This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo! Test drives are FUN!

I got to test drive on of these (click on the shelby 500 convertible) yesterday. Someone bought it from the Ford house had it for a few weeks and then traded it in for somethinga bit more sensible.

Some people are simply amazing.

Those mustang's are proof.

Even though I'm not really a "Ford guy," if I had that sort of cash, I'd go for it. Something about a 4-cylinder engine in a $25,000 sports car rubs me the wrong way
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Mmmm. I'm not too huge a Ford fan, but Mustangs are BEAUTIFUL! I definitely wouldn't mind getting one for myself.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

The 2.4 engine in the Sky, while decent, is a little lacking for a car that weight, and with rear-wheel drive. The Red Line model (in Europe, this is known as the latest Opel GT) is a completely different story. Smaller engine, yes, but they put in one serious turbocharger that will snap you back in your seat the moment you let your foot off the clutch and apply the gas in 2nd gear. (Yes, for the slushbox-inclined, they make them that way, too.)

They were rare in '07, so I only got to sell one of them. When I did, though, I got the pleasure of driving it to the gas station to get filled up, then around just enough of a block to get a good feel of the acceleration. Good thing there weren't any cops around on the ride
        "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
          Good thing there weren't any cops around on the ride
          I know that feeling.

I also know what you mean about those Redline Skys. Those things are fun too. It's just too bad that on our normal test drive route there's a school zone that covers more than half of it. Most of the time theres no oppurtunity to really open anything up. But when the school day is done there's never anyone around. That makes it perfect.

Comment

That's one thing I loved about working at a Ford dealership a few years ago: the test rides. We had to know how the car performed, right?
            So we grabbed the keys and took the car for a spin.

Mustangs: small, but nice. I was surprised my 6'4" frame fit into one (barely).
            T-Bird: Holy crap are they small on the inside! I had to drive one a few miles from the dealership to a park where we were doing a show. SMALL!!! No head room.
            I had to move the seat back as far as it would go, and then tilt it down, but there was still no room. Good thing it was a convertible.

Trucks? Ahh... love Ford trucks. Especially the big F250's with the diesel engine.

So if I had the money to splurge, I'd get a truck. Just because I can fit in them.
            Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth coldcupofjoe View Post
              I got to test drive one of these (click on the shelby 500 convertible) yesterday.
              I hate you so very much.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

One VERY nice customer let me that her H2 Hummer for a spin. That was nice.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  I hate you so very much.
                  Tell ya what Jester. Come out here and mix some drinks and do some magic tricks and I'll see what I can about getting you a test drive in that mustang.

I'll say something like 'I'm not sure this car is perfoming as well as it should be, I'm gonna take it for a spin or two. This guy is an expert on these mustangs so I'm gonna take him along.'

I know where all the street racers out here go and race and we can go out there and whoop some ass. How's that sound?

Comment

My mom had two Mustangs: A '66 and a '73. Very cool cars appearance-wise, but mechanical pieces of shit. I recall the '73 Mustang stalling just about every time it came to a complete stop.

And then there was my dad's Ford truck, which also had a stalling problem and called it quits in a fiery manner with only about 40,000 miles on the odometer.

Needless to say, I will never own or drive a Ford product.
                    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      My mom had two Mustangs: A '66 and a '73. Very cool cars appearance-wise, but mechanical pieces of shit. I recall the '73 Mustang stalling just about every time it came to a complete stop.
                      Just curious, but did the '73 have the 4-cylinder engine, and stall if you came to a complete stop with the A/C on? At some point in the '70s, Mustangs used the same A/C compressor as the big Lincolns - and it needed more power to run than the 4-cylinder Mustangs developed at idle. Naturally, if you came to a stop (and let the engine drop to idle) with the A/C on, it would stall the engine.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth coldcupofjoe View Post
                        Tell ya what Jester. Come out here and mix some drinks and do some magic tricks and I'll see what I can about getting you a test drive in that mustang.

How's that sound?
                        Well, sounds all well and good, but my friend Pilot has already promised me he will actually let me DRIVE his new (used, but new to him) black Porsche 911 next time I am out in L.A. Since that is my favorite car ever, I can't complain.

Not that I would mind your deal, but it sounds like I am giving away free services for a simple test drive. I don't know, doesn't sound like the best deal to me!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Just curious, but did the '73 have the 4-cylinder engine, and stall if you came to a complete stop with the A/C on? At some point in the '70s, Mustangs used the same A/C compressor as the big Lincolns - and it needed more power to run than the 4-cylinder Mustangs developed at idle. Naturally, if you came to a stop (and let the engine drop to idle) with the A/C on, it would stall the engine.
                          I have absolutely no clue about the engine. The car was sold when I was 6.

I do not remember it having A/C though.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                          X