This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Geek King View Post
    I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Undeveloped countries could have the same rise, but be unable to tell you why a particular person died.

... And that my friends, is why they are 'on the rise'. People have always been allergic, will always be allergic. It's commonly passed down through are genes, wither dominant or recessive. Thing is, before we had all this diagnostic know how, people died for no reason and that was just how life was.

People who were highly allergic to things DIED. They commonly DIDN'T MAKE IT to adult hood.

There aren't MORE people now with allergies, just LESS of them DIE because of them, because we're able to test for them and take precautions. Personally I'm quite glad for that, because if not, one of my best freinds probably would have keeled over from allergic shock ages ago, rather then have been properly diagnosed as a toddler after her first attack tipped them off. I'm quite sure my life would be missing something without her.

Comment

Quoth WanderingSaint View Post
      ... And that my friends, is why they are 'on the rise'. People have always been allergic, will always be allergic. It's commonly passed down through are genes, wither dominant or recessive. Thing is, before we had all this diagnostic know how, people died for no reason and that was just how life was.

People who were highly allergic to things DIED. They commonly DIDN'T MAKE IT to adult hood.

There aren't MORE people now with allergies, just LESS of them DIE because of them, because we're able to test for them and take precautions. Personally I'm quite glad for that, because if not, one of my best freinds probably would have keeled over from allergic shock ages ago, rather then have been properly diagnosed as a toddler after her first attack tipped them off. I'm quite sure my life would be missing something without her.
      Thank you! I was debating whether or not to make this point. And I'm glad your friend is okay
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

There are other causal factors here, not just genetics.

Children's systems develop gradually. They gradually develop the ability to digest different foods. It doesn't happen all at once.

If a child is given a type of food too early, or too much of a hard to digest food, the child can become sensitized to the point of developing an allergy, even a severe allergy. The body becomes so sensitized it overreacts to the stimilus of the food. Now, these children may have already had a genetic pre-disposition to be sensitive to these foods, but if they had avoided or had limited contact with these foods until adulthood, they may very well have never developed an allergy.

The high exposure levels of certain foods in prepared food products (especially peanuts, but also soy and certain other grains) has apparently resulted in a greater number of children developing sensitivities to these foods.

If you read the label of many of the prepared foods (hot dogs, lunch meat, frozen meals, canned foods, cereal, etc.) you probably purchase casually, and with little thought beyond taste, you might find yourself very surprised at what they actually contain. Since I'm gluten intolerant (genetic, very common, possibly as high as 1% of the population, and apparently growing due to these factors), I've made a point of reading labels. I've had to give up a lot of foods that I would have considered safe to eat.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          The high exposure levels of certain foods in prepared food products (especially peanuts, but also soy and certain other grains) has apparently resulted in a greater number of children developing sensitivities to these foods.

If you read the label of many of the prepared foods (hot dogs, lunch meat, frozen meals, canned foods, cereal, etc.) you probably purchase casually, and with little thought beyond taste, you might find yourself very surprised at what they actually contain.
          I had a roommate allergic to soy. Threw off a lot of waitresses, lemme tell you. Also, I know about labelling. I was most disappointed to realize how many of those cheap and nominally healthy dinners have peppers in them, which I have a minor allergy to, and would like to keep it from being a full-blown allergy.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
          X