HelplessDesk rides again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HelplessDesk rides again!

Our company helpdesk has a not-great reputation; the onsite techs are great, but Tier 1 is...ugh. They changed helpdesk stuff around in May, and not for the better (one of many problems is that you now have to go through 3 additional layers of irrelevant IVR menus to get to what was near-immediate previously).

The in-house software that my department uses has been inaccessible on my primary computer since Wednesday. It had been giving us sporadic minor issues for about 2 weeks additional, but those could be worked around and weren't worth opening a ticket. Finally some update or another (probably related to Patch Tuesday) actually broke something big.

Wednesday: I notice something's really wrong when I first log in on my computer and it loads properly for maybe 3 seconds (not even enough time for me to view a pending order, just see that there is one live) before "Unable to contact server". Uh oh. I log in upstairs with no problem and haul ass to complete the open order, then call the Helldesk to open a ticket. get a callback, we go through all the troubleshooting steps I already tried. The ticket gets escalated until...

...midday Thursday with no resolution, I discover that the ticket has been closed because they tried to call on Wednesday evening (long after I'd left) and either nobody picked up the call, or someone did but did not relay it to a manager. I had advised all the managers about what was going on and told both the agent and all the CSDH's that a callback could be given to any of the managers if I wasn't available. I call again and reopen the ticket; I couldn't get an answer as to why it had been closed with no resolution. Again I tell the agent that they can speak to any of the managers if I'm not available.

The truly odd thing about this debacle is that the issue is only with this software on my specific computer on the salesfloor. The same program up on the office computers works fine, but I have to run upstairs each time an order drops, and printing the labels takes an extra step or three.

Friday morning with no fix, ASM calls the Helldesk with the ticket number to check on the status...only to learn that that ticket had also been closed when they tried to call the store after I'd left for the day. Same thing on Saturday.

Yesterday was awful, with orders dropping fast and furious and my job was made worse by the fact that it took twice as long to print the paperwork. And I was also forced to handle Insta and pickups on my own.

A tech finally showed up today; the front end had some more equipment failing so I guess the company decided to sit on a pile of tickets until my store had what they considered a decent amount...my ticket was probably the most critical of them all.

The tech reimaged my PC three times, and the issue persists. I brought up the idea of temporarily swapping my computer out with the known-good one from upstairs; if that one worked, it would confirm a hardware failure (my PC is in a locked drawer under the printer which accumulates a LOT of dust; the other units are out on desks with good airflow). No, can't do that, "it's too difficult".

This damn well better be fixed before the end of the month...
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

If it's connecting then losing that connection, it sounds like a router or firewall issue; at the start of the day whatever is watching for this activity has stopped blocking access because it's not been attempted for a while, then as soon as it realises you've made it through it flips the switch. I bet it's something intended to stop you from doing things like websurfing which you probably couldn't do anyway even if you had the time, but it's so poorly configured that it just freaks out on all inter/intranet access.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

This particular program isn't even connecting (Connection Timeout). Internet access is fine...and the program can be launched over the intranet but even that's not working yet it does work on the other computers.

As far as we can tell, the configuration is the exact same as the PCs that are working, and the Windows diagnostics tell us nothing useful. Everything is configured correctly, but for some reason that specific site just isn't responding to that particular machine in any way.

We've had numerous phone convos (tickets keep getting inexplicably closed so there's no 'paper trail' at all--augh!) and I think two techs in here; the most that's been done is reload the OS about six times (upon which I find out that our systems are Win10, not 11 as was previously thought). I still think that swapping it out with a known-good PC will at least help to diagnose further...while I can do that myself, none of us know if the company has some physical configurations that doing so would break. Being that this is a company computer I can't see the network details that I (and the other managers) want to. I can't run ping or traceroute either (can't tell if that's been intentionally blocked).

It's been escalated to the firewall team now...we still want to know exactly why this PC in particular suddenly stopped working (it did happen right after a flood of updates so something must have gotten broken in a new and unique way...but it was a bad update I'd think that it would affect the program on all machines).

Comment

Finally, a new ticket was opened--this is number 4 for the same issue--after one of our AMs dealt with support and chewed the rep a new one...long story short, the rep had him not only walk through all the steps we had already done multiple times a day for the past week (wasting I don't know how much time), but sent him a Teams invitation...none of the computers have webcams or mics, and my PC had Teams installed in the very beginning but had been reimaged so many times since then that it's no longer on there (I think we figured out a few updates ago that it was causing odd behavior with this program and due to no webcam it would be near-pointless for me to have anyway).

I do have on record that another tech is going to be dispatched and "the computer might need to be replaced" (manager M then logged into the ticket and commented "yeah, that's what we've been trying to explain to you for a week"). M was going to perform the physical swap tonight; as he confirmed, the upstairs computers have no reason to access my program if my PC is working--as long as they can get online it's fine.

Comment

Good luck with the hardware swap!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

M didn't get a chance last night and I wasn't able to do it...well, I could have seeing that $PickupSystem just happened to be down companywide anyway; but not only was I overruled by one of the AMs--in all likelihood IT did have some configuration that doing so would have broken--but reading back through the ....40 or so ticket emails I would have gotten yelled at by the helpdesk for complicating some procedure or other they were involved in. I can't figure out WTF they're even trying to do anymore. Tomorrow I'm tempted to simply unplug it entirely for a few minutes and plug it back in again to see if that actually does anything.

The only thing that actually got accomplished by HelplessDesk was a realization that it's not an issue with the firewall or central server (I could've told em that and did, many times) but probably our local server. Which would seem to track as we've been getting daily alarms from the server closet (which of course nobody knows how to fix), usually coinciding with one or more of the registers deciding to fail.

I wasted 10 or so minutes on the phone again this afternoon, going through the exact same steps. I've had it with this issue, and have instructed the managers not to involve me in phone troubleshooting unless it's absolutely unavoidable; being tied up on the phone literally prevents me from working as I'm expected to cover so much more in addition to online pickup (managers also have the 'authorization" to go off on someone with no repercussions, where I don't). We can't escalate the ticket to a Priority 1 as technically the system is working (P1 is only reserved for an actual work stoppage along the lines of "holy shit the whole thing is literally on fire").

P compared this disaster to a Python skit. I've gone through the exact same phone troubleshooting five times with three different techs, and P has calculated that we've wasted close to a full shift for me in total.

Comment

If this technology simply just quit working entirely, would anyone notice?
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Yes, all the shoppers relying on it.

Comment

Working...
                X