one if I were so inclined.

/it's all good
        "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Before I graduated high school, I was looking into laptops and wanted something of a good value. I literally worked my butt off for my current laptop (Macbook). So far I've only had to put in more hard drive space.

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
          Anyone else ever play with one of the first-gen flat-panel iMacs? The ones that look like a half-ball with a monitor stuck on the top?
          Never used one but I've seen one on display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/DCP_7921.jpg
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
            Was it ever used as a portable machine? £3000 will get you an awesome desktop, or $2000 + $1000 for future upgrades .
            Yeah it was actually used soley as a portable when I first got it. The $3000 is in Australian dollars too BTW.
            SC:What makes you think you can tell me how to do this?
            ME:Because I finished Pre-school, Elementary School, High School
            and College first time. Now: Red wire is positive.

Comment

Quoth ditchdj View Post
              The ONLY time I expect to pay 3 Grand for ANY computer will be when it's American-made by a union employee making $17 an hour with full benefits and retirement. Anything elset that's made by Asian slave labor for THAT much is nothing but pure profit.
              How about $3000 in parts and shipping and you slap it together yourself, getting a rig that'd cost you $4k-5k retail?
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Let's face it, for a $300.00 laptop, SCs hoardes will flood the wide-open spaces of your friendly super Wal-Mart while foaming at the mouths for that ever-elusive "bargain". Yeah, I bet there will be returns, and someone will be in line right after them to buy the piece of crap just returned.

Isn't retail grand?
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Those laptops arn't so bad when you upgrade them to Windows XP instead of Windows ME Vista.

Heck, I'm a computer geek and I'm using computers from 2001 and 2002.

As someone once said: "You can make a Barn Door fly if you have enough horsepower." Same with Vista. Get a powerful computer and things work out. However a nicely tuned, but slower, computer will often do the same job at a fraction of the price.
                  "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Amazon has this one on their sale for $299, but you have to vote for it and see if you "win" to be able to buy it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&n=541966&s=pc
                    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                      From what I understand, Wal-Mart is going to have $300 laptops on Black Friday. That's nice. It really is BUT the 1st thing I would ask when looking at these "bargain" laptops is what they DON'T have included that makes them so super cheap.
                      I'd hate to be the cashier that sells somebody these things only to have the customer come in the next day screaming up a storm that it didn't have so & so & they want their money back.
                      I'm sure I'll be hearing some horror stories about that from a friend of mine who works for WM in the Electronics department. Poor thing has to work 10-7 today.

Even worse for her: she's scheduled to clock in tomorrow at 4:45 just in time for the 5 am stampede.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                      X